Old December 14th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

Default A request for guidance from academics

I recently gave a write up on Gaussian arrays
As a sample which was not directed for any
desirable I laid out the following

All of the elements were placed above each other purely
to make things easier to do plus it being an unusual
arrangement probably never seen before.

Coordinates ( perfect ground) Inches
X Y Z

0 209.46 927.1
0 198.25 973.97
0 172.78 822.86
0 219.83 964.4
0 185.53 922.4

With 1" dia elements
my results were
Impedance 48.5 + j 0.1
Horiz gain 8.12 dbi @ 12 deg
Rc gain 5.11 dbic

Since I am not sure of the capabilities of EZNEC
or other programs
I also supply the following

All elements driven impedances are
6.58 + j56.9
-5.28 - j 37.6
-5.00 -125
9.35 + 58.5
-16.2 - j205

Now I need the help from anybody with a engineering degree
which wipes out Richard since his only intent is to ridicule,
or deceive anyway, to confirm the following

For a Gaussian field the energy radiated
by the array as a whole ( feed element 1 )
must equal the sum of the energy
supplied from each individual element.

Questions.
1. Am I correct in saying this?
2. Does the above array rank in any way
as a Gaussian array.?

Frankly, one or more of you is an academic so I really am
pointing at you for direction so I can be sure that my
program has not somehow become corrupted
I am sharing this with you so can you share
your input with me? If you prefer to communicate
by E mail with me that is fine since we know that
the lips of some will spew
Art

Old December 14th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"art" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

as i pointed out before, and this verifies, you have found one of the
limitations of finite element methods for modeling antennas. very close
spacings between long elements causes un-realizable results. the extremely
low real components of the impedance and high reactive values are symptoms
of this.

Now I need the help from anybody with a engineering degree
which wipes out Richard since his only intent is to ridicule,
or deceive anyway, to confirm the following

For a Gaussian field the energy radiated
by the array as a whole ( feed element 1 )
must equal the sum of the energy
supplied from each individual element.

this is true for any array.

Questions.
1. Am I correct in saying this?
2. Does the above array rank in any way
as a Gaussian array.?

define 'gaussian array' as it applies to antennas that you are describing.

that type of array is not defined in my copies of Jackson's or
Ramo-Whinner-VanDuzer's books, nor does my IEEE antenna design handbook
mention that term. there are references to 'gaussian beams' with respect to
the shape of the fields from feed horns for microwave dishes and other
quasi-optical systems. Some searching of the web also seems to refer to
gaussian arrays, but those all seem to be related to current or power
distribution on elements of an adaptive array.

Old December 14th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

Dave wrote:
"art" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

David this is just conjecture on your part. I respect your knoweledge
but I am looking for academic proof. Your comments may well be valid in
general terms but I have given
a specific case plus some of my findings. Prove to me the error of my
ways please

Now I need the help from anybody with a engineering degree
which wipes out Richard since his only intent is to ridicule,
or deceive anyway, to confirm the following

For a Gaussian field the energy radiated
by the array as a whole ( feed element 1 )
must equal the sum of the energy
supplied from each individual element.

this is true for any array. O.K. and I gave you all the impedances that you would need to prove or disprove what I have said. I would be interested in what a academic would say

regarding a proof measure based on the figures I've given which I
believe is all that is needed

Questions.
1. Am I correct in saying this?
2. Does the above array rank in any way
as a Gaussian array.?

define 'gaussian array' as it applies to antennas that you are describing.

that type of array is not defined in my copies of Jackson's or
Ramo-Whinner-VanDuzer's books, nor does my IEEE antenna design handbook
mention that term. there are references to 'gaussian beams' with respect to
the shape of the fields from feed horns for microwave dishes and other
quasi-optical systems. Some searching of the web also seems to refer to
gaussian arrays, but those all seem to be related to current or power
distribution on elements of an adaptive array.

Yes, these deal with other works of Gauss as he was primarily a
mathematicial and his work is all the vogue now in the communications
world with respect to channels.

No you will not find it in books possibly because of the popularity of
the Yagi were all
that is known about antennas was known. I am absolutely positive that
in time this will be picked up and put in the books because I am making
it known and I gave several paragraphs
that showed the trail of deductions using the word of the masters and
nobody found fault that they could justify academically. Richard is
known to lead people astray and he is doing it again. He, Richard has
no engineering degree, he may have one on geography since he was in the
navy and if you know what hemesphere the Panama canal is, and you get
two shots at it you can get a degree in the mail. When I gave you the
impedances it is the root
of determining the energy supplied by a radiating element where Z1 Z2
etc is all you need
Again I agree that this is not stated in the books but surely you don't
believe all is in the books at the present time ? Electricity is not
immune to new discovery.
I welcome your comments but really I am looking for academic proof
where Richard has muddled things up so much I am beginning to question
myself even tho no facts only words have been offered
Best regards
Art

Old December 14th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"art" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dave wrote:
"art" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

unfortunately it is not possible to prove a negative. and you have not
proved your case. I have pointed out the well known failure of finite
element modeling that most of us with engineering degrees do understand and
avoid. you have simply been misled by software that you don't understand
completely. And no, I don't think everything is in books already, but I
don't believe that someone playing around with software they don't
understand is going to discover a new principle that hasn't been studied
elsewhere. So, again I ask, please define 'Gaussian array', give web
references that explain it if you can't, surely something that is on the
cutting edge of technology will have many web sites trying to promote it, or
sell antennas based on this design.

Old December 15th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

David listen to me. Please. Gaussian law with respect to electrostatics
is very well known
And you surely are aware that electrostatics is a subset of
electromagnetics.
Now you, because of your education and professional experience know
that the energy radiated can be calculated tho it is laborious to do. I
have given you a Gaussian version where only V=IZ needs to be known
where as other means require coupling factors plus other things.
Gausses law is very simple, the energy provided by the addition of curl
to the contained static electrical particles is equal to the radiation
outside the arbitary border when you add " in a space of time" or
something similar to Gausses law.
Yes it is not in the books because it is new, thats right, new in my
eyes because it provides an array without the addition of elements that
are detuned as with the Yagi. With the Gaussian array you do not have
to make compromises with respect to desirables as shown in Chaptor 2 in
the Antenna handbook. The Gaussian array provides sync between all the
curves over a bandwidth. Over time I have written this patent
application many times because of derision from amateures. But, now I
am appealing to the academics or qualified
engineers. (I once was an engineer but time has messed the mind in some
areas}to help me out so I can finalise things but above all I want
academic facts and not drivel that I get from those who follow Richard.
Is there any other academics out there that can help me out as well as
clarifying what I say for better understanding. Anybody to join David ?
Regards
Art

Dave wrote:
"art" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dave wrote:
ups.com...

Old December 15th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

electrostatics is a small subset of electromagnetics, and with good cause.
its application is limited to static electric fields only. no current, no
radiation, just static electric fields. so don't try to sell an antenna
based on electrostatics or you will be lumped in with the e/h guys.

coupling between elements of an antenna is a given, you can't have a
conductor in an electromagnetic field without it coupling somehow to the
field and re-radiating. to try to convince anyone otherwise is to ignore
100+ years of electromagnetic research.

also, if you are basing this on new principles you can't expect eznec or ao
or any of the existing finite element programs to do anything reasonable for
it, they will all fall apart like the example you posted and give
unobtainable models because they use classical electromagnetics to do all
their calculations.

as far as patents... i don't trust them any further than i can throw them,
you can patent anything unless it says 'free energy' or 'perpetual motion'
in it. heck there are even patents for faster than light antennas. if you
can't explain the principles well enough to pass a peer review for something
like the ieee a&p proceedings the science isn't right.

"art" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Dave wrote:
"art" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dave wrote:
ups.com...

Old December 15th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 14 Dec 2006 16:15:22 -0800, "art" wrote:

But, now I
am appealing to the academics or qualified
engineers. (I once was an engineer but time has messed the mind in some
areas}to help me out so I can finalise things but above all I want
academic facts and not drivel that I get from those who follow Richard.

Hi Art,

You've repeated my name more times than Gauss.
That sure gives it a lift. ;-)

Is there any other academics out there that can help me out as well as
clarifying what I say for better understanding.

The clarification I offered was:
Throw away 4 of the 5 wires and you improve
both the gain and the match.

If you dismiss this as drivel (a perverse contempt in this forum
dedicated to gain and matching) then there is no clarification to be
gained.

As Dave pointed out, submit to a judged journal and show us the
citation when it publishes.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old December 15th 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Do you guys know how to edit a message when you are replying to it so
a reader doesn't have to wade through 3 screens of previously posted
material
to find the section you added?
It really isn't rocket science.

Old December 15th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

Dave wrote:
"art" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

David,
since you referenced the above book may I bring to your attention
to Potentials used with varying charges and currents with the sub
heading
A "possible" my quotes set of potentials for time -varying field
paying attention to the significance of "possible" Deeper in the
chaptor he refers to static fields.
I know his use of the word 'possible' does not endorse anything but he
didn't rule it out

In addition page 70 refers in depth with respect to Gauss's law where
he supplies a drawing of a partial surface of a volume ( arbitary
surrounding surface is the statement ) where the charge is a projection
on the surface without reference to what it is projected from. In my
case it is a projection from a cluster of elements) definitions and
concepts, without any furtherexperimental information
He also goes on to state Gauss law in his own words and then goes on to
say
It has been derived from Coulombs force by the introduction of new
definitions and concepts I am just adding to the concept by adding a
third dimension which when looking at the drawing given reflects the
original Gaussian thinking tho current thinking uses a two dimension
section in describing electrostatics.I suppose a good proof would be to
compare Pointings vector formulae with what I have put forward but
perhaps that is too presumtious of me.
All in all the array represents a band pass filter where effort is made
for constant gain across a band of frequencies which is a different
requirement from the Yagi where amateurs
are only interested in gain without due referance to constancy across
the frequency span
or with regard to the corresponding beam width
Any way the above should provide some food for thought
Bed time calls

Best regards
Art Unwin

Old December 15th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 14 Dec 2006 21:04:08 -0800, "art" wrote:

All in all the array represents a band pass filter where effort is made
for constant gain across a band of frequencies

Hi Art,

D.E. Isbell did this 46 years ago.

which is a different
requirement from the Yagi

It has been used for TV antennas for lo those same 46 years and to any
casual view looks like a Yagi.

where amateurs
are only interested in gain without due referance to constancy across
the frequency span
or with regard to the corresponding beam width

Isbell got that too. It was, afterall, everyone's goal and he got:
1. More gain;
2. Better match;
3. More bandwidth;
than 5 un-optimized wires hanging in the air.

Isbell understood Gaus, Maxwell, McGuffey, and the rest and never
appealed to bundles to explain his design (which really bore no more
relation to his antenna than explaining why a car works in terms of
how zippo lighters create a flame).

D.E. Isbell's antenna is included free as an example with every copy
of EZNEC. It contains 5 wires and exhibits:
1. 10% BW
2. 10 dBi gain
3. a serviceable match

Isbell wrote the design up, submitted it to his peers, a jury passed
on his work, it was published, it was patented (3210767) and it has
stood the test of time.

Isbell also explained how to achieve different:
1. Gains;
2. Matches;
3. Bandwidths;
in terms that others could actually build working models.

In regard to this last, I am sure amateur publications offer simple
formula to achieve these goals too.

However, if all one has to read is a book about fields, Isbell's
invention may come as a surprise. Ramo and the boys don't really talk
all that much about "antennas," so citing them as authorities on the
subject makes as much sense as crediting Jane Goodall for the Theory
of Evolution.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC