RadioBanter

-   -   Nutty Antenna Idea -- Complete with Rhetorical Questions (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/117110-nutty-antenna-idea-complete-rhetorical-questions.html)

Sal M. Onella March 24th 07 06:45 AM

Nutty Antenna Idea -- Complete with Rhetorical Questions

I have two multiband trap verticals They are not exactly the same, but
close. Obviously they're intended to be mounted vertically above a ground.

What happens if I mount them horizontally, base-to base? If I feed one with
coax as designed, would it see the other one as a counterpoise? Could I
remove any base matching components and feed them both with a 1:1 balun, in
effect duplicating the function of a horizontal wire trap dipole?

I'm really impressed with the lower noise of a horizontal antenna. Screw
the directionality drawbacks of a horizontal! I can hear more stations.

I am having great fun with HF. My 10 meter copper pipe dipole is laying on
the roof with one element extended using a short clip lead and some RG-6 TV
coax. Tonight, my Kenwood TS-120 reached out from San Diego for a QSO with
New Zealand on 20 meters, my first contact outside this hemisphere. Neat.

"Sal"
(really KD6VKW)

Jimmie D March 24th 07 10:11 AM

"Sal M. Onella" wrote in message
[...]

What you would have is a trap dipole, a fairly common antenna. With out
seeing the antennas I am not sure how the twoo different types would
intereact but its worth a try. You will probably need a tuner.

Buck[_2_] March 24th 07 01:21 PM

Nutty Antenna Idea -- Complete with Rhetorical Questions

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 06:11:45 -0400, "Jimmie D"
wrote:

[...]

If both were the same, I think he would be better off, but it should
turn into a rotatable dipole similar to a multiband beam, but without
the directors and reflectors. I see there is no reason it shouldn't
work once he gets them tuned.

Buck

--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGW

Cecil Moore[_2_] March 24th 07 02:05 PM

Buck wrote:
If both were the same, I think he would be better off, but it should
turn into a rotatable dipole similar to a multiband beam, but without
the directors and reflectors. I see there is no reason it shouldn't
work once he gets them tuned.

How much would it weigh?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Jimmie D March 24th 07 04:05 PM

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Buck wrote:
If both were the same, I think he would be better off, but it should
turn into a rotatable dipole similar to a multiband beam, but without
the directors and reflectors. I see there is no reason it shouldn't
work once he gets them tuned.

How much would it weigh?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Yeah I thought about that too after my inital post. It would be a bear to
make a rotateable dipole using this if its anything like my old trap
vertical.

[email protected] March 25th 07 02:52 AM

Nutty Antenna Idea -- Complete with Rhetorical Questions

I have two multiband trap verticals They are not exactly the same, but
close. Obviously they're intended to be mounted vertically above a ground.
What happens if I mount them horizontally, base-to base? If I feed one with
....[snip]....

I've done it with pairs of identical "hamsticks" (not multiband, but
quick-disconnects made it relatively easy to change bands), coax fed,
and mounted (horizontally, pointed fore and aft, of course!-) about
two feet above the cab of my pickup. It made a GREAT NVIS HF antenna!

--
--Myron A. Calhoun; W0PBV; 2001 Dunbar Road; Manhattan, KS 66502-3907
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge

Sal M. Onella March 25th 07 06:25 AM

Buck wrote:
If both were the same, I think he would be better off, but it should
turn into a rotatable dipole similar to a multiband beam, but without
the directors and reflectors. I see there is no reason it shouldn't
work once he gets them tuned.

How much would it weigh?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Yeah I thought about that too after my inital post. It would be a bear to
make a rotateable dipole using this if its anything like my old trap
vertical.

I hadn't bargained on rotating it, although that's not out of the question.
I think those verticals are about 20 pounds each, so it would be a project.
I will weigh them tomorrow. I do have a rotator thrust bearing that I once
used with a monster VHF TV antenna.

The Hustler four band (10, 15, 20 , 40) is 35 feet tall. The other antenna
is a five-band, but I don't have the specs here at hand. It's presumably
the same, unless they got 80 with some folding tricks, in which case I don't
know how tall it would be.

Depending on where I would put a rotating 70-foot horizontal antenna, I'm
sure I could either prune my neighbor's tree or make contact with the power
company, via their overhead lines. Did I mention I am on a city street with
a 100 x 100 lot? Hm-m-m -- better not rotate.

Sal M. Onella March 25th 07 06:30 AM

wrote in message ...

I have two multiband trap verticals They are not exactly the same, but
close. Obviously they're intended to be mounted vertically above a

ground.
What happens if I mount them horizontally, base-to base? If I feed one

with
....[snip]....

I've done it with pairs of identical "hamsticks" (not multiband, but
quick-disconnects made it relatively easy to change bands), coax fed,
and mounted (horizontally, pointed fore and aft, of course!-) about
two feet above the cab of my pickup. It made a GREAT NVIS HF antenna!

--
--Myron A. Calhoun; W0PBV;

Thanks. I don't own any of them, yet, but it sounds like a possibility.
I'm probably going to want DX, though, so NVIS isn't something that I'm
seeking. If I'm horizontal, I'll want some elevation.

"Sal"

Jimmie D March 25th 07 07:47 AM

Buck wrote:
[...]

Make sure your antenna is OK before you try this a lot of those old Hustlers
are good for scrap.

Owen Duffy March 25th 07 09:23 AM

Nutty Antenna Idea -- Complete with Rhetorical Questions

"Sal M. Onella" wrote in
:

I have two multiband trap verticals They are not exactly the same,
but close. Obviously they're intended to be mounted vertically above
a ground.

What happens if I mount them horizontally, base-to base? If I feed
one with coax as designed, would it see the other one as a
counterpoise? Could I remove any base matching components and feed
them both with a 1:1 balun, in effect duplicating the function of a
horizontal wire trap dipole?

Will water drain from the traps in their new configuration?

Owen