Old April 22nd 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default HF vertical

Have recently rcvd a very old HF vertical antenna. It has 4 traps of
various lengths and overall lenth is about 30-33 feet total. Cannot
figure out what brand it is. Donor has no clue. It also has rings on
several separators for guy lines. I thought it was an old Hygain, but
nothing in their current catalog looks like it. Best guess is that
this antenna is about 35-40 yrs old and even wonder if it's worth the
effort to try to assemble as it is in parts and there were no
instructions. Found out from donor that it was only used as a
listener, i.e. never was transmitted on... Making me even more
suspicious of its reliability to use!
Any one with any ideas/thoughts---would be greatly appreciated!!

Old April 23rd 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 21 Apr 2007 19:51:04 -0700, Paul Bailey
wrote:

Have recently rcvd a very old HF vertical antenna. It has 4 traps of
various lengths and overall lenth is about 30-33 feet total. Cannot
figure out what brand it is. Donor has no clue. It also has rings on
several separators for guy lines. I thought it was an old Hygain, but
nothing in their current catalog looks like it. Best guess is that
this antenna is about 35-40 yrs old and even wonder if it's worth the
effort to try to assemble as it is in parts and there were no
instructions. Found out from donor that it was only used as a
listener, i.e. never was transmitted on... Making me even more
suspicious of its reliability to use!
Any one with any ideas/thoughts---would be greatly appreciated!!

Chances are it is 40-80 meters. First set it up with the smallest
trap near bottom and have them get larger as they go up, if you
haven't done so already.

Then test for 10 meters. If there is a decent match, fine tune it by
adjusting the lower trap up or down until it is good. Next, 15
meters, then 20 meters, then 40 meters with the top of the pole.

As someone else said, you may get luck with the first shot.

Buck
N4PGW

--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGW

The Long and Thin Vertical Loop Antenna. [ The Non-Resonance Vertical with a Difference ] RHF Shortwave 0 December 27th 05 06:03 PM
30/20 vertical? [email protected] Antenna 5 December 1st 05 07:01 PM
Vertical 40m~6m /* frank */ Antenna 4 July 1st 04 02:39 AM
1/4 wave vertical vs. loaded vertical Dave Antenna 6 May 26th 04 01:28 AM
WTB-R5 vertical B.Peter Treml-K8PT Swap 0 January 9th 04 01:11 AM