RadioBanter

-   -   10m ground wave expectations (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/118607-10m-ground-wave-expectations.html)

P.Gregory April 29th 07 04:31 AM

10m ground wave expectations

Not enough info , who is at 2500 and how high are the inbetween bumps?
seriously its like asking how long do i cook bacon before its cooked....

"Joey" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm trying to determine if I could use 10 meters to contact a station
about 75 miles away with about 2500ft elevation of a couple sets of
hills in between with just simple antennas on either end. Perhaps a
10m dipole on one end and some kind of stealthy one on the other. I
assume this would have to be ground wave only given the distance and
current band conditions.
My parents are both techs so we're currrently limited to parts of 10m
as the lowest band and I'd like to have something reliable without
need repeaters for disaster comms. We actually only have a few single
hop VHF/UHF repeaters between us, though quite a few linked ones.
I've also thought of 6m due to smaller antenna requirements, but I'm
pretty sure this is too far...
Thanks!

art April 29th 07 05:19 AM

On 28 Apr, 09:55, John Smith I wrote:
Joey wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to determine if I could use 10 meters to contact a station
about 75 miles away with about 2500ft elevation of a couple sets of
hills in between with just simple antennas on either end. Perhaps a
10m dipole on one end and some kind of stealthy one on the other. I
assume this would have to be ground wave only given the distance and
current band conditions.
My parents are both techs so we're currrently limited to parts of 10m
as the lowest band and I'd like to have something reliable without
need repeaters for disaster comms. We actually only have a few single
hop VHF/UHF repeaters between us, though quite a few linked ones.
I've also thought of 6m due to smaller antenna requirements, but I'm
pretty sure this is too far...
Thanks!

Just off-hand, I would suspect for reliable and consistent
communications a three element yagi and ~100 watts on each end would
result in enjoyable rag chews ... same for 6m.

Height? More the better.

Seventy-five miles on omni antennas is very chancy, in my humble
opinion. But then, power/height would be the main variables, enough
height and power would certainly help.

Regards,
JS

Hmmmm. I would think that going to a frequency such as 144 MHz would
be the way to go as radiation would tend to hug the earths
surface.With 28 MHz the height factor not only be impracticable (point
to point) but no amount of extra power is going to lower the TOA. When
my son was in a hospital over 100 miles away he used his hand held to
a local repeater and I used 10 watts with a directional antenna to the
distant repeater with intervening land less than 100 foot elevation
variance. Contact was always assured.
Art

Sal M. Onella April 29th 07 06:08 AM

"Joey" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm trying to determine if I could use 10 meters to contact a station
about 75 miles away with about 2500ft elevation of a couple sets of
hills in between with just simple antennas on either end. Perhaps a
10m dipole on one end and some kind of stealthy one on the other. I
assume this would have to be ground wave only given the distance and
current band conditions.
My parents are both techs so we're currrently limited to parts of 10m
as the lowest band and I'd like to have something reliable without
need repeaters for disaster comms. We actually only have a few single
hop VHF/UHF repeaters between us, though quite a few linked ones.
I've also thought of 6m due to smaller antenna requirements, but I'm
pretty sure this is too far...
Thanks!

I have been on 10m myself lately, having just upgraded. I find it nearly
worthless for anything over fifteen miles. Without skip, you need an
elevated antenna, high ERP or both. 75 miles is inside the skip zone; that
is, if 10 were going to skip, it is still overhead at 75 miles and is going
to come down farther away.

Sure, investigate NVIS, but I think it needs a particular anntenna at *both*
ends.

If you're not committed to 10m, I would recommend 2m, since at least one end
can have a high gain antenna. I use a 13-element yagi for 2m at Field Day
and I routinely work dozens of stations 75 miles away (or more). We are in
southern San Diego County and I work Los Angeles all day and night on 35w
with the yagi at 20 feet. 2m is almost noise-free, too, both with respect
to QRM and to receiver noise in FM mode.

73

John Smith I April 29th 07 06:09 AM

art wrote:

Hmmmm. I would think that going to a frequency such as 144 MHz would
be the way to go as radiation would tend to hug the earths
surface.With 28 MHz the height factor not only be impracticable (point
to point) but no amount of extra power is going to lower the TOA. When
my son was in a hospital over 100 miles away he used his hand held to
a local repeater and I used 10 watts with a directional antenna to the
distant repeater with intervening land less than 100 foot elevation
variance. Contact was always assured.
Art

A couple of decades ago on 10 meters with a 3 element yagi and 100
watts, I frequently chatted with a grass valley station from a location
in calaveras county, a distance of over 75 miles as the crow flies (also
made a few contacts in San Francisco.) Antenna was 35 ft in the air and
the other guy in grass valley had a similar setup.

You never know, 'ya just never know ... but with two omni antennas, I
doubt it would have been done.

Now australia with an omni and a 100 watts? No problem with good sun spots!

JS

John Smith I April 29th 07 06:19 AM

10m ground wave expectations

art wrote:

[...]

By the way, antennas never intimidated me much ...

The stacked 6 element hygain or mosley (modified CB antenna) on a 100
ft. tower with a ham m rotor was a real signal magnet and ionosphere
burner ... I still have that antenna leaning up against a shed in the
back 40 ...

Only real problem with that antenna was forgetting to face it into the
high winds in a storm and ripping the gears in the rotor.

Regards,
JS

John Ferrell April 29th 07 02:51 PM

[...]

I have always been amazed with the 10m band. I usually have a look see
there before I go to any other band. Lately, I have had no luck. I
recall that a long time ago I worked an Italian station on 10 who was
on a holiday at the beach. He was using a quarter wave whip stuck in
the sand on the beach and 10 watts. He sounded like a local to me in
Ohio.

Sometimes an opening comes and goes like a summer breeze...
Sometimes the band is open and nobody knows until someone calls CQ!

John Ferrell W8CCW
"Life is easier if you learn to
plow around the stumps"

Jimmie D April 29th 07 05:24 PM

"John Ferrell" wrote in message

[...]

A very good description of 10 meters, I talked ro North Dakota from Florida
and thought the band was dead it was so quiet. I heard someone talking and
thought they were local at first. 10 M is a fun band.

Jimmie

Joey[_2_] April 30th 07 05:45 AM

10m ground wave expectations

There are actually very few repeaters that one can use handheld
between here and there... D'oh! I can use the big antenna on the
house here and hit quite a few more tho. Plenty of linked 440 systems
tho...

Joey

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:14:44 -0500, (Richard
Harrison) wrote:

Joey wrote:
"My parents are both techs so we`re currently limited to parts of 10m as
the lowest band and I`d like to have something available without
needing repeaters for disaster comms."

I`d like a million dollars too!

75 miles is reliably unlikely without a line of sight path between
radios at VHF unless expensive techniques are used.

A repeater located between the radios makes success much more likely.
Examine the ARRL "Repeater Directory" and borrow a hand-held (likely for
2-meters) and see which repeaters you can call up from both ends of the
path you would like to work. You will probably find you are in-business
but not for profit as it is amateur radio. For back up in emergencies,
you can use your cell phone or a wired phone.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Joey[_2_] April 30th 07 05:50 AM

10m ground wave expectations

The local station here is at 1500 ft + 35ft hi gain vertical at 50W,
with a 2200ft ridge less than 5 miles away... back down to probably
1500 ft until... About 60 miles from here is the tallish 3500ish ft.
mountains and then its down basically to sea level for the remainder.
This does seem to produce a rather sharp angle at the both ends. So
much so that I have trouble hitting the 3500ft repeaters from here
without going up to the big antenna. I do remember hitting some
repeater off to the side of the direct path about 10 years ago with
just a handheld and some gainy portable antenna (don't even remember
which one)... but haven't been able to find it since! Doh!

I'll probably end up just finding some 2m stuff to work. We have a
few linked 440 systems (California) too...

Joey

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:40:51 -0500, Tom Ring
wrote:

Joey wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to determine if I could use 10 meters to contact a station
about 75 miles away with about 2500ft elevation of a couple sets of
hills in between with just simple antennas on either end. Perhaps a
10m dipole on one end and some kind of stealthy one on the other. I
assume this would have to be ground wave only given the distance and
current band conditions.
My parents are both techs so we're currrently limited to parts of 10m
as the lowest band and I'd like to have something reliable without
need repeaters for disaster comms. We actually only have a few single
hop VHF/UHF repeaters between us, though quite a few linked ones.
I've also thought of 6m due to smaller antenna requirements, but I'm
pretty sure this is too far...
Thanks!

2m SSB or CW with modest power and antennas have a great chance of doing
what you wish.

A better description of the terrain would help.

2500 above mean average terrain? (I doubt that but have to ask)

A couple of hills. Sharp ridges? Above the line of sight?

Probably still quite doable. I used to work from Potsdam NY to
Plattsburgh NY (and a good chunk of Vermont) virtually every evening on
144.200 with a 12 foot yagi at 25 feet on my end, a 17 foot on the
other, using about 60 watts, and the Tug Hill Plateau and a couple small
mountains in the way.

2m "weak signal" is an often overlooked mode for 60 to 150 miles that is
very reliable for point to point.

tom
K0TAR

Joey[_2_] April 30th 07 06:00 AM

10m ground wave expectations

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 05:38:38 GMT, Owen Duffy wrote:

Joey wrote in news:dd64339h0kluu9d5kqu0tff6h9r6nmpbdl@
4ax.com:

Hi,
I'm trying to determine if I could use 10 meters to contact a station
about 75 miles away with about 2500ft elevation of a couple sets of
hills in between with just simple antennas on either end. Perhaps a
10m dipole on one end and some kind of stealthy one on the other. I
assume this would have to be ground wave only given the distance and
current band conditions.
My parents are both techs so we're currrently limited to parts of 10m
as the lowest band and I'd like to have something reliable without
need repeaters for disaster comms. We actually only have a few single
hop VHF/UHF repeaters between us, though quite a few linked ones.
I've also thought of 6m due to smaller antenna requirements, but I'm
pretty sure this is too far...
Thanks!

Joey,

You have given a lot of information, and yet too little.

The distance you nominate can be a challenge, yet routinely possible on
frequencies from 28MHz to 440MHz, depending....

My thoughts are that simplex contacts will be unlikely without effective
outside antennas, though not necessarily directional antennas, but they
would help.

You note you may have access to several repeaters, than can certainly
equalise bad locations or impossible paths (eg granite), but then you
might not want to conduct family chat on repeaters (though that is they
way they seem to have gone here since many of our new six hour hams with
their shack on their belt seem to be family members). An FM repeater in a
very good location may support contacts reliably out to 150+km for each
station, depending...

Another possibility might be using IRLP build a path.

To give you an example, I can work the 2m repeater at Mt Ginini
(exceptional site) from the car on my driveway here at Narooma, 155km (~
95mi) over mountains etc (but we don't have real mountains here do we?),
it would be easier with a 5dB gain omni on the house.

I could use a handheld to make the trip to a repeater 90km (~56mi) away
and use IRLP to anywhere in the world (if I liked IRLP). Then by
contrast, there would be places where you couldn't work a repeater 10km
away with a handheld.

So, it may be that a path via a VHF or UHF repeater might be more viable
than 10m.

Perhaps some experimentation is in order, that is what ham radio was
about once.

Owen

It sounds like I pictured 10 meters as a lot lower that it really
is... Sounds like it's really VHF-like during low cycles .. I'll
probably go back to 2 or 440 and mess around tho there only a couple
repeaters on 2m but a bunch on 440 that are linked.

I am going to try to get at least my dad to upgrade to General tho. I
think he'd like to have something long distance while camping, and HF
is of course perfect for that :)

Yes, back to experimentation!!