Old April 5th 07, 11:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 4nec2 advice sought...

Greetings to one and all,

Hopefully someone will be able to advise me on the following, being very
new to NEC modelling I've hit a stumbling block.

As part of my Masters dissertation (In RF Engineering) I am working on
developing an N element antenna array in the V/UHF area of the spectrum
for a field system (non-amateur). It's nothing that's not really been
done before, but I'm taking the practical 'ham' approach to it. Anyway
this is only background to my question, and is not really too relevant.

I decided to have a go with some modelling software before actually
building an array ad testing it. It just so happens that I had installed
4nec2 many moons ago though I'd never used it. For some reason I had it
in my head that modelling an antenna was difficult. Well I'm sure it
takes a lot of thought to do a complex model, and the simple models I've
done so far have been quite a learning curve, but a fun one at that.

Anyway, I have modelled what is essentially a 4-square above ground and
so on, which is fine. The next stage was to make the array out of
dipoles. This went fine when modelling in free space, centring around
z=0. I get lovely 3D plots etc, wonderful!

Now I want to model this dipole arrangement as if it was mounted on a
tower, i.e. not at z=0. So I move all the elements up to the correct
height and add in a real earth (which adds itself at z=0). That much is
fine. When I then run the model the radiation plots are still all
centred on z=0.

Now, logic says to me that the radiation should be coming from the
driven antenna elements rather than a point on the ground beneath them.

Am I missing something really simple here?

Many thanks in advance. :-)

--
73, Iain M0PCB/AD5XI
Old April 5th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hi Iain

You are displaying the far field radiation pattern, not the close-up
energy density...

ie the antenna and height above ground is very small compared to the
radiation pattern being displayed.

Cheers Bob

Old April 5th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bob Bob wrote:
Hi Iain

You are displaying the far field radiation pattern, not the close-up
energy density...

ie the antenna and height above ground is very small compared to the
radiation pattern being displayed.

Cheers Bob

Aha, so it's just a matter of scale in the plot then? That's what was
confusing me. My mind was looking to directly compare the 3D pattern
generated with the antenna structure. It makes a bit more sense now.

Cheers,

--
73, Iain M0PCB/AD5XI