Old October 5th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Problem with off topic postings in antenna newsgroup

I am sure you all have been experiencing the recent onslaught of off
topic postings in the antenna newsgroup. Subjects such as CB, code,
etc. Character assinations, childish BS. What follows is an idea I
have to combat this foolishness. I am dead serious about this. If
you are interested in participating, read on.

It happens when someone initiates a posting and "cross posts" it to
multiple newsgroups including rec.radio.amateur.antenna. They do this
because they think they reach a wider audience, instead of confining
their subject to the appropriate newsgroup (such as, possibly,
rec.radio.amateur.policy). They really aren't too smart and they
don't have any manners or or appreciation of netiquette at all. Then
what happens is someone sees their posting and decides to add their 2
cents worth, and they just use the default list of newsgroups which
was included in the original posting, and voila! their reply also goes
to 6 different newsgroups.

I have an idea to rid us of this littering. Take an off topic
posting, do a reply to it, be sure to edit your posting so that it
DOES NOT appear in the antenna newsgroup. This is vital. In your
reply posting just post a simple one line message, something like "I
agree" or "yeah, right on Dude." Do it as many times as your energy
lasts. (It would not hurt to edit your reply email to some bogus
address so you do not get flames).

Now, when someone in another newsgroup sees the offending thread, they
will begin reading it, and see dozens of useless messages (all those
"I agree, Dude" messages). Remember, these replies are not showing up
in the antenna newsgroup. After someone has read 50 of them they will
get the message. If they choose to do a reply, remember they are not
smart enough to know better, their reply will only go to the
newsgroups which you have left in place.

Ok? Agree? Pick the next crap, off topic posting you see and fire
away, along with me.

Rick K2XT
Old October 5th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hi Rick, Sounds like an idea. The moronic trash is certainly irritating.
My answer is to add all such postings to my "Blocked senders" list,
and I don't see it anymore. I just have to watch that I do not add
Richard Clark, and others, who sometimes respond to the postings.

Regards,

Frank

Old October 5th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Rick wrote:
Now, when someone in another newsgroup sees the offending thread, they
will begin reading it, and see dozens of useless messages (all those
"I agree, Dude" messages). Remember, these replies are not showing up
in the antenna newsgroup.

What's to keep the same low-lifes from replying, "I agree
too, Dude", and re-directing it back to r.r.a.a?
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old October 5th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Rick wrote:
"Subjects such as CB, code, etc,"

Some insist CB is an "either-or" relationship with code. The FCC has
assigned space for both. Amateur radio operators have imagined their
own problems.

The "Morse code forever" characters are nearly all retirees hanging on
to an obsolete mode now replaced by other digital modes and analog
communications. The U.S. military abandoned Morse long ago. It hangs on
in the imagination of some unreconstructed "coots".

I`d like my grandchildren to have fun with radio and not bother with
Morse. "You don`t make people learn how to ride a horse before they
drive a car".

Barbarians are riffraff whether coded or not. They have no reason to
leave the internet.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old October 5th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

What's to keep the same low-lifes from replying, "I agree
too, Dude", and re-directing it back to r.r.a.a?

Because they are clueless to how Usenet works. The message they are
replying to is NOT in r.r.a.a, it is now in some other newsgroup, and
there are let's say, 50 of them, so many that it is an annoyance to
even read through them. So when they finally have had enough after
reading 10 of the 50, they decide to reply, their stupid reply will
only go to the newsgroups that are in the message they are replying to
(which does NOT contain r.r.a.a). Ok? Got it?

Rick

Old October 5th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 11:17:46 -0500, (Richard
Harrison) wrote:

Rick wrote:
"Subjects such as CB, code, etc,"

Some insist CB is an "either-or" relationship with code.

Richard - cut it out. Did you miss the entire point of my posting?

Rick K2XT
Old October 5th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 15:24:59 GMT, (Rick) wrote:

[...]

Is the cluttering other newsgroup(s) with dozens of spurious replies a
solution? Or just adding to the problem?

bob
k5qwg

Old October 5th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
Rick wrote:
Now, when someone in another newsgroup sees the offending thread, they
will begin reading it, and see dozens of useless messages (all those
"I agree, Dude" messages). Remember, these replies are not showing up
in the antenna newsgroup.

What's to keep the same low-lifes from replying, "I agree
too, Dude", and re-directing it back to r.r.a.a?

I agree Dude!

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old October 5th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Rick wrote:
What's to keep the same low-lifes from replying, "I agree
too, Dude", and re-directing it back to r.r.a.a?

Because they are clueless to how Usenet works. The message they are
replying to is NOT in r.r.a.a, it is now in some other newsgroup, and
there are let's say, 50 of them, so many that it is an annoyance to
even read through them. So when they finally have had enough after
reading 10 of the 50, they decide to reply, their stupid reply will
only go to the newsgroups that are in the message they are replying to
(which does NOT contain r.r.a.a). Ok? Got it?

Indeed, the major offender - the one who has extreme spelling
challenges, knows exactly what he is doing. He keeps multiple addresses
to avoid posting limits, and if you reply to his messages in a manner in
which he disagrees with, you'll get replies from all of 'em.

The wonderful people involved in this are branching out from their
usual newsgroups because they aren't getting the attention they crave
there. Most of the old regulars are gone from rrap, and if there isn't
anyone to fight with, it ain' no fun, man!

If you do use your tactic, which does have some attraction to it, you
might want an anonymizer.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old October 5th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bob Miller wrote:

Is the cluttering other newsgroup(s) with dozens of spurious replies a
solution? Or just adding to the problem?

What might be a solution? These folk know their way around filters.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Inverted ground plane antenna: compared with normal GP and low dipole. Serge Stroobandt, ON4BAA Antenna 8 February 24th 11 11:22 PM
Loop Antennas / minijack works-clips don't / impedence?? [email protected] Shortwave 14 August 23rd 06 04:07 AM
Part # 2 - The Simplest Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas That I Know Of . . . RHF Shortwave 0 June 2nd 06 10:57 AM
Passive Repeater Bryan Martin Antenna 13 February 10th 06 03:03 PM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 04:01 PM