Old January 8th 07, 10:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
ml ml is offline

Default cloth?: dipole coiley?

In article ,
Cecil Moore wrote:

John Smith I wrote:
Problems I ran into was soldering it together, soldering aluminum takes
quite a bit more skill than copper!!!

For some reason, the standard galvanized-dipped
stuff is easy to solder.

good idea technically speaking but i don't think i'll be able to hide
anyof this stuff in his apartment

if i go verticle i'd hope maybe to hide 2 counterpoise"" like wires
around the far walls but certainly not mesh

the only way i could think of using mesh is around the railing of the
terrace hanging it verticle and putting the verticle antenna part
ontop(higher)
the railing is concreate
Old January 8th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

good idea technically speaking but i don't think i'll be able to hide
anyof this stuff in his apartment

if i go verticle i'd hope maybe to hide 2 counterpoise"" like wires
around the far walls but certainly not mesh

the only way i could think of using mesh is around the railing of the
terrace hanging it verticle and putting the verticle antenna part
ontop(higher)
the railing is concreate

Indoor/outdoor carpet over the mesh would be OK.

I get a little worried about more than a couple of watts around areas
with people.

The new TenTec rig that is built to remote over a Lan/internet will
add more options soon.
John Ferrell W8CCW
Old January 8th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Ferrell wrote in
:

I get a little worried about more than a couple of watts around areas
with people.

Ah, this must be in the vein of "they have been unable to prove EMR
safe".

There are clear guidelines / rules on maximum permitted exposure to EMR
that should allow design and operation of a station with confidence that
it most unlikely to be an EMR hazard to one's self, family or the general
public. Understanding and applying this is just another facet of the
hobby today, though I concede it is beyond our new 6 hour hams (though
that is part of the reason for their low power limit, should they observe
it).

One of my current projects is a self contained field strength meter for
field measurement near a transmitting antenna. It consists of a small
single turn untuned square loop, terminated in a known load, a detector
and an inexpensive battery power LCD panel meter, all self contained
mounted on a non-conductive stick with no trailing wires. It is fairly
straight forward to produce an Antenna Factor / Freq chart using NEC, and
a detector calibration (Vout/Pin). Trials have been encouraging with good
correlation with expected field strength.

On the other hand, it has been demonstrated that UV radiation is a health
hazard, and there is no "safe" exposure level (ie a threshold below which
no changes will take place in living cells). If one took a balanced
approach, before becoming too concerned about EMR MPE, one would protect
one's self from ANY sunshine, direct or indirect.

If it appears that ham's brains have been addled by RF, they were
probably that way before exposure to EMR, it might just be a factor for
selection of hams. (You don't have to be mad to be a ham, but it helps!)

Owen
Old January 9th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 21:34:51 GMT, Owen Duffy wrote:

John Ferrell wrote in
:

I get a little worried about more than a couple of watts around areas
with people.

On the other hand, it has been demonstrated that UV radiation is a health
hazard, and there is no "safe" exposure level (ie a threshold below which
no changes will take place in living cells). If one took a balanced
approach, before becoming too concerned about EMR MPE, one would protect
one's self from ANY sunshine, direct or indirect.

I am there too. The effects seem to be accumulative to some of us...

If it appears that ham's brains have been addled by RF, they were
probably that way before exposure to EMR, it might just be a factor for
selection of hams. (You don't have to be mad to be a ham, but it helps!)

Owen

I managed to get an RF burn from a 25 watt nav transmitter once and it
hurt! It was slw to heal as well.

My problem is that I really don't know, I have yet to do that
homework.

I have a similar problem of my own in the near future. I have a 24
foot Winniebago RV that is at least skinned with fiber glass. I would
like to try HF mobile Lots of homework ahead...
John Ferrell W8CCW
Old January 9th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John Ferrell" wrote in message
[...]

I gave up trying to talk while driving, it only took one close call for me
to quit. After I set up camp I lay some radials out on the ground and set up
an 18 ft fibergalss whip. Vehicle has antennas for 10/11m and 2m.

Old January 9th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jimmie D wrote:
I gave up trying to talk while driving, ...

While driving, I find it hard to talk on a cellphone
but easy to talk on a ham radio. There's something
about half-duplex, push-to-talk that makes it easier,
maybe that I don't have to talk and listen at the
same time.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old January 9th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Ferrell wrote:
"The effects seem to be accumulative to some of us."

Perhaps. Intensity, proximity, and radiated frequency are important in
my experience.

I worked years in a shortwave broadcasting plant where about a megawatt
was being continuously radiated around the clock. No one of the many
employees ever showed any effect from the exposure.

One the other hand, my ham friend, W5OQJ, was a movie projectionist. He
contracted a chest cold. In an attempt to "bake it out", he exposed his
chest to the the ultra violet from the electric arc of the projector.
Next morning, he was dead.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old January 9th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Richard Harrison" wrote in message
John Ferrell wrote:
"The effects seem to be accumulative to some of us."

Perhaps. Intensity, proximity, and radiated frequency are important in
my experience.

I worked years in a shortwave broadcasting plant where about a megawatt
was being continuously radiated around the clock. No one of the many
employees ever showed any effect from the exposure.

One the other hand, my ham friend, W5OQJ, was a movie projectionist. He
contracted a chest cold. In an attempt to "bake it out", he exposed his
chest to the the ultra violet from the electric arc of the projector.
Next morning, he was dead.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Sounds like a guy I knew that pressed his face against the open end of a
..6MW peak radar trying to fix his sinus problem. He developed cancer there.

Old January 9th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jimmie D wrote:
Sounds like a guy I knew that pressed his face against the open end of a
.6MW peak radar trying to fix his sinus problem. He developed cancer there.

I know someone who drank water, and he got stomach cancer.

The effects of high intensity radar have been studied in great depth for
decades. As far as I know, no evidence has ever been found that they're
able to cause cancer.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old January 9th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Richard Harrison wrote:
John Ferrell wrote:
"The effects seem to be accumulative to some of us."

Perhaps. Intensity, proximity, and radiated frequency are important in
my experience.
. . .

Sure enough, I've got indisputable proof. The longer I'm a ham, the
dimmer my eyesight and hearing, the shakier my hand, the unsteadier my
gait. I can't remember things as well as I used to. And I'm even growing
more hair out of my ears!

Watch out, this stuff is dangerous in the long haul!

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
I Want Another Antenna Lenny Shortwave 4 January 23rd 06 10:12 PM
ABOUT - The "T" & Windom Antenna plus Twin Lead Folded Dipole Antenna RHF Shortwave 0 November 4th 05 06:13 PM
Workman BS-1 Dipole Antenna = Easy Mod to make it a Mini-Windom Antenna ! RHF Shortwave 0 November 2nd 05 11:14 AM
Antenna Suggestions and Lightning Protection § Dr. Artaud § Shortwave 71 April 26th 05 04:14 PM