Old March 16th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wes Wes is offline

Default Tower design

On Mar 14, 6:37 pm, "JIMMIE" wrote:
[snip]

That is a great website you sent me to, much morethan just the pdf
file I was looking for.
k6mhe.com/

Yep, Danny has some good stuff there.

I tried sending a similar message to this before but this horrible
Google Groups swallowed it somewhere.

Another related resource would be Leeson's book, "Physical Design of
Yagi Antennas." Clearly, you are not designing a Yagi, but a lot of
the material strength, deflection, wind loading, etc is applicable.

There was also an Excel workbook offered by ARRL to accompany the
book. I have it someplace, but can't lay my hand on it at the moment.

Once you get the above ground part designed, you need to worry about
the anchor too. Here's a link to a paper that might help the

http://k6mhe.com/n7ws/SizeConcrete.doc

Wes

Old March 16th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 16 Mar 2007 06:50:14 -0700, "Wes" wrote:

On Mar 14, 6:37 pm, "JIMMIE" wrote:
[snip]

That is a great website you sent me to, much morethan just the pdf
file I was looking for.
k6mhe.com/

Yep, Danny has some good stuff there.

I tried sending a similar message to this before but this horrible
Google Groups swallowed it somewhere.

Another related resource would be Leeson's book, "Physical Design of
Yagi Antennas." Clearly, you are not designing a Yagi, but a lot of
the material strength, deflection, wind loading, etc is applicable.

There was also an Excel workbook offered by ARRL to accompany the
book. I have it someplace, but can't lay my hand on it at the moment.

Once you get the above ground part designed, you need to worry about
the anchor too. Here's a link to a paper that might help the

http://k6mhe.com/n7ws/SizeConcrete.doc

Wes

Sometimes it is best to back into the correct answer... The suppliers
are going to charge me for 5 yards of concrete in my area whether I
use it or not...
The other choice is to mix it myself.

John Ferrell W8CCW
"Life is easier if you learn to
plow around the stumps"
Old March 16th 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to find information on build your own tower. As retirement
nears I plan on having a lot more time for doing things like this and
will have a few acres I can devote to an antenna farm. I wouldnt mind
learning to design them from scratch but would prefer a computer
program if one is available. I know to some building your own tower
may not seem practical but my wife and I inherited a lot of the basic
materials when her father passed away. I am especialy interested in
building tubular foldover mast 50 to 70 ft tall. It seems like years
ago I came across a magazine article on this that also had associated
design software. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jimmie

Go for it!

http://www.funnyphotos.net.au/userim...169899532a.jpg

Old March 16th 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 16, 12:05 am, "Sal M. Onella"
wrote:
"JIMMIE" wrote in message

oups.com...

I am trying to find information on build your own tower. As retirement
nears I plan on having a lot more time for doing things like this and
will have a few acres I can devote to an antenna farm. I wouldnt mind
learning to design them from scratch but would prefer a computer
program if one is available. I know to some building your own tower
may not seem practical but my wife and I inherited a lot of the basic
materials when her father passed away. I am especialy interested in
building tubular foldover mast 50 to 70 ft tall. It seems like years
ago I came across a magazine article on this that also had associated
design software. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jimmie

Go for it!

http://www.funnyphotos.net.au/userim...169899532a.jpg

Your pic reminded me, somewhere in all the junk ther are 4 35 ft long
steel street lamp poles. I know I have made the place sound like a
junk yard but it isnt by a long way. Most of this stuff is inside a 30
x 60 ft building that you could drive a big motorhome into.

Jimmie

Old March 16th 07, 11:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I am trying to find information on build your own tower....

"Design Data for Pipe Masts", Ham Radio, July 1989, pp. 38 ff.
"A One-Man Skyhook", QST, July 1947 pp. 19 ff.
"A Sturdy 55-Ft. Skyhook", QST, October 1947, pp. 28 ff.
"A Low-Cost Tilt-Over Tower", QST, November 1971, pp. 22 ff.
"A 40 Foot Non-Conductive Sky-Hook", 73 Magazine, July 1968, pp. 16 ff.
"Telescoping Antenna Mast", QST, March 1958, pp. 28 ff.
"The Beam Pole", 73 Magazine, date not on torn-out article, pp. 24 ff.
"A Self Supporting Antenna Mast", CQ, November 1962, pp. 44 ff.
"A Foldover Cheapie", 73 Amateur Radio, September 1987, pp. 19 ff.
"New Approach to the Fold-Over Tower", QST, date unknown, p. 36
"A Tilt-Over/Swivel Antenna Mount for Recreation Vehicles",
73 Amateur Radio Today, July 1993, pp. 28 ff.
"A Self-Supporting Antenna Tower", QST, March 1941, pp. 18 ff.
"A Counterweighted Antenna Tower", Radio, November 1941, pp. 44 ff.
"Sixty Cents Per Foot", QST, June 1959, pp. 30 ff.
"Lightweight Utility Mast", QST, July 1960, pp. 30 ff.
"A Telescoping Mast, Mark II", WST, April 1966, pp. 96 ff.

--
--Myron A. Calhoun; W0PBV; 2001 Dunbar Road; Manhattan, KS 66502-3907
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge

Old March 17th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks a million I have been looking for an excuse to get back issues of QST
on a disk.

Jimmie