Old January 20th 04, 11:55 PM
JGBOYLES

SWR and common modes currents are unrelated. You can have a perfect
match, and still have excess current on the coax shield.

Hi Mark, I agree, but those common mode currents can make your swr meter read
strange things.
If one has excess common mode current, the placement of ones swr meter along
the antenna system will effect what it reads. ok ok TLI meter.:-)
73 Gary N4AST
Old January 26th 04, 04:41 PM
Richard Harrison

Dr. Slick wrote:
"Can I get away without using the tnductive loops?"

A similar "Super-J" is shown in the 19th edition of the "ARRL Antenna
Book" on page 16-25. I see no mention of decoupling the outside of the
coax.

Exterior coiling and exterior coupling of the coax should hardly affect
the interior of the coax.

W2DU ferrite cores could be used for the same purpose as coils in the
coax as could other decouplers such as sleeves, etc.

Melted foam inside the coax might indicate a near short nearby.

Load on the coax should be a resistance of Zo value and if so, there
should be no high-current hot spot.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI