Old January 26th 04, 11:46 PM
Nelson

Default ARRL Licence Cheat Sheet

Is there such a thing, some guy in El Gorah, Egypt a Yank no less tried to
sell my friend a copy of this, ok so him and I were a little game, we bought
the thing from him, guess its seems to be all the right answers for the
Advanced test, so my question is now how many of these things are there out
there, and how guys are for real, not some two bit cow-boy that knows
nothing about nothing. What happens when we need those guys in a emergency
and they don't know crap!!.

Guys if you know of other cheat sheets out there, please send them this way,
I will do my level best to get them out.

Nelson Stevens

Old January 27th 04, 12:13 AM
Topaz305RK

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
TROLL - O - METER

Old January 27th 04, 05:37 PM
Steve Nosko

Love it!

"Topaz305RK" wrote in message

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
TROLL - O - METER

Old January 27th 04, 12:40 AM
Joel Kolstad

Nelson wrote:
Is there such a thing, some guy in El Gorah, Egypt a Yank no less tried to
sell my friend a copy of this, ok so him and I were a little game, we
bought the thing from him, guess its seems to be all the right answers
for the Advanced test, so my question is now how many of these things are
there out there, and how guys are for real, not some two bit cow-boy that
knows nothing about nothing. What happens when we need those guys in a
emergency and they don't know crap!!.

It seems that anyone who actually _purchases_ copies of the answers clearly
hasn't spent even 5 minutes studying the real material (enough time to learn
that all the answers are freely available) and therefore deserves to fail by
default? :-)

I think it's safe to say that most government-conducted exams have
publically available question and answer pools...

As far as what happens when we 'need those guys in an emergency' -- given
that amateurs are volunteers when it comes to providing emergency
communication services, I think it's safe to say, 'you get what you pay
before?' There's no guarantee, but clearly amateurs have typically shown
very high levels of competency and one can point to many examples where
their assistance was tremendously appreciated. Keep in mind that, in the
U.S., the same is also true of many rural fire departments -- 100%
volunteers! Something along the lines of, 'if you're not interested in
doing the job well, you probably won't sign up for it in the first place,
given that the most compensation you'll receive is a pat on the back...'

---Joel Kolstad

Old January 27th 04, 02:38 AM
Minnie Bannister

Not just *rural* fire departments: The Incorporated Village of Williston
Park (pop. ~ 10,000) on Long Island, NY has a volunteer Fire Department,
which solicits donations from the residents to keep things going.

Alan AB2OS

On 01/26/04 07:40 pm Joel Kolstad put fingers to keyboard and launched
the following message into cyberspace:

Old January 27th 04, 02:12 AM
Ralph Mowery

" Is there such a thing, some guy in El Gorah, Egypt a Yank no less tried
sell my friend a copy of this, ok so him and I were a little game, we

bought
the thing from him, guess its seems to be all the right answers for the
Advanced test, so my question is now how many of these things are there

out
there, and how guys are for real, not some two bit cow-boy that knows
nothing about nothing. What happens when we need those guys in a emergency
and they don't know crap!!.

Guys if you know of other cheat sheets out there, please send them this

way,
I will do my level best to get them out.

There are suckers born every day. I may be one for sending this. The FCC
requires that all question and answers for the test must be standard and
published. They are free on the internet and for a few dollars you can get
them most anywhere ham radio books are sold. It is about as cheep to buy the
book as it is to print them out on your own printer.

Old January 27th 04, 01:32 AM
Cecil Moore

Nelson wrote:
Guys if you know of other cheat sheets out there, please send them this way,
I will do my level best to get them out.

Good luck! The Q&A "cheat" sheets are published on the ARRL web page.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 27th 04, 01:34 AM
Dave Platt

Is there such a thing, some guy in El Gorah, Egypt a Yank no less tried to
sell my friend a copy of this, ok so him and I were a little game, we bought
the thing from him, guess its seems to be all the right answers for the
Advanced test,

Ummm... the correct answers for every question in each of the
licensing exam pools are posted on the ARRL web site. For example,
see http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/tech2003.txt to view the complete
question pool for the Technician exam - you'll find the correct answer
for each question listed with the question's number.

The actual exams consist of a certain number of questions drawn from
each subelement of the question pools. A whole bunch of different
exams are prepared in advance. Certainly, the correct numerical
answer for each coded exam ought not to be available... the specific
set of questions drawn from the pool for each of the exam sheets is
supposed to be kept confidential by the VECs.

If the "cheat sheet" to which you are referring is simply the list of
questions, each question's four choices, and an indication of
which choice is correct, then this is (and by current intent is
_supposed_ to be) public knowledge. That's how the FCC has set things
up for quite a few years. No need to pay anyone for it - it's freely
available from the ARRL, from the FCC, and probably from numerous
other sites.

so my question is now how many of these things are there out
there, and how guys are for real, not some two bit cow-boy that knows
nothing about nothing. What happens when we need those guys in a emergency
and they don't know crap!!.

A fair number of people get their Tech license by going to a one-day
"cram course", memorizing the answers to all of the questions, and
then taking and passing the exam.

Those among them who are wise, will realize that they don't really
know much if anything more than they did when they started, and will
treat this as the _beginning_ of their study and learning experience
rather than the end of it. These are among the amateurs who you'll be
able to count upon in an emergency.

Some of the others may very well be useless under those conditions.

However, even those who truly study the material _before_ they take
and pass the exam, will almost certainly need (or at least benefit by)
additional study and experience if they are to be of real use in a
communications emergency. Passing traffic, working effectively in
open and directed nets, working with government agencies, etc. are
topics which the FCC exams barely touch upon. I've learned a lot more
about these things by spending time on my local ARES/RACES nets, and
taking the basic ARRL Emergency Communications course, than I ever did
in studying for my ticket.

Guys if you know of other cheat sheets out there, please send them this way,
I will do my level best to get them out.

My guess is that you'll have no luck at all attempting this.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old January 27th 04, 02:10 AM
Sarge

and just what the hell is wrong with cowboys?!?!?!

Old January 27th 04, 04:31 AM
Crazy George

Well, since Tom Landry was fired......................Oh, you said cowboys,
not The Cowboys. (Squeaky Roseanne Rosanadana voice

--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address