RadioBanter

-   -   10m ground wave expectations (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/118607-10m-ground-wave-expectations.html)

Joey[_2_] April 30th 07 06:05 AM

10m ground wave expectations

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 22:08:11 -0700, "Sal M. Onella"
wrote:

"Joey" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,
I'm trying to determine if I could use 10 meters to contact a station
about 75 miles away with about 2500ft elevation of a couple sets of
hills in between with just simple antennas on either end. Perhaps a
10m dipole on one end and some kind of stealthy one on the other. I
assume this would have to be ground wave only given the distance and
current band conditions.
My parents are both techs so we're currrently limited to parts of 10m
as the lowest band and I'd like to have something reliable without
need repeaters for disaster comms. We actually only have a few single
hop VHF/UHF repeaters between us, though quite a few linked ones.
I've also thought of 6m due to smaller antenna requirements, but I'm
pretty sure this is too far...
Thanks!

I have been on 10m myself lately, having just upgraded. I find it nearly
worthless for anything over fifteen miles. Without skip, you need an
elevated antenna, high ERP or both. 75 miles is inside the skip zone; that
is, if 10 were going to skip, it is still overhead at 75 miles and is going
to come down farther away.

Sure, investigate NVIS, but I think it needs a particular anntenna at *both*
ends.

If you're not committed to 10m, I would recommend 2m, since at least one end
can have a high gain antenna. I use a 13-element yagi for 2m at Field Day
and I routinely work dozens of stations 75 miles away (or more). We are in
southern San Diego County and I work Los Angeles all day and night on 35w
with the yagi at 20 feet. 2m is almost noise-free, too, both with respect
to QRM and to receiver noise in FM mode.

73

ts o
Thanks for all who've responded... Good info!!.

The path I'm lookin for is Oceanside to Redlands, similar to San Diego
to LA, but we have the OC mountains in between... as well as those by
moreno valley...

Time to play with what I have....

Joey