Old January 15th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default do I have my antenna fundamentals right?

Having gotten some help around here on how to power my 2m mobile
indoors cheaply, I need to figure out a way to get an antenna. There
are probably a million holes in this plan, please point them
all out to me!

I intend to get a piece of square sheet metal (ground plane?) about
half a meter each way, and build a bracket to hold it outside my window
horizontally. In the center of the sheet metal I'll install an NMO
mount for my mobile antenna. I'm actually planning to ground the sheet
metal using the electrical ground in the wall socket (surely
something's wrong with THAT!) I look forward to better alternatives!

Old January 15th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 14 Jan 2007 18:37:35 -0800, "Nelson Blaha"
wrote:

I intend to get a piece of square sheet metal (ground plane?) about
half a meter each way, and build a bracket to hold it outside my window
horizontally. In the center of the sheet metal I'll install an NMO
mount for my mobile antenna.

Hi Nelson,

Sounds like a lot of work when two, three, or four radials would do
just as well. The sheet metal plan is usually reserved for folks who
believe in the magic of magnetic mounts.

I'm actually planning to ground the sheet
metal using the electrical ground in the wall socket (surely
something's wrong with THAT!)

Why bother? Electrical ground, and RF ground, and a Ground plane each
have different requirments. An electrical ground is not always a
suitable RF ground (and much could be said with all the combinations
and permutations of these three terms).

I look forward to better alternatives!

Do less, enjoy more.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old January 15th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

hi Nelson,

yes, it is a lot of work, you could just attach the magmount
to any metal object, patio table, metal railing or window a/c unit, etc.

or for a few dollars and less work build a great 2m antenna
using #12 thhn wire and a few feet of pvc pipe.

this is the half square, works great, it is directional.

http://cebik.com/vhf/hs.html

then you can try this one, the Moxon for 2m, little harder to make
but has similar gain to a 2 element yagi in less space and direct fed
with 50 ohm coax (like the half square is fed).

73 markus
Old January 15th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

here is the other link for the moxon

http://cebik.com/moxon/moxbld.html
Old January 15th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Nelson Blaha" wrote in message
ps.com...
Having gotten some help around here on how to power my 2m mobile
indoors cheaply, I need to figure out a way to get an antenna. There
are probably a million holes in this plan, please point them
all out to me!

I intend to get a piece of square sheet metal (ground plane?) about
half a meter each way, and build a bracket to hold it outside my window
horizontally. In the center of the sheet metal I'll install an NMO
mount for my mobile antenna. I'm actually planning to ground the sheet
metal using the electrical ground in the wall socket (surely
something's wrong with THAT!) I look forward to better alternatives!

Way more metal than you need. I still have a cofee can lid with 4 1/4 lambda
raials soldered to it that I once used on a balcony. If you dnt already have
an antenna get one of those 1/2 lambda antennas that dont require a
groundplane.

Old January 15th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Thanks Jimmie, Markus, Richard for your advice. I'm working without
tools... what I really need is a drill. For the moment I've put my
mobile antenna out my window on a four-foot section of I-bar. It works
pretty well for receiving, but I won't know how well it transmits with
virtually no ground plane until I'm good and licensed. That coffee can
bit gave me a good idea for an RF ground plane, though.

I have to confess, I expected a much kinder reaction from
uk.amateur.radio, but some of them gave me some harsh words just
because I wasn't licensed! It's good to know I can get friendly help
somewhere.

Nelson Blaha

Old January 16th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dont even think about transmitting before you get your ticket I know this
can be a temptation once you have your equipment. The FCC is very serious
about this. You can be very heavily fined and lose the chance to ever be a
licensed ametuer radio operator. This is why I advise anyone who wants to
be a ham to get their ticket before getting their TX equipment. THE
TEMPTATION can be too great.

Jimmie

oups.com...

Old January 16th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bud Bud is offline

hi nelson,

You've got to start somewhere, and listening in on qso
is one of the best ways to learn.

Not sure where you are, check to see if there are any
nets on the repeaters in the area, our club has tech net
weekly, great way to learn about what others are doing
(right or wrong ?) !

Try a search for other hams in your area using qrz or other search tool.

have you visited www.eham.net ?

73

Old January 16th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Thanks for the advice Jimmie, it is indeed a strong temptation but I've
resisted it so far.

Bud, I'm on that! I've got two pages of repeater frequencies for all
over the Dallas/Ft Worth area (I'm conveniently in Arlington right
between) and I've been listening off and on for weeks. I feel like as
soon as I get my call sign, I could hop right in! That is, if my
antenna transmits as well as it receives... no ground plane, as I've
explained. Do you think the bottom of a peanut can would be enough?

Weirdly, I'm waiting on getting my call sign before I register on
eham.net, since I'm gonna use my call as my username. I'm sort of a
google fan anyway, I get to usenet through google groups-beta and
that's good for me.

QRZ search tool is news to me, I'll try that out.

Nelson Blaha

Old January 16th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

markus wrote:
hi Nelson,

yes, it is a lot of work, you could just attach the magmount
to any metal object, patio table, metal railing or window a/c unit, etc.

Yea, I suppose you could... Arf.... :/

or for a few dollars and less work build a great 2m antenna
using #12 thhn wire and a few feet of pvc pipe.

With even less work and $$$, he could just build a ground plane
using 5 wires and a so-239 or whatever..

this is the half square, works great, it is directional.

Probably not what he wants for 2 meters, unless he can steer
the pattern.

http://cebik.com/vhf/hs.html

then you can try this one, the Moxon for 2m, little harder to make
but has similar gain to a 2 element yagi in less space and direct fed
with 50 ohm coax (like the half square is fed).

Antennas are small on 2m.. He could live a little and use 3 elements
and have a good bit more gain. But then he has to rotate the thing..
I recommend a easy 1/4 wave ground plane to start. It will work about
as well or better as any of the other "easy" vertical whips for 2
meters.
Attaching a 2 meter whip to a railing, table, AC unit , etc is going to
function in a fairly poor manner. The ground radials need to be
resonant to function properly. Would be much better to use 4 simple
quarter wave radials. You can slope them down at about 45 degrees
to get a better match, and maybe a tiny bit more gain.
MK

Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? Bob Miller Shortwave 40 September 3rd 12 02:15 PM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
Passive Repeater Bryan Martin Antenna 13 February 10th 06 02:03 PM
The Long and Thin Vertical Loop Antenna. [ The Non-Resonance Vertical with a Difference ] RHF Shortwave 0 December 27th 05 06:03 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM