Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 3rd 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Mobile Antenna Installation

Hi, i am a new ham and i just purchased an old VP commodore station wagon. I
was wondering what the best method would be mounting antennas on this
vehicle. It has a non metallic roof rack so i was thinking of getting a
metal plate across the roof rack and mounting the antennas on that. So i was
thinking:

1. How to electrically connect the plate to the vehicle
2. What order/sizes to have the antennas in. (Largest at back, smallest at
front? It shouldn't really matter, depending on directionality
requirements.)
3. The best method of routing the coax from inside car to roof plate, i
don't want to cut holes in the roof if not needed but probably will have to.

Please feel free to suggest any methods used or ideas. I will probably have
antennas for the following but not sure what the "best" antennas are for
each radio, once again, feel free to suggest antennas to use...

UHF CB
2 Metres
70cms
Scanner

I could use a dual band for the 2/70 antenna but i want a good one. I am in
VK land so anything not sold in VK i won't buy.

Thanks for looking...

Gary
VK3LCD