Old February 15th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 2nd RFD: rec.radio.amateur.moderated moderated

In article , Bill Ogden
wrote:
FWIW, I have found moderated groups to be not very useful unless they
are for a very narrowly defined topic. I avoid them when possible.

Must admit that I don't often get involved in moderated groups either.
news.groups.moderated has had more posts from me than any other, and I've
only posted there twice.

Is there a way to have a newsgroup server reject all cross-posted
messages? The cross posting to multiple news groups seems to be the
source of much of the garbage. I suspect the whole newsgroup concept
would be improved if cross posting were automatically eliminated. (I
notice this message is being cross posted !)

Couldn't say for certain, but some news clients will filter out
crosspostings on download. The one I use, for example, does it.

--
//\ // Chika miyukiatcrashnetorguk
// \// "Word to the wise guy; be nice or be dog food!"

.... NetWare does not have bugs, it has "Undocumented enhancements"

Old February 15th 07, 07:24 PM posted to news.groups.proposals,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:42:53 CST, "Bill Ogden" wrote in :

Is there a way to have a newsgroup server reject all cross-posted messages?

Many servers limit crossposts to five or fewer.

The cross posting to multiple news groups seems to be the source of much of
the garbage. I suspect the whole newsgroup concept would be improved if
cross posting were automatically eliminated.

Moderation software can be written to set a limit for crossposting.

Individual users can write their own filters to killfile
crossposts automatically.

(I notice this message is
being cross posted !)

Yes. Crossposting has been a standard tool in discussions of
RFDs for a long time. The idea is to let folks in affected
or interested groups find out what is going on as well as
collecting the discussion in a central thread where it is
easily accessible.

It may be a source of annoyance to some in the crossposted
groups. If the subject line is preserved, folks who do not
want to see the discussion can killfile the thread by its
subject line.

Another tool is to use the "followup" header to redirect
replies to a single newsgroup. That can cause troubles, too,
especially for unwary respondents who do not know that their
replies may be going to an entirely different newsgroup.

Marty
--
Member of the Big-8 Management Board (B8MB) -- http://www.big-8.org
Unless otherwise indicated, I speak for myself, not for the Board.