Old March 21st 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Revisiting the Power Explanation

"Walter Maxwell" wrote
(RF): And if so, would that also mean that such a tx would not be prone
to producing r-f intermodulation components when external signals
are fed back into the tx from co-sited r-f systems?

This issue is irrelevant, because the signals arriving from a co-sited
system would not be coherent with the local source signals, while load-
reflected signals are coherent. The destructive and constructive
interference that occurs at the output of a correctly loaded and tuned
PA requires coherence of the source and reflected waves to achieve
the total re-reflection of the reflected waves back into the direction
toward the load.

But even for coherent reflections, if the PA tank circuit has very low loss
for incident power (which it does), why does it not have ~ equally low loss
for load reflections of that power? Such would mean that load reflections
would pass through the tank to appear at the output element of the PA, where
they can add to its normal power dissipation.

Also, does not the result of combining the incident and reflected waves in
the tx depend in large part on the r-f phase of the reflection there
relative to the r-f phase of the incident wave? And the r-f phase of the
reflection is governed mostly by the number of electrical wavelengths of
transmission line between the load reflection and the plane of
interest/concern -- which is independent of how the tx has been
tuned/loaded.

If the ham transmitter designs that your paper applies to produce a total
re-reflection of reverse power seen at their output tank circuits, then
there would be no particular need for "VSWR foldback" circuits to protect
them. Yet I believe these circuits are fairly common in ham transmitters,
aren't they? They certainly are universal in modern AM/FM/TV broadcast
transmitters, and are the result of early field experience where PA tubes,
tx output networks, and the transmission line between the tx and the antenna
could arc over and/or melt when reflected power was sufficiently high.

RF

Old March 22nd 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 08:18:14 -0500, "Richard Fry" wrote:

[...]

Richard, your statement above begs the question, "Are you aware of the phase relationships between forward and
reflected voltages and between forward and reflected currrents that accomplish the impedance-matching effect
at matching points such as with stub matching and also with antenna tuners?

When the matching is accomplished the phase relationship between the foward and reflected voltages can become
either 0° or 180°, resulting in a total re-reflection of the voltage. If the resultant voltage is 0°, then the
resultant current is 180°, thus voltage sees a virtual open circuit and the current sees a virtual short
circuit. The result is that the reflected voltage and current are totally re-reflected IN PHASE with the
source voltage and current. This is the reason the forward power in the line is greater than the source power
when the line is mismatched at the load, but where the matching device has re-reflected the reflected waves.

This phenomenon occurs in all tube transmitters in the ham world when the tank circuit is adjusted for
delivering all available power at a given drive level. When this condition occurs the adjustment of the
pi-network has caused the relationship between the forward and reflected voltages to be either 0° or 180° and
vice versa for currents, as explained above. When this condition occurs, destructive interference between the
forward and reflected voltages, as well as between the forward and reflected currents, causes the reflected
voltage and current to cancel. However, due to the conservation of energy, the reflected voltage and current
cannot just disappear, so the resulting constructive interference following immediately, causes the reflected
voltage and current to be reversed in direction, now going in the foward direction along with and in phase
with the forward voltage and current.

In transmitters with tubes and a pi-network output coupling circuit there is no 'fold back' circuitry to
protect the amp, because none is needed, due to the total re-reflection of the reflected power. It is only in
solid-state transmitters that have no circuitry to achieve destructive and constructive interference that
requires fold back to protect the output transistors.

This has been a quick and dirty explanation of the phase relations that accomplish impedance matching.
However, I have explained it in much more detail in my book "Reflections--Transmission Lines and Antennas."
Yes, I know the book has been sold out and now unavailable, but I have put several chapters on my web page
avaliable for downloading. The pertinent chapters covering this issue are Chapters 3, 4, and 23, available at
www.w2du.com. I hope that reviewing these chapters will be helpful in clearing up some of the
misunderstandings that are clearly evident in some of the postings on this thread.

Walt, W2DU

Old March 22nd 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Walter Maxwell wrote:
In transmitters with tubes and a pi-network output coupling circuit there is no 'fold back' circuitry to
protect the amp, because none is needed, due to the total re-reflection of the reflected power. It is only in
solid-state transmitters that have no circuitry to achieve destructive and constructive interference that
requires fold back to protect the output transistors.

One can illustrate the destructive and constructive
interference with a solid-state transmitter and
no tuner. Consider the following example using
S-parameter terms.

100W--50 ohm line--+--1/2WL 300 ohm line--50 ohms
a1-- --a2
--b1 b2--

Since there is zero reflected power on the 50 ohm
line, we know that "total destructive interference"
(as described by Hecht in "Optics", 4th edition, page
388) exists toward the source at point '+'.
s11 = (300-50)/(300+50) = 0.7143 = -s12
b1 = (s11)(a1) + (s12)(a2) = 0

Note that given a1, s11, and s12, we can calculate the
magnitude and phase of a2 needed to make b1=0. That
is the Z0-match condition.

The conservation of energy principle says that, (in
a transmission line with only two directions) "total
constructive interference" must exist in the opposite
direction to the "total destructive interference" and
that they must be of equal magnitudes. That tells us
what *must* happen to the energy associated with the
a2 reflected wave.

All of the energy incident upon point '+' from both
directions, |a1|^2 + |a2|^2, is directed toward the
load by the interference patterns at the Z0-match
point '+'. We hams commonly refer to that condition
as being 100% re-reflected.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old March 22nd 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
All of the energy incident upon point '+' from both
directions, |a1|^2 + |a2|^2, is directed toward the
load by the interference patterns at the Z0-match
point '+'. We hams commonly refer to that condition
as being 100% re-reflected.

The above is true in the special case of a Z0-match.
In general, |a1|^2 + |a2|^2 = |b1|^2 + |b2|^2
and since |b1|^2 = 0, the above expression is
correct.

*Quoting from HP Ap Note 95-1*:

|a1|^2 = Power incident on the input of the network
(i.e. Forward power on the 50 ohm line)

|a2|^2 = Power reflected from the load
(i.e. Reflected power on the 300 ohm line)

|b1|^2 = Power reflected from the input port of the network
(i.e. Reflected power on the 50 ohm line)

|b2|^2 = Power incident on the load
(i.e. Forward power on the 300 ohm line)

end quote from HP Ap Note 95-1
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old March 22nd 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote in
:

s11 = (300-50)/(300+50) = 0.7143 = -s12
b1 = (s11)(a1) + (s12)(a2) = 0

Cecil,

I see you are back to using S parameters to disguise the fact you are using
about Vf and Vr in trying to support your "power wave" explanation of what
happens on the transmission line.

S parameters are ratios of Vf and Vr.

Owen

Old March 22nd 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Owen Duffy wrote:
I see you are back to using S parameters to disguise the fact you are using
about Vf and Vr in trying to support your "power wave" explanation of what
happens on the transmission line.

Others use the term "power wave", Owen, but *I DO NOT*
so please stop accusing me of something of which I am
not guilty. I use the term "EM RF energy wave" for
the traveling waves under discussion.

When anyone can prove that RF energy waves don't exist
or are not associated with EM energy or don't move at
the speed of light, I will retire from the argument.
Good luck on that one.

S parameters are ratios of Vf and Vr.

Exactly! No disguise intended - it's just additional
support from the well respected field of S-parameter
analysis for the distributed network wave reflection
model. The only difference is that the S-parameter
Vf and Vr values are normalized to Z0 so when they
are squared they indeed do yield watts.

Your tone seems to reject the S-Parameter analysis
as a valid model of reality. Any model that has to
resort to rejecting the S-Parameter analysis as well
as the distributed network wave reflection model is
certainly suspect. Did you ever see the movie, "One
Bridge Too Far"? This "reflected wave energy doesn't
exist" argument reminds me of that movie.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old March 22nd 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote in
:

Your tone seems to reject the S-Parameter analysis
as a valid model of reality. Any model that has to

Not at all.

S parameters are Vf and Vr based and when properly applied will produce
exactly the same analysis outcome.

It is the application of S parameters in the "power flow analysis" that
is a reach, it might be convenient, but it does not legitmise the
argument that forward and reflected "power waves" exist separately.

A quote from HP (which you seem to respect):

===quote
Notice that the square of the magnitude of these
new variables has the dimension of power. |a1|^2
can then be thought of as the incident power on
port one; |b1|^2 as power reflected from port one.
These new waves can be called traveling power
waves rather than traveling voltage waves.
Throughout this seminar, we will simply refer to
these waves as traveling waves.
===equote

There is a difference between "can then be thought of as..." and
"are...".

Owen
Old March 22nd 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Owen Duffy wrote:
It is the application of S parameters in the "power flow analysis" that
is a reach, it might be convenient, but it does not legitmise the
argument that forward and reflected "power waves" exist separately.

Nth reminder to you: Please stop implying something
I didn't say. I have said that forward and reflected RF
traveling energy waves exist separately. If you can find
an example of me using the term "power wave" in the 21st
century, I will send you a $100 bill.

A quote from HP (which you seem to respect):
Throughout this seminar, we will simply refer to
these waves as traveling waves.

There is a difference between "can then be thought of as..." and
"are...".

EXACTLY! You and I are generally in agreement except
when you accuse me of nonsense like "power waves".
Please cease and desist! I simply refer to these
waves as traveling energy waves, NOT POWER WAVES!
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old March 27th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil, W5DXP wrote:
"Others use the term 'power wave', but I DO NOT, so please stop accusing
me of something I am not guilty."

Power waves are respectable but a writer chooses his own words.

Searching the web on topic: "power reflection on mismatched line"
yielded 12,778 hits. First two were from the physics department of the
University of Queensland in Australia. No qualms about the word "power"
are shown and sample problems are worked. Here is one statement: "Note
that the power reflection coefficient is equal to the square of the
voltage (or current) coefficient because forward or reflected waves are
in rhe same impedance."

Remarkable or not, that is the seesnce of what the Bird Electronic
Corporation says in instructions for its "Thruline Wattmeter".

Power is acceptable and accepted. Why avoid the term?

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old March 27th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Richard Harrison wrote:
Power is acceptable and accepted. Why avoid the term?

Jim Kelley, AC6XG, has convinced me to make the
distinction between the nature of EM energy and
the nature of EM power. Power is what exists at
a point or plane. Energy is what is moving past
the point or through the plane. Reflected power
is measured at a point. Reflected energy is
what is doing the moving past that point.

In addition, there's the difference in definitions
between the fields of RF engineering and the field
of physics. In physics, zero work implies zero power.

I am not avoiding power. I am avoiding "power waves"
and "power flow". The dimensions of power flowing past
a point would be watts/second. I don't know what physical
quantity that would represent.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

The power explanation Owen Duffy Antenna 48 March 15th 07 05:01 PM
again a few words of explanation Mork Moron Morgan General 2 August 30th 06 01:19 PM
again a few words of explanation an old friend Policy 10 August 30th 06 01:19 PM
Explanation wanted John, N9JG Antenna 7 May 26th 06 08:02 AM
New ham needing explanation on radios [email protected] General 9 December 22nd 04 08:28 PM