Old March 29th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default LPDA TV antenna

a new neighbor moved in today and deposited his LPDA TV antenna in the
trash. It is one of the big ones, about 12 ft long elements tilted toward
the front with a preamp box, No UHF yagi or corner reflector on the front. I
have heard these are good on the UHF/VHF ham bands, any info would be
appreciated.

Jimmie

Old March 29th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jimmie D" wrote in message
a new neighbor moved in today and deposited his LPDA TV antenna in the
trash. It is one of the big ones, about 12 ft long elements tilted toward
the front with a preamp box, No UHF yagi or corner reflector on the front.

have heard these are good on the UHF/VHF ham bands, any info would be
appreciated.

Generally these cover two frequency ranges, 54 - 88 MHz and
172 - 216 MHz, These are Channels 2 -6 and 7 - 13, respectively.
Alternatively, your "find" might cover 54 - 108 and 172 - 216,
thereby adding the FM band.

I would not count on getting a good match on any ham bands,
except perhaps 6m. These are 300 ohm nominal impedance,
so you'd need to feed it with 75 ohm cable and a 4:1 balun or
find/make a 6:1 balun to use 50- ohm cable.

All is not lost. Remember that the analog TV cutoff is only
22 months away and you might just want a good VHF antenna
for digital. I'm getting digital TV over the air now and it's wonderful.

RELATED: The elements off an old TV antenna often make
suitable elements for home-brew antennas for 2m & 440.
The quality of the result depends on the extent to which you
can remount them skillfully on a new boom after you cut them
to size. My usual technique -- masking tape -- has yet to win
me any major awards!

Old March 29th 07, 11:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Sal M. Onella" wrote in message

"Jimmie D" wrote in message
[...]

the lpda antennas dont usually have a gap in there coverage and I have heard
of people using them but dont know how well they worked. I am going to try
it anyway but was hoping I could get some info before I started.

Old March 30th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jimmie D" wrote in message

the lpda antennas dont usually have a gap in there coverage and I have

heard
of people using them but dont know how well they worked. I am going to try
it anyway but was hoping I could get some info before I started.

I understand and I may have misled you. I think I recall seeing what you
describe. Good luck with the experiment.

Single Wire Antenna {Longwire / Random Wire Antenna} - What To Use : Antenna Tuner? and/or Pre-Selector? David Shortwave 0 December 28th 05 05:24 AM
Single Wire Antenna {Longwire / Random Wire Antenna} - What To Use : Antenna Tuner? and/or Pre-Selector? David Shortwave 3 December 27th 05 09:59 PM
Single Wire Antenna {Longwire / Random Wire Antenna} - What To Use : Antenna Tuner? and/or Pre-Selector? David Shortwave 0 December 27th 05 09:18 PM
LPDA Question Ai de hua Scanner 1 March 13th 04 01:54 PM
Create LPDA vs. KMA LPDA Ai de hua Scanner 1 January 25th 04 05:11 AM