Old January 29th 04, 03:58 AM
Bob

Cecil Moore wrote:
Bob wrote:

So I suppose the original question remains unanswered:
Where did you read/hear crime is Canada is skyrocketing?

For the nth time, I read it in the latest "First Freedom"
magazine. Please stop asking questions that I have already
answered multiple times and let's get back to antennas.

I see, that's published by the NRA. Now I'm not suggesting that
everything published by the NRA is heavily biased, but it's reasonable
to suggest there IS bias in their editorial agenda.

(now before you get all up in arms (hey, is that a pun?) defending the
NRA, most special interest group publications are heavily biased to
promote their opinions and values, or lack of them, depending on the origin)

So a few years ago, I read in a 'grocery-checkout-line-tabloid' about
some lady in Maine who gave birth to a harp seal pup, but it's fair to
say that report is not likely accurate. So, as you seem to be well
informed in technical matters - clearly from reading various material
from numerous sources - perhaps it would be prudent to research your
geopolitical demographic information before promoting an opinion based
solely on the line given from one source. To present it as your own
opinion or to side with one source before verifying and validating their
information is to blindly trust your personal credibility with an
outside party; this is akin to letting them speak for you - even though
you didn't verify their statements.

As a bright fellow, you owe it to yourself to validate such statements
before placing your name and reputation on them.

Check with the Fraser Institute, Statistics Canada, or the any of the
dozens of Universities (including American ones) that keep such
statistics about Canada. On average, things are generally pretty quiet
up here.

Still a law abiding guy,
Bob

Old January 29th 04, 04:12 AM
Bob

Cecil Moore wrote:

Bob wrote:

Where did you read/hear crime is Canada is skyrocketing?

Canadians Resisting Tough New Gun Law
By Colin Nickerson, The Boston Globe,
Published Wednesday, January 10, 2001, in the Miami Herald

"But even the (Canadian) federal government concedes that a minimum
of 400,000 of the country's estimated 2.2 million gun owners have
refused to comply -- a shocking figure in a society where respect
for the law is second nature. And the real tally of noncompliers
may be much higher: Gun groups count six million privately owned
rifles and shotguns in Canada, meaning that millions of citizens
may be defying the law."

If millions of citizens choosing to become criminals is not
a skyrocketing crime rate, I don't know what is.

Cecil,

That's a civil protest, the people 'protesting' in this fashion are
already registered FAC (Firearm Acquisition Certificate) holders. What
they are doing is protesting the BILLION+ dollar fiasco that was
originally put forth as something that would cost taxpayers $2 million.
The fellows protesting are openly identifying themselves, not hiding
from the law. Furthermore, the federal government has already backed
down on enforcing it and the opposition party (that would be the
Conservative party, not the Liberal party - they are the current
Majority; but I'm sure you already knew that) is attempting to have it
scrapped entirely - something the Canadian Association of Chiefs of
Police also want scrapped. (rumour has it the bad guys have neither an
FAC nor a specific permit per firearm.) That's what this foolishness is
all about - registering EACH SPECIFIC firearm separately.

As an NRA guy, I don't think your would refer to these fellows as criminals.

Bob

Old January 29th 04, 04:16 AM
Bob

Cecil Moore wrote:

CW wrote:

They are breaking the law, yes but I see a bit of distinction here
between
these people and common criminals. The criminal actively commits an
illegal
act. These people retaining their firearms did not commit any act.
They were
declared criminals without any action of their own.

There are crimes of commission and crimes of omission. If a law requires
action
of law-abiding citizens, then inaction is a crime. The Canadian gun laws
caused
the crime rate in Canada to skyrocket.

So if your government ordered ALL firearms surrendered to the local
authority, would you label those who peacefully choose not to comply as
criminals, or libertarians trying to retain freedom for their country's
free citizens? What would "First Freedom" write about them?

Old January 29th 04, 04:26 AM
Cecil Moore

Bob wrote:
Check with the Fraser Institute, Statistics Canada, or the any of the
dozens of Universities (including American ones) that keep such
statistics about Canada. On average, things are generally pretty quiet
up here.

Do you deny that you have hundreds of thousands of new criminals
who are violating the Canadian gun registration laws? Don't you
think those hundreds of thousands of crimes add to the Canadian
crime rate?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 29th 04, 04:31 AM
Yuri Blanarovich

Tdonaly wrote:
Cecil reads all the inflammatory, right wing, gun magazines and
believes them.

Sure closer to reality and truth than Commie leftie enviro nazis "media"
propaganda. Been there, lived it, escaped from it just to find it to flourish
here at universities and networks.

Just look at the nine lying "presidential hopefull" skunks.
Back to the coils.

BUm

Old January 29th 04, 04:34 AM
Bob

Cecil Moore wrote:

Bob wrote:

Check with the Fraser Institute, Statistics Canada, or the any of the
dozens of Universities (including American ones) that keep such
statistics about Canada. On average, things are generally pretty quiet
up here.

Do you deny that you have hundreds of thousands of new criminals
who are violating the Canadian gun registration laws? Don't you
think those hundreds of thousands of crimes add to the Canadian
crime rate?

What's the date on your magazine? The 'deadline to comply' was midnight,
Dec31/03. So if your article was composed prior to that date, they were
not yet in non-compliance of anything and therefore could not possibly
be the source of this alleged 'soaring crime rate.'

Sorry sir, you're getting pretty far out on that limb - your argument is
just about bent to the ground.

Old January 29th 04, 05:40 AM
Cecil Moore

Bob wrote:
That's what this foolishness is
all about - registering EACH SPECIFIC firearm separately.
As an NRA guy, I don't think your would refer to these fellows as
criminals.

They are breaking Canadian federal law. That makes them criminals,
by definition, does it not?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 29th 04, 05:41 AM
Cecil Moore

Bob wrote:
So if your government ordered ALL firearms surrendered to the local
authority, would you label those who peacefully choose not to comply as
criminals, or libertarians trying to retain freedom for their country's
free citizens?

Yes!
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 29th 04, 05:48 AM
Cecil Moore

Bob wrote:
What's the date on your magazine?

Feb, 2004

The 'deadline to comply' was midnight, Dec31/03.

Yep, about a month ago. It is estimated that approximately
one million Canadians didn't comply with that federal law.
That's quite a skyrocketing crime rate - one million new
criminals as of Jan. 1, 2004. The rate of increase in
violations of "other federal laws" was already around +7%.

So if your article was composed prior to that date, ...

It predicted mass violation of Canadian federal law which
is apparently exactly what happened.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 29th 04, 06:05 AM
CW

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
CW wrote:

They are breaking the law, yes but I see a bit of distinction here
between
these people and common criminals. The criminal actively commits an
illegal
act. These people retaining their firearms did not commit any act.
They were
declared criminals without any action of their own.

So if your government ordered ALL firearms surrendered to the local
authority, would you label those who peacefully choose not to comply as
criminals, or libertarians trying to retain freedom for their country's
free citizens?

I wouldn't call them criminals at all. I see government as a necessary evil.
There are times when they (the government) needs to be told to back off.

HAM EQUIPMENT DONATIONS NEEDED N2ION Antenna 0 January 7th 04 04:53 PM
DONATIONS NEEDED N2ION Antenna 0 December 25th 03 10:43 PM
AMATEUR RADIO GEAR WANTED N2ION Antenna 1 December 11th 03 10:43 PM
AMATEUR RADIO EQUIPMENT WANTED N2ION Antenna 2 December 6th 03 08:07 AM
Amateur Radio Legal Issues List Amateur Radio Station N0JAA Antenna 0 July 19th 03 04:30 AM