Old September 28th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default TOOL FOR CUTTING EARTH & BURYING RADIALS ????

A friend of mine told me that at Dayton, over the past few years, he has seen a
tool that looks like a lineoleum knife with a small tube welded onto it for
cutting the earth and burying an antenna radial at the same time. You feed the
wire through the tube, and as the tool cuts the earth, it dispenses and buries
the wire. Has anyone seen this tool, and who makes it ??? Where can I buy one
???

RON...KA2IIA
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Old September 28th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Ron Goldstein--KA2IIA" wrote in message
: A friend of mine told me that at Dayton, over the past few years, he has
seen a
: tool that looks like a lineoleum knife with a small tube welded onto it
for
: cutting the earth and burying an antenna radial at the same time. You feed
the
: wire through the tube, and as the tool cuts the earth, it dispenses and
buries
: the wire. Has anyone seen this tool, and who makes it ??? Where can I buy
one
: ???

Sounds like a mini ditch witch LOL!

:
:
: RON...KA2IIA
: ================================================== ======
: Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Old September 28th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I can second that method from personal experience. When I installed my
ground mounted Hustler 5-BTV I laid the 72 radials on top of the ground (
this happened to be in the dead of winter with very little grass height) and
held them in place with 1 1/2" "fence staples" pushed into the earth. I then
covered them lightly with some soil and next summer they were well beneath
the grass height and no issues with the lawn mower.

Pictures (before & after) of the entire installation here at this page.

1. http://www.ad5th.com/5-BTV.html

73,
Charlie - AD5TH

Old September 28th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Chain Saw ??

Old September 29th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Caveat Lector wrote:
Chain Saw ??

I used a chain saw to cut troughs for my radials. It worked pretty
well. It also worked fast. The chain isn't much good for anything else,
so an old chain would be best.

a bit of disclaimer:

Yes, I know it's a crazy thing to do, and I don't advise using a chain
saw to dig troughs for radials. Don't ever ever ever use a chain saw for
that purpose........

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Quarterwave vertical with radials David Antenna 97 July 26th 06 01:29 PM
Length & number of radials Reg Edwards Antenna 69 July 24th 06 07:10 PM
Radials hasan schiers Antenna 0 March 22nd 06 10:42 PM
LLoyd Davies is a TOOL FELLATOR! [email protected] General 0 November 7th 05 08:40 PM
LLoyd Davies is a TOOL FELLATOR! [email protected] Shortwave 0 November 7th 05 08:40 PM