Old April 5th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Convert reflection coefficient to Z

OK, I used to be able to do this years ago, but I can't seem to find the
right references now.

If an antenna reflection coefficient is measured at, for example. 0.333
at -100 degrees, how is Z calculated? I think I can do this with a smith
chart, but the result does not match my attempted calculations.

TIA
Wayne

Old April 5th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 01:50:52 GMT, "Wayne" wrote:

OK, I used to be able to do this years ago, but I can't seem to find the
right references now.

If an antenna reflection coefficient is measured at, for example. 0.333
at -100 degrees, how is Z calculated? I think I can do this with a smith
chart, but the result does not match my attempted calculations.

TIA
Wayne

Hello Wayne,

The first reference I can give you is in "Theory and Problems of Transmission Lines," by Robert Chipman, in
Schaum's Outline Series, Page 128, Eqs. 7.9a and 7.9b.

If you don't have access to Schaum, I'll reconstitute the equations for you in Word, and send them via email.

In addition, I ran across these equations a day or so ago on this NG--I'll try to find them and direct you to
them on this NG.

Walt,W2DU
Old April 5th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Wayne" wrote in

OK, I used to be able to do this years ago, but I can't seem to find
the right references now.

If an antenna reflection coefficient is measured at, for example.
0.333 at -100 degrees, how is Z calculated? I think I can do this
with a smith chart, but the result does not match my attempted
calculations.

TIA
Wayne

The expression for Gamma that springs to mind is (Zl-Zo)/(Zl+Zo).

Rearranging the terms gives Zl=-Zo(Gamma+1)/(Gamma-1) doesn't it?

Owen
Old April 5th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 01:50:52 GMT, "Wayne" wrote:

OK, I used to be able to do this years ago, but I can't seem to find the
right references now.

If an antenna reflection coefficient is measured at, for example. 0.333
at -100 degrees, how is Z calculated? I think I can do this with a smith
chart, but the result does not match my attempted calculations.

TIA
Wayne

Wayne, I just put the pertinent equations into an email addressed to , which I sent.
Is this your correct address? If not, please give me your correct address in an email to me at
.

Walt, W2DU
Old April 5th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Owen Duffy wrote in news:Xns99097DA18D708nonenowhere@
61.9.191.5:

Rearranging the terms gives Zl=-Zo(Gamma+1)/(Gamma-1) doesn't it?

That probably looks better written as Zl=Zo(1+Gamma)/(1-Gamma)

Owen

Old April 5th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 02:21:06 GMT, Owen Duffy wrote:

"Wayne" wrote in

OK, I used to be able to do this years ago, but I can't seem to find
the right references now.

If an antenna reflection coefficient is measured at, for example.
0.333 at -100 degrees, how is Z calculated? I think I can do this
with a smith chart, but the result does not match my attempted
calculations.

TIA
Wayne

The expression for Gamma that springs to mind is (Zl-Zo)/(Zl+Zo).

Rearranging the terms gives Zl=-Zo(Gamma+1)/(Gamma-1) doesn't it?

Owen

Owen, l just now sent Wayne the equations from Chipman, using the eq editor in Word.

In case others would like the equations I'll try to format them here without the Word editor.

R/Zo = (1 - rho squared)/(1 + rho squared - 2 rho cos phi)

X/Zo = (2 rho sin phi)/(1 + rho squared - 2 rho cos phi)

Walt, W2DU
Old April 5th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Walter Maxwell wrote in
:

[...]

Walt, I take that to use rho to mean to magnitude of the reflection
coefficient Gamma.

My formula appears correct for Gamma, and the answer to Wayne's example
is 36-j27.

There is an uglier formula with tanh terms in it that gives the impedance
at a distance along a line with a given propagation constant... but it is
much more complicated to calculate than my expression when the distance
is zero.

Owen
Old April 5th 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Walter Maxwell wrote in
:

R/Zo = (1 - rho squared)/(1 + rho squared - 2 rho cos phi)

X/Zo = (2 rho sin phi)/(1 + rho squared - 2 rho cos phi)

These appear to depend on Zo=Ro to be correct, perhaps they would be more
correctly expressed using Ro instead of Zo.

Owen
Old April 5th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Owen and Walt--
Thanks for the info. Now things are working out right.
--Wayne

"Owen Duffy" wrote in message
Walter Maxwell wrote in
: