Old January 27th 04, 05:09 PM
Metalhead

Default Distance between transmit and receive antennas on 160 meters

I am thinking about building a small receiving loop for 160 meters. I
can probably only get the loop about 50 feet or so away from my
transmitting antenna (inverted L.) My questions a

1) Is this spacing to close?
2) Does spacing this close effect the radiation pattern for the
transmitting Inverted L?
3) Is the only drawback to this close spacing a nosier receiving
loop?

Would just like some opinions before I go through the trouble of
building the loop. The particular loop design I am looking at is the
KC2TX receiving loop.

Thanks for any opinions, positive or negative.

Burch
K4QXX

Old January 27th 04, 09:43 PM
David Robbins

"Metalhead" wrote in message

I am thinking about building a small receiving loop for 160 meters. I
can probably only get the loop about 50 feet or so away from my
transmitting antenna (inverted L.) My questions a

1) Is this spacing to close?

only if you want to tx and rx at the same time

2) Does spacing this close effect the radiation pattern for the
transmitting Inverted L?

probably not so that you would notice it.

3) Is the only drawback to this close spacing a nosier receiving
loop?

the loop will probably not pick up much coupled from the L, or at least not
enough to cause any real problem.

Old January 28th 04, 02:24 AM
Butch

Several years ago I put up an 80mtr loop without taking down my inverted
V. The loop sorta surounded the V. and I did have an improved
receive and transmit signal on it. When I lowered the V down to ground
level I couldn't tell any difference in the loop. So, if it's ok on 80
it oughta be ok for 160 whether you use one or both at the same time.

Try it, only cost you a little time.

Butch KF5DE

Old January 28th 04, 03:38 PM
Mikey

The theoretical gains far outweigh any drawbacks. If you can't get any
further away than 50 ft., then go with it. I seriously doubt you would
detect any difference in transmit pattern. If you do, you can always take
the loop down...

- Mike KI6PR
El Rancho R.F., CA

"Metalhead" wrote

Old January 28th 04, 06:09 PM
Richard Harrison

Metalhead wrote:
"I am thinking about building a small receiving loop for 160 meters. I
can probably only get the loop about 50 feet or so away from my
transmitting antenna (inverted L)."

That`s only about 15 meters of separation and the wavelength is 160
meters. The loop is in the near field.

Suggestion: Change the L to a T. This balances out horizontal radiation.
Performance of the T is at least as good as the L, and the radiation
from a balanced T is cross-polarized with the horizontal loop. Symmetry
is important here. A horizontally polarized receiving antenna rejects
ground-wave propagated noise as there is no ground wave propagation of
horizontally polarized energy. The horizontally polarized loop is a good
choice for sky wave reflected signals as these are reflected from the
ionosphere with equal horizontal and vertical signal components,
regardless of the polarization of signal incident upon the ionosphere.

Just keep the horizontal portion of the L, and tap it at its center. Try
to keep the vertical portion as vertical as possible to maintain balance
between halves of the capacitive hat which now caps the vertical
antenna.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Ten-tec vee beam Tom Coates Antenna 8 September 21st 03 12:47 AM
Active antenna combiner (transmit & receive), 30-87 MHz Stefan Moscibroda Antenna 0 August 24th 03 08:52 PM