Old October 23rd 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 10 meter mobile antenna

I just bought a 10 meter mobile rig (25 watt old radio shack rig).

I was planing on cutting down a 102" CB whip to 10 meter band.

Anyone know of any type of antenna that would work better?

Thanks
Joe
KI4ILB

Old October 23rd 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Merlin-7 KI4ILB wrote:
I just bought a 10 meter mobile rig (25 watt old radio shack rig).

I was planing on cutting down a 102" CB whip to 10 meter band.

Anyone know of any type of antenna that would work better?

I used a 10M Hamstick on my Ranger pickup with good results.

Mark AA7TA

Old October 23rd 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Dave" wrote in message
Have you heard of a 10 meter mobile antenna??

Hamstix, Hustler, et al make them. Lot easier than trying to cut steel.

Yeah, that should take all of a couple of minutes.
W4OP

Old October 23rd 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Anyone know of any type of antenna that would work better?

As long as you only cut it as much as needed to move it up into the
ten meter band it will still be a full length quarter wave antenna.
No, there is almost nothing you could get that is better..... provided
you mount it in the center of your roof.
Now, the interesting question becomes, "If you don't mount it in the
most optimum location, how much is it degraded, and would a loaded
antenna mounted in the center of your roof be any better?"

Realistically speaking, a center loaded (approximately 60 inch long)
antenna mounted on the trunk or roof is a very good compromise.

K2XT

Old October 23rd 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

All those commercial antennas will work better at thinning your wallet.
But not at getting your signal out. The only way you'd improve over the
signal from a cut-down CB whip (2 minutes work with a hacksaw) is to
either make the antenna directional in azimuth which would decrease the
signal in other directions, or try making a collinear array. And I
seriously doubt that you could get any noticeable gain from a collinear
without making it too tall to be practical.

I'm glad that some hams are still willing to reach for the hacksaw
instead of the wallet. Go for it!

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old October 23rd 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dale Parfitt wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Have you heard of a 10 meter mobile antenna??

Hamstix, Hustler, et al make them. Lot easier than trying to cut steel.

Yeah, that should take all of a couple of minutes.
W4OP

I could probably torch that bugger off in about 15 seconds.. :/
Might look kinda funky on the tip though. I agree. What is
has is about as good as he's going to get. As long as it's
grounded to the car well, preferably on the body somewhere,
it's going to work great. Any other whip is probably going to
be inferior as far as a 1/4 design. But it is possible for a roof
mounted half size whip to equal a full 1/4 wave with a lower
or poor ground. I'd use a bumper mount as a last resort.
A side body mount with a ball mount, or even trunk mount
would work a lot better. That whip on a roof would brown the
food. Not very practical though as far as trees and drive thru's.
A trunk mount is possible though. Heck, my mobile antenna
is way tall. But I don't really care about looks much.. I recently
bought a third small car to save gas when I don't need to drive
the trucks. I put it's antenna mount on the trunk lid with reinforced
plating underneath to keep from ripping the trunk lid apart.
Hondas have thin sheet metal... :/ My 11 foot antenna would flex
that thing like crazy with no plating underneath. Wouldn't last
3 hours before I ripped a hole in the trunk. I had to do the same
with a monte carlo I once drove.
MK

Old October 23rd 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Thanks everyone

It will be mounted to the side rail of my Dodge 1500 4 door along with the
6 foot coliner for 2m and the 11 meter whip.
Yes it has a CB in it. I need the CB for talking to truckers when I go into
hurricane hit areas a day or two after the hurricane. Finding out what roads
are open, last place to get fuel etc...

Now all I need to figure out is how to keep the 10 meter and 11 meter
antennas from interacting too bad or place them in such a way that the
interaction does something that is usefull...

Joe

Old October 24th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Merlin-7 KI4ILB wrote:
Now all I need to figure out is how to keep the 10 meter and 11 meter
antennas from interacting too bad or place them in such a way that the
interaction does something that is usefull...

Here's an idea. Use the 11 meter antenna for 10 meter
operation by switching in a series capacitor. All you
need to do is to neutralize the small amount of inductive
reactance on 10m caused by the antenna being a tad too
long. The capacitor could be switched in and out by a relay.
I get a value of ~330 pf to perform that function. The
SWR on 10m will actually be better than it is on 11m.

Or you could use the capacitor with the second 102 inch
vertical without having to cut it.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old October 26th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Cecil
Moore writes
Merlin-7 KI4ILB wrote:
Now all I need to figure out is how to keep the 10 meter and 11 meter
antennas from interacting too bad or place them in such a way that the
interaction does something that is usefull...

Here's an idea. Use the 11 meter antenna for 10 meter
operation by switching in a series capacitor. All you
need to do is to neutralize the small amount of inductive
reactance on 10m caused by the antenna being a tad too
long. The capacitor could be switched in and out by a relay.
I get a value of ~330 pf to perform that function. The
SWR on 10m will actually be better than it is on 11m.

Or you could use the capacitor with the second 102 inch
vertical without having to cut it.

I did exactly this (20 years ago). I used a variable compression trimmer
capacitor to check that I could actually get a low SWR, measured it, and
fitted the nearest value disc ceramic (rated at 500VDC). I think it was
330pF. No problems with 40W.
Ian.