Old November 28th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default antenna

Mr. Clark, me thinks you best get back on your medications om !!!!

--James--

Old November 28th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael Coslo wrote:
Richard Clark wrote:

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:52:20 -0500, jawod wrote:

Based upon your microscopic linguistic analysis,

It is a reciprocal (analysis/expression) characteristic inherent to
successful engineering; others use tea leaves (couched in trade argot)
to present results of dubious quality.

I imagine you use a Microsoft product (at least conversing with you
is similar to using one).

Hi John,

You obviously have never read an Intel hardware manual (circa MDS-80).

BTW (seriously), will the new Mac products work with EZNEC?

This is something YOU should investigate. Mac now uses that
one-and-the-same Intel engine. It is suggested in the press that it
runs both operating systems. It costs more to do the same thing, but
you get that cool logo.

For everyone's notes: EZnec runs quite nicely on an Intel based iMac.

I prefer OpenSource servers, applications,
and Linux. I haven't bought a M$ product in this millennium having
experienced the Windows Me platform (Chairman Bill's fin du cercle
joke on us all).

I work both Microsoft, OSX, and am learning Linux.

Not that it was asked for, but my experience has been that MS OS is
great if you have paid support staff to make it run, Linux is nice, but
every once in a while, it kicks us back to 1985, (sorry - unforgivable
in 2006) and when I absolutely have to get it done with a minimum of..
what is the technical term? Oh yeah - with a minimum of peckering
around, I'll use OSX any day.

And my G5 Mac is cool to look at too - inside and out.

As I pointed out earlier, your question is answered in 10 minutes to
all variations that I offered. That analysis even gives degrees of
"better" as expressed in KHz and dB (quantifiable engineering terms
commonly used in serious antenna discussion).

Of course one can get the answer from a modeling program. Of course,
the modeling program won't tell *why*.

Here is a video of me trying to get a modeling program to tell me why my
antenna design worked like it said...

http://www.break.com/index/patiencechild.html

As a spoiler, I will

offer that the diagonal placement seriously disrupts both resonance
AND gain to the tune of 100s of KHz and 3-4 dB. Of course, the
qualifier "seriously" was meaningful only to me; that is, until I
quantified it.

Now that's better!

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Mike,
That is about the funniest video I've seen in some time! In German, no
less!

Thanks

John
AB8O
Old November 29th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael Coslo wrote:

I work both Microsoft, OSX, and am learning Linux.

Not that it was asked for, but my experience has been that MS OS is
great if you have paid support staff to make it run, Linux is nice, but
every once in a while, it kicks us back to 1985, (sorry - unforgivable
in 2006) and when I absolutely have to get it done with a minimum of..

How so? Interested in your perspective on the 1985ish Linux issues.

And I have found that it takes less paid staff to support a number of
linux servers than the same number of 2K or 2K3 servers. Clicking is
much tougher to automate than simply writing scripts and adding them to
crontab.

tom
K0TAR
Old November 29th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

jawod wrote in :

Michael Coslo wrote:

Some snippage

Of course one can get the answer from a modeling program. Of
course,
the modeling program won't tell *why*.

Here is a video of me trying to get a modeling program to tell me why
my antenna design worked like it said...

http://www.break.com/index/patiencechild.html

As a spoiler, I will

offer that the diagonal placement seriously disrupts both resonance
AND gain to the tune of 100s of KHz and 3-4 dB. Of course, the
qualifier "seriously" was meaningful only to me; that is, until I
quantified it.

Now that's better!

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Mike,
That is about the funniest video I've seen in some time! In German,
no less!

I know quite a few people who cannot make it through the thing!

Thanks

Hey! BTW, once you get used to Richard's prose, he's enjoyable to
read, and there is truth in his ministrations.

73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old November 29th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Mike:

You may be quite right, Richard may not be all bad (I imagine a cadence
to his words--much like a drill instructors voice too!)

But anyone which likes Shakespeare? Ewwwwwww!

JS

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
6...
jawod wrote in :

Some snippage

Old November 29th 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Tom Ring wrote in
:

Michael Coslo wrote:

I work both Microsoft, OSX, and am learning Linux.

Not that it was asked for, but my experience has been that MS OS
is
great if you have paid support staff to make it run, Linux is nice,
but every once in a while, it kicks us back to 1985, (sorry -
unforgivable in 2006) and when I absolutely have to get it done with
a minimum of..

How so? Interested in your perspective on the 1985ish Linux issues.

My perspective is that of an OS that occasionally makes me work as if it
was 1985. More on that below.

And I have found that it takes less paid staff to support a number of
linux servers than the same number of 2K or 2K3 servers. Clicking is
much tougher to automate than simply writing scripts and adding them
to crontab.

Ahh, the perspective issue! Agreed that getting to the command line
is a more efficient method, even on an Xserve. But I have to deal
with situations where I have to get a piece of hardware, anstall and
use it and any software needed, and meet a deadline.A real short
one. With the PC, we usually find that we have hardware limitations
(always cured by spending a few K), with Linux, we can spend a lot
of time looking for drivers, installing a program is always
exciting, and usually the deadline has come and gone in either case.

I use the Mac because I work with a computer, not get a computer to
work. I'll gladly concede that the other platforms/OS's are much
superior - certainly they must be, because they require a support
staff that knows many interesting and arcane things, and I just plug
away, meeting deadlines.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old November 29th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John Smith" wrote in news:ekj6ar$nfb$1
@news.ndhu.edu.tw:

Mike:

You may be quite right, Richard may not be all bad (I imagine a cadence
to his words--much like a drill instructors voice too!)

But anyone which likes Shakespeare? Ewwwwwww!

"Pause awhile, And let my counsel sway you in this case."

(whispering.... I think he might be an English Major)

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old November 29th 06, 06:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Mike:

There was a time when linux expected all hardware to know its job and
have the internal software (firmware instructions actually) to do its
job and leave the OS free to use its processor cycles much more
efficiently. Linux ran like a race car back then, and the command line
as opposed to the processor cycle glutton of the GUI aided this
tremendously (or, I don't need all those cutsie windows, icons, themes
and sounds!)

Windows tries to encompass and contain all the software necessary to do
all things (mostly as dll's, ocx code, etc.) No better example of this
exists, which I can think of, than the "software modem" as opposed to
the hardware modem. The OS must handle all data
compaction/encryption/de-encryption/de-compaction/"error
checking"/sending/receiving/etc. and slows other processes down to
accomplish this (or, why is my word processor dragging when the modem is
on?), for the software modem. The hardware modem just does it all and
hands data to the OS, or takes data from it for processing and sending.
The 56K USRobotics Courier External modem was the prime example of such
a hardware modem and contained its own processor and it was identical (I
think) to the processor used in the first IBM computers (second
generation actually, first generation used the 8086;s)--intel 80186's?
This was one powerful modem! It's speed unmatched by any of the day...

Now, both linux and windows are growing towards a common ground where
both OS's will contain all this software and become bogged down handling
all the processes for all the hardware--not good in my opinion. But, it
gives us cheap computers (the hardware is just basically ports and
mechanics.)

Put simply, a hardware techs' job is to speed up computers operations by
magnitudes. A software tech's job is to slow down the computers
operation by magnitudes. You see this before your eyes, each year
computer hardware is 10x faster, each year the OS is 10x slower, which
results in very little if any net gain in "actual user speed", best seen
when waiting for the OS to boot up!

My next favorite gripe is the retail takeover of the internet. I don't
come here to buy things. Why not create a .ret (dot ret) in addition to
..com, .net, .org? Then banish all sales to .ret addresses so my google
searches don't return tons of useless chinese junk for purchase. If I
ever want to buy online I will know to search for .ret sites! Oh well.

JS

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
6...
Tom Ring wrote in
:

Old November 29th 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

This is not a forum for operating systems... Let us get back on
topic, folks...

denny

John Smith wrote:
[...]

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
6...
Tom Ring wrote in
:

Old November 29th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Mike Coslo wrote:

Ahh, the perspective issue! Agreed that getting to the command line
is a more efficient method, even on an Xserve. But I have to deal
with situations where I have to get a piece of hardware, anstall and
use it and any software needed, and meet a deadline.A real short
one. With the PC, we usually find that we have hardware limitations
(always cured by spending a few K), with Linux, we can spend a lot
of time looking for drivers, installing a program is always
exciting, and usually the deadline has come and gone in either case.

I use the Mac because I work with a computer, not get a computer to
work. I'll gladly concede that the other platforms/OS's are much
superior - certainly they must be, because they require a support
staff that knows many interesting and arcane things, and I just plug
away, meeting deadlines.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Well, I guess I'm lucky in that respect, I just need to keep the email,
web, DNS, etc. running. The hardware involved is never an issue, since
the ethernet card is about all the OS has to find drivers for, and
installations of current RHEL and its derivatives are a snap to perform.
RAID is the most important "odd" hardware in my world, and it is
thankfully transparent to the OS in most cases.

tom
K0TAR

Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? Bob Miller Shortwave 40 September 3rd 12 02:15 PM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
Passive Repeater Bryan Martin Antenna 13 February 10th 06 02:03 PM
The Long and Thin Vertical Loop Antenna. [ The Non-Resonance Vertical with a Difference ] RHF Shortwave 0 December 27th 05 06:03 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM