Old January 28th 04, 11:39 AM
Maurizio

Default NEC4 & MF antenna modelling with earth

Hi all,
Is there anybody with some experience in MF antenna modelling with
ground effect included (surface wave/space wave) etc. ?
I have the need to find out if the NEC4 is able to modellize this type
of antenna in a general environment and with which performance.
Otherwise, I will have to find out alternative ways (FEM/...).

Thanks in advance for any suggestion

Best regards

Dr. Maurizio Lori
Antenna System Design
via P.Anfossi,15 00124 Rome Italy
Tel. + Fax: +39 06 50915496 - Cell. +39 328 1555179

Old January 29th 04, 01:45 PM
Maurizio

Richard Clark wrote in message . ..
On 28 Jan 2004 03:39:57 -0800, (Maurizio) wrote:

Hi all,
Is there anybody with some experience in MF antenna modelling with
ground effect included (surface wave/space wave) etc. ?
I have the need to find out if the NEC4 is able to modellize this type
of antenna in a general environment and with which performance.
Otherwise, I will have to find out alternative ways (FEM/...).

Thanks in advance for any suggestion

Best regards

Hi Maurizio,

Antenna modelers (NEC engines) render far, far field results. The
effect of ground is considered only for
1. its impact on feedpoint Z;
2. equivalent launch angle (from the perspective of very far, or DX,
receivers).

What you describe as your need sounds more like the province of
propagation modelers. There are some add-on packages that incorporate
with antenna modelers to allow for a variety of terrains; but even
those, I think, still relate to the very far, DX, receivers.

Even the propagation modelers (like VOACAP and VOAAREA) are tailored
for HF and the far, far field. Our references from the FCC for MF
broadcast stations stands as a resource. Those references go back
many years and little has advanced the science as it has served the
industry very well.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Hi Richard,
I know that some studies have been done in the past using NEC4 to find
the ground wave/space wave fields, but my primary interest is in the
near zone modelling of such MF antennas, in particular in presence of
non-flat ground.
The scope is to make a tool to evaluate the radiated fields in
inhabited regions with limits in the maximum field amplitude.
A tool dedicated to this task would be very useful for the site
evaluation.

I have some idea on based on recent studies, but maybe (as often
happen) that others have already done something interesting.

Are these FCC resources dealing with such issues ?
And if so are they freely available?

Thanks in advance

Maurizio
Old January 30th 04, 10:16 AM
Maurizio

Hi Richard,
my feeling is that in the past some studies have tried to find out the
structure and relative strenght of the ground/space wave fields.
Experience has then given rules to evaluate the losses due to the high
reactive fields near the antenna with the lossy ground (i have seen a
paper using a 6 dB factor to take into account antenna mismatch and
such nearby losses).
It maybe that this is almost all that has been done.
Do you agree?

Maurizio

Old January 30th 04, 07:35 PM
Maurizio

wrote in message . com...
(Maurizio) wrote in message . com...
Hi all,
Is there anybody with some experience in MF antenna modelling with
ground effect included (surface wave/space wave) etc. ?
I have the need to find out if the NEC4 is able to modellize this type
of antenna in a general environment and with which performance.
Otherwise, I will have to find out alternative ways (FEM/...).

I see you come from Italy, and (for as far as I know) the Nec4 core is
not (yet) available for none US citizens due to export restrictions.

You could consider using the Nec2 core. However not directly capable
of modelling burried radial wires you can simulate them by using
radial wires located some .001-.005 wl above ground (See
www.cebik.com
for detailed info about this subject).

When modeling structures on MF (or LF) however you should also be
carefull not to violate segment length restrictions due to the
relatively low frequency compared to structure size.

You could take a look at the 4nec2 freeware
(www.qsl.net/wb6tpu/swindex.html) to see if the nec2 core is usefull.
4nec2 also has provisions for generating and visualizing far-field
patterns in which the surface wave is included.

Greetings,
Arie Voors.

Thanks a lot Arie for the links which as I have rapidly seen contain
many interesting references.
My experience is mainly in microwave (and up) frequency antennas, it
is the first time I look at these low frequency problems like ground
modelling and I see that this is the right newsgroup for this field.
If I will find some way to manage this problem better than how it is
currently done, I will keep you informed.
I would need to make a comparison between simulation results from MOM
and FEM programs of a common broadcast antenna to have a better view
of the situation.
Maybe that I can arrange such simulation comparison.

Thanks again
Old January 30th 04, 09:06 PM
Richard Clark

On 30 Jan 2004 02:16:09 -0800, (Maurizio) wrote:

Hi Richard,
my feeling is that in the past some studies have tried to find out the
structure and relative strenght of the ground/space wave fields.
Experience has then given rules to evaluate the losses due to the high
reactive fields near the antenna with the lossy ground (i have seen a
paper using a 6 dB factor to take into account antenna mismatch and
such nearby losses).
It maybe that this is almost all that has been done.
Do you agree?

Maurizio

Hi Maurizio,

I worked on this a couple of years ago:
http://home.comcast.net/~kb7qhc/ante...elds/index.htm

It deals not so much with the variation of ground proximity with a
standard antenna, instead it works against the standard ground with a
variety of antennas.

Due to the intricacy of geometry afforded by a fractal form, this:
http://home.comcast.net/~kb7qhc/ante...atic/index.htm
is the most interesting. Unfortunately, the legacy of academic
fractal research (sic) has offered no more interest than the morbid
study of Down's Syndrome among the Armadillo population.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old January 31st 04, 03:42 PM
Maurizio

[...]

It seems that you have tried to shorten somewhat these cumbersome
antennas with the fractal approach.
I have seen recently an interesting paper on antennas & propagation
proceedings/magazine that was comparing the performance of fractal and
non-fractal designs.
Regarding the graphs you show in the web pages, if I have well
understood, you compare the E/H local fields (amplitudes) with the
free space impedence.
It is an alternative way to look at the near reactive fields.
However, the antenna that was simulated in the paper I was talking
about is a real antenna that has been modellized with a dedicated MOM
program and with the correct antenna geomety, and results have been
compared with measurements.
From this comparison it has been necessary the introduction of such
factor.
It seems to me that the 6 dB factor had to take into account all
losses from the transmitter to the radiated fields.
My concern is how this factor can be justified.
6 dB is a lot in terms of antenna usefull coverage distance.

Maurizio