Old February 14th 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Antenna Modeling Software

I am looking to purchase some antenna modeling software.
Can anyone make a suggestion as to which one they think is the best,
easiest to use and best value for the money.

Old February 14th 07, 09:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 14 feb, 07:20, "Black Sheep"
wrote:
I am looking to purchase some antenna modeling software.
Can anyone make a suggestion as to which one they think is the best,
easiest to use and best value for the money.

Hello Black Sheep,

Can you provide us with some information about your antenna
challenges? It will make us easier to answer your question.

I am thinking of antenna types (wire antennas, printed circuit board
antennas, with / without dielectric materials, size with respect to
wavelength, etc), how frequently will you us it, available budget, is
it for professional or amateur use, etc.

Best Regards,

Wim
PA3DJS

Old February 14th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Black Sheep" wrote in message
.. .
I am looking to purchase some antenna modeling software.
Can anyone make a suggestion as to which one they think is the best,
easiest to use and best value for the money.

Hi Black

Have you tried the free/demo version of EZNEC? "How To Use" that
antenna modeling program is well described in in HAM publications by guys
like Cebik http://www.cebik.com/amod/amod103.html. It is easy to
use even without outside assistance. I'd like to know why every ham with
antenna interest doesnt have a copy of EZNEC. Try the moseling
software at http://www.eznec.com/ then, if you have time, tell me
why it isnt of interest to you.

Jerry

Old February 14th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

On 13 Feb, 22:20, "Black Sheep"
wrote:
I am looking to purchase some antenna modeling software.
Can anyone make a suggestion as to which one they think is the best,
easiest to use and best value for the money.

I would buy only programs that allow for variables in dimensions such
that the program can migrate towards more advantageous models. I
really see no advantage purchasing a program that solely determines
the merits of a model
that you alone have put together. The variable dimension forms tho
more expensive than the standard forms are now comming down in price
tho one in South Africa is still in the four figure range for
unlimited pulses and variable dimensions but there are some that are a
lot less expensive as more algorithms come to the fore.
Art

Old February 14th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Feb 14, 8:18 am, "art" wrote:
On 13 Feb, 22:20, "Black Sheep"
wrote:

I am looking to purchase some antenna modeling software.
Can anyone make a suggestion as to which one they think is the best,
easiest to use and best value for the money.

Have you tried the free/demo version of EZNEC? "How To Use" that
antenna modeling program is well described in in HAM publications by guys
like Cebik http://www.cebik.com/amod/amod103.html. It is easy to
use even without outside assistance. I'd like to know why every ham with
antenna interest doesnt have a copy of EZNEC. Try the moseling
software at http://www.eznec.com/ then, if you have time, tell me
why it isnt of interest to you.

I would buy only programs that allow for variables in dimensions such
that the program can migrate towards more advantageous models.

I'm partial to 4nec2 (which is free) which uses the standard NEC2
engine underneath. It has variables and optimizers as well. It can
also fire up the NEC4 engine, if you have a copy of it.

While I wouldn't insist that hams use EZNEC, I do think that if you're
interested in antenna design, SOME modeling program is worth fooling
with. Original vanilla NEC is a bit archaic in it's interface
(punched cards and line printer output) but there's lots of front and
back ends (e.g. EZNEC, 4nec2, MultiNEC (from AC6LA), SuperNEC, etc.)
Some are free, some cost a little, some cost a lot. If you wind up
having to model BIG things (thousands of segments, dielectric media,
etc), then the pricier products are easier and faster. Most hams are
modeling things that are well represented by wires, so all the Method
of Moment (MoM) codes, of which NEC is an example, work pretty well.

Old February 14th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

On 14 Feb, 08:18, "art" wrote:
On 13 Feb, 22:20, "Black Sheep"
wrote:

I am looking to purchase some antenna modeling software.
Can anyone make a suggestion as to which one they think is the best,
easiest to use and best value for the money.

I would buy only programs that allow for variables in dimensions such
that the program can migrate towards more advantageous models. I
really see no advantage purchasing a program that solely determines
the merits of a model
that you alone have put together. The variable dimension forms tho
more expensive than the standard forms are now comming down in price
tho one in South Africa is still in the four figure range for
unlimited pulses and variable dimensions but there are some that are a
lot less expensive as more algorithms come to the fore.
Art

I just remembered that with respect to that expensive South African
program that if you were a student you would be eligable to purchase
it for a period of one year for about $80 which may well allow you the
time to choose a more applicible purchase for your needs
Art

Old February 15th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:00:46 -0800, Wimpie wrote:

On 14 feb, 07:20, "Black Sheep"
wrote:
I am looking to purchase some antenna modeling software.
Can anyone make a suggestion as to which one they think is the best,
easiest to use and best value for the money.

Hello Black Sheep,

Can you provide us with some information about your antenna
challenges? It will make us easier to answer your question.

I am thinking of antenna types (wire antennas, printed circuit board
antennas, with / without dielectric materials, size with respect to
wavelength, etc), how frequently will you us it, available budget, is
it for professional or amateur use, etc.

Best Regards,

Wim
PA3DJS

My needs are for amateur antennas, wires, verticals, yagis & etc.
Just want to model antennas which I have ideas about or those which are
already built and what might happen if it were modified to another
configuration.

I guess if price were a consideration no more than $150.

Old February 15th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 14:32:30 +0000, Jerry Martes wrote:

"Black Sheep" wrote in message
.. .
I am looking to purchase some antenna modeling software.
Can anyone make a suggestion as to which one they think is the best,
easiest to use and best value for the money.

Hi Black

Have you tried the free/demo version of EZNEC? "How To Use" that
antenna modeling program is well described in in HAM publications by guys
like Cebik http://www.cebik.com/amod/amod103.html. It is easy to
use even without outside assistance. I'd like to know why every ham with
antenna interest doesnt have a copy of EZNEC. Try the moseling
software at http://www.eznec.com/ then, if you have time, tell me
why it isnt of interest to you.

Jerry

I have looked at EZNEC but there are others out there also. This is why
the question is being asked.

Which ones do you like and why? What one would you recommend to me and why?
What features do you like about the program you are using.

Basically, you be the sales person for whatever modeling progam you use.

Old February 15th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:23:04 -0800, jimlux wrote:

On Feb 14, 8:18 am, "art" wrote:
On 13 Feb, 22:20, "Black Sheep"
wrote:

[...]

I suppose any good modeling program would work for amateur antennas.
What I would appreciate is a good as to which one you like and why.
Recommend the one you like best to me. I am willing to spend up to $150
for good modeling software. Easy to understand and use would be important.

Its my understanding that the author of EZNEC hangs out in this group, I
wish he would put his 2 cents in also.

Old February 16th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

[...]

I like EZNEC because it works very well, it is very affordable, it is
supported by an extremely good technical guy, it is easy to use, there is
alot of ARRL/HAM instructions available, it will produce circularly
polarized plots. AND, it is Affordable.
I also assume that *if* you were a professional, looking for advice on a
program for antenna modeling, you wouldnt be asking on this "HAM related
news group".

Jerry

Loop Antennas / minijack works-clips don't / impedence?? [email protected] Shortwave 14 August 23rd 06 04:07 AM
Bose Wave Radio - What's Your Opinion ? David Shortwave 16 June 12th 06 07:48 AM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
I Want Another Antenna Lenny Shortwave 4 January 23rd 06 10:12 PM
Anyone with Antenna Modeling software do me a favor R. Scott Antenna 5 March 9th 04 05:05 PM