RadioBanter

-   -   3 antennas modeled with EZNEC (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1191-3-antennas-modeled-eznec.html)

Cecil Moore February 6th 04 03:36 AM

3 antennas modeled with EZNEC

Thanks to Wes, n7ws, I found out how easy it is to model a helical coil
with EZNEC. The following three antennas were modeled using the same
coil, 4.5 turns, 12 inch diameter, 10.8 inches long, using approximately
14 feet of wire. The antennas are similar. The frequencies are different
to illustrate three different arguments. EZNEC zero-impedance loads were
placed directly below and directly above the coil to ascertain the currents.
The accompanying .ez files can be downloaded and run on EZNEC if desired.

1. The first antenna is a simple center-loaded 1/4WL monopole. The
lengths of wire above and below the coil are approximately the same
as the length of wire used in the coil. This one illustrates the
current taper through the loading coil. Calculations indicate that
the coil occupies approximately 20% of the electrical length of the
antenna.

http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/octcoil1.gif
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/octcoil1.ez

2. The second antenna is electrically 3/4 wavelength long. This one
illustrates how the current at the top of the loading coil can be
greater than the current at the bottom of the loading coil.

http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/octcoil2.gif
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/octcoil2.ez

3. The third antenna illustrates the phase-reversing coil described
by Kraus in _Antennas_For_All_Applications_, 3rd edition. It is similar
in concept to the Diamond NR72B when used on 70 cm. The current at the
bottom of the coil is 180 degrees different in phase from the current at
the top of the coil which means - for 1/2 of the RF cycle, current is
flowing into both ends of the coil at the same time. For the other 1/2
cycle, current is flowing out of both ends of the coil at the same time.

http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/octcoil3.gif
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/octcoil3.ez

It appears to me that EZNEC handles the segmented wire coils in a manner
related to the real world.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

W4JLE February 6th 04 03:54 AM

Welcome back from the dark side Cecil...

! =-----

Yuri Blanarovich February 6th 04 03:57 AM

It appears to me that EZNEC handles the segmented wire coils in a manner
related to the real world.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Eggscellent!!!
Thanks for putting up with the flat earth society.

Yuri, C6AYB

Tdonaly February 6th 04 05:21 AM

Cecil wrote,

Thanks to Wes, n7ws, I found out how easy it is to model a helical coil
with EZNEC. The following three antennas were modeled using the same
coil, 4.5 turns, 12 inch diameter, 10.8 inches long, using approximately
14 feet of wire. The antennas are similar. The frequencies are different
to illustrate three different arguments. EZNEC zero-impedance loads were
placed directly below and directly above the coil to ascertain the currents.
The accompanying .ez files can be downloaded and run on EZNEC if desired.

It certainly is interesting how a person who, only a short time ago was railing

against "the math model," suddenly gets religion when he thinks it agrees with
him. EZNEC not only uses math to reach its conclusions, that's *all* it uses,
plus
a few assumptions about how current is distributed over antenna segments.
Glad you've joined the fold, brother Moore.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Cecil Moore February 6th 04 12:12 PM

Tdonaly wrote:
Cecil wrote,

Thanks to Wes, n7ws, I found out how easy it is to model a helical coil
with EZNEC. The following three antennas were modeled using the same
coil, 4.5 turns, 12 inch diameter, 10.8 inches long, using approximately
14 feet of wire. The antennas are similar. The frequencies are different
to illustrate three different arguments. EZNEC zero-impedance loads were
placed directly below and directly above the coil to ascertain the currents.
The accompanying .ez files can be downloaded and run on EZNEC if desired.

It certainly is interesting how a person who, only a short time ago was railing
against "the math model," suddenly gets religion when he thinks it agrees with
him.

It is certainly interesting that you choose to mount an ad hominem attack
instead of providing an iota of technical content.

I do not rail against all math models, just the ones that don't match
reality. I require my math models to give the correct answer. Others
obviously have lower standards for math models than I do.

One rock plus one rock equals two rocks is a math model with which I
fully agree. Coils with zero capacitance is a math model with which
I disagree.

Now please tell us why lumped inductive reactances don't agree with
wire segment coils, stubs, or reality.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Clark February 6th 04 06:58 PM

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 06:12:43 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:
Now please tell us why lumped inductive reactances don't agree with
wire segment coils, stubs, or reality.

Operator error.

It's like trying to measure Ohms without turning on the meter's
current source. There's a lot of institutionalized ignorance in these
threads.

Cecil Moore February 6th 04 07:32 PM

Richard Clark wrote:

wrote:

Now please tell us why lumped inductive reactances don't agree with
wire segment coils, stubs, or reality.

Operator error.

Yep, the error is in the operator's choice of a model
that doesn't match reality.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Richard Clark February 6th 04 07:42 PM

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:32:40 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:
Yep, the error is in the operator's choice of a model
that doesn't match reality.

Institutionalized here for the sake of argument.

Tdonaly February 6th 04 08:24 PM

Cecil wrote,
(snip)

I do not rail against all math models, just the ones that don't match
reality. I require my math models to give the correct answer.

(snip)

That's code. It means "I do not rail against all math models, just the
ones that don't agree with me. I require my math models to give the
answer I've already made up in my head."
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Mark Keith February 6th 04 08:39 PM

Cecil Moore wrote in message

2. The second antenna is electrically 3/4 wavelength long. This one
illustrates how the current at the top of the loading coil can be
greater than the current at the bottom of the loading coil.

http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/octcoil2.gif
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/octcoil2.ez

Why the 3/4 wave example? This is NOT what I had in mind. What I would
like to see, is you take a 8 ft mobile whip for 80m. Start with a
center load. Note the current taper. Then place the coil below the
midpoint level. Note the current taper. Then place the coil above the
midpoint level. Note the current taper.
You should be able to find a configuration that provides max current
at the top of the coil, if what you claim is true. I want to see max
current at the top of the coil in the SHORT loaded 8ft mobile whip for
80m. Not a funky overly tall 3/4 wave antenna. I'd try it myself, but
I only have the demo of eznec and don't have the segment capability.
Then if you can see this happen in the model, I'd like to see it
confirmed in the real world. If this occurs, then I might start to
think what you claim holds some water. I'll reserve further comment
until you can try this simple test. MK

Cecil Moore February 6th 04 08:56 PM

Tdonaly wrote:
That's code. It means "I do not rail against all math models, just the
ones that don't agree with me. I require my math models to give the
answer I've already made up in my head."

No, I require a math model of a coil that agrees with Roy's and
Tom's measurements. A lumped inductive reactance doesn't do
that. My math models are dictated by reality. Therefore, I
live in the real world and you live in a world created and
dictated by your math models. I prefer my world. You obviously
prefer yours.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore February 6th 04 09:03 PM

Mark Keith wrote:
Why the 3/4 wave example?

In order to illustrate higher current at the top of the coil than
at the bottom, of course.

You should be able to find a configuration that provides max current
at the top of the coil, if what you claim is true.

I just did in the 3/4WL example. One cannot get higher current at
the top of the coil in a 1/4WL electrically long antenna. For a
1/4WL antenna, the maximum current is at the feedpoint and tapers
down to the tip.

I want to see max current at the top of the coil in the SHORT
loaded 8ft mobile whip for 80m.

Well, good luck on that one. I think it's impossible. Blood out
of a turnip comes to mind. If you think I ever said or implied
that I could do that, you are as mistaken as you can possibly be.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Mark Keith February 7th 04 12:33 AM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Mark Keith wrote:
Why the 3/4 wave example?

In order to illustrate higher current at the top of the coil than
at the bottom, of course.

You should be able to find a configuration that provides max current
at the top of the coil, if what you claim is true.

I just did in the 3/4WL example. One cannot get higher current at
the top of the coil in a 1/4WL electrically long antenna. For a
1/4WL antenna, the maximum current is at the feedpoint and tapers
down to the tip.

uh huh.....

I want to see max current at the top of the coil in the SHORT
loaded 8ft mobile whip for 80m.

Well, good luck on that one. I think it's impossible. Blood out
of a turnip comes to mind. If you think I ever said or implied
that I could do that, you are as mistaken as you can possibly be.

What has all this been about? Bugcatchers and other short loaded mobile
antennas. All shorter than 1/4 wave.
Good grief....I rest my case.
My theory? I still think the current across the coil is *fairly*
constant.
I'm *still* of the opinion that the *apparent* radical taper across the
coil is more due to the presence of the capacitance above the coil. I
think Roy described this in more accurate terms, but I have to reread
the thread.
I'm *still* of the opinion that if you could measure the current INSIDE
the windings of the coil, a couple or three turns in from each end, you
would not see near the difference you all do. I do think it's quite
normal to have a slight taper, as you would with any other radiator that
is shorter than 1/4 wave. So what? But these are just my gut instincts
using my built in BS filter. I'm absolutely certain than any error in
modeling a short mobile antenna using lumped coils is not worth worrying
about. This was the main gist of the argument by Yuri. It was the bottom
line. He claimed we were modeling in fairly gross error due to this new
found revelation of coil current taper. He promised a new revelation in
coil positioning that would turn the mobile antenna world on it's head.
Or at least the hype seemed to imply this. But I'm afraid many beat him
to it years ago. As far as phasing coils, yep, you might have an issue
there. But it appears you may have been enlightened to a workaround even
in that case. Isn't life grand? MK
--
http://web.wt.net/~nm5k

Richard Clark February 7th 04 01:37 AM

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 18:33:24 -0600, Mark Keith wrote:

I'm absolutely certain than any error in
modeling a short mobile antenna using lumped coils is not worth worrying
about.

That has been shown several times - unless your skin crawls with
differences of 0.5dB

This was the main gist of the argument by Yuri. It was the bottom
line. He claimed we were modeling in fairly gross error due to this new
found revelation of coil current taper.

And that pilot's error was addressed before the soap opera began.

He promised a new revelation in
coil positioning that would turn the mobile antenna world on it's head.

Umm yes. The excuse is snow, but given the tapering heat wave
reports, the coils should clear that away in half an hour. Patents
pending!!! - any further discussion constitutes a violation of
Intellectual Property rights subject to suit (40R w/2 pair of pants).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Cecil Moore February 7th 04 01:49 AM

Mark Keith wrote:
I'm *still* of the opinion that if you could measure the current INSIDE
the windings of the coil, a couple or three turns in from each end, you
would not see near the difference you all do.

Wes's and my modeling show a smooth current taper through the coil.
Here's the taper predicted by EZNEC through the coil for octcoil1.ez

http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/taper1.gif

I do think it's quite normal to have a slight taper, ....

Then you disagree with the guys who say it has no taper. Guess what,
Mark? That puts you on my and Yuri's side of the argument.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Tdonaly February 7th 04 02:59 AM

Cecil wrote,

Mark Keith wrote:
I'm *still* of the opinion that if you could measure the current INSIDE
the windings of the coil, a couple or three turns in from each end, you
would not see near the difference you all do.

Wes's and my modeling show a smooth current taper through the coil.
Here's the taper predicted by EZNEC through the coil for octcoil1.ez

http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/taper1.gif

I do think it's quite normal to have a slight taper, ....

Then you disagree with the guys who say it has no taper. Guess what,
Mark? That puts you on my and Yuri's side of the argument.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

This is an order of magnitude error. In the thirteenth century, the
scholastics would tell their pupils that, since the earth is a ball,
if you build two buildings side by side and use a plumb line to build
each one, the buildings will be farther apart at the top than at the bottom.
Also, if you have a swimming pool with a perfectly flat bottom, the
center will be deeper than the sides because it's closer to the center
of the earth.
No normal people paid any attention to these fellows. The scholastics never
specified
what things meant in terms of real numbers. Cecil says there's a taper but he
doesn't
attempt to say how much. Yuri thinks it's a lot. Cecil seems to agree
with him, but neither fellow has been willing to back his theory with a
$$$$ NEW $$$ [{### IMPROVED ###}] mobile antenna. I think any
rational observer would have to conclude that if Yuri and Cecil are right,
they're only right in the 13th cent. scholastic sense, and that their whole
argument doesn't amount to a hill of beans.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Yuri Blanarovich February 7th 04 03:46 AM

Tom Donaly, KA6RUH:

The scholastics never
specified
what things meant in terms of real numbers. Cecil says there's a taper but he
doesn't
attempt to say how much. Yuri thinks it's a lot. Cecil seems to agree
with him, but neither fellow has been willing to back his theory with a
$$$$ NEW $$$ [{### IMPROVED ###}] mobile antenna.

Go to www.K3BU.us and look at the article, measurements and pictures.
http://www.k3bu.us/loadingcoils.htm

Cecil explained what's happening, shined some light on it and the work is in
progress to enlighten the flat earth society.
It is not "our theory", it is reality that was described before us by Kraus,
ON4UN and others.

I used the knowledge to design more efficient mobile antenna for 160.

If you understand the current distribution along the loaded antenna, then you
can maximize it for better efficiency (roughly proportional to the area under
the current curve).

Stand by.

Yuri, K3BU.us

Cecil Moore February 7th 04 03:48 AM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
It is not "our theory", it is reality that was described before us by Kraus,
ON4UN and others.

And demonstrated through actual measurements made by W7EL and W8JI.
It's hard to believe anyone rejects those measurements.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Clark February 7th 04 04:10 AM

On 07 Feb 2004 03:46:51 GMT, oUsama (Yuri Blanarovich)
wrote:
I used the knowledge to design more efficient mobile antenna for 160.

What design did you start with and at what efficiency?

What design did you end up with and at what efficiency?

If you understand the current distribution along the loaded antenna, then you
can maximize it for better efficiency (roughly proportional to the area under
the current curve).

What was the improvement in efficiency?

Hi Yuri,

Marketing claims are cheap and I need only pick up a copy of People
Magazine off the newsstand to read them for free.

I've already played the game through modeling using the exact methods
described at your page. Results were less than 1dB; average
difference ran towards 0.5dB. Since that time, the argument has
bloomed to include coils the size of a cadillac on 3/4 wavelength
structures to no greater efficiency gained. I've also seen this
described in terms of half cycles of instantaneous variable phase
*net* current moving in opposite directions through a resistor!
Heating and cooling? ;-)

So, what gets responded to, the efficiency or Cecil's goofball claims?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Cecil Moore February 7th 04 04:18 AM

Richard Clark wrote:
So, what gets responded to, the efficiency or Cecil's goofball claims?

Install a one ohm resistor at a current loop. Observe the voltage across
it as a sine wave. Are you saying that the voltage across that one ohm
resistor is not proportional to the current in magnitude with the same
phase? The current is positive for 1/2 cycle and negative for 1/2 cycle.
The sign denotes the direction of current travel in the wire. Have you
used the DC model on AC circuits for so long that you have forgotten
that AC current reverses direction every 1/2 cycle?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Clark February 7th 04 05:16 AM

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 22:18:26 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Richard Clark wrote:
So, what gets responded to, the efficiency or Cecil's goofball claims?

Classic example:
Install a one ohm resistor at a current loop.

Wes Stewart February 7th 04 07:44 AM

On 07 Feb 2004 02:59:54 GMT, (Tdonaly) wrote:

[snip]

| This is an order of magnitude error. In the thirteenth century, the
|scholastics would tell their pupils that, since the earth is a ball,
|if you build two buildings side by side and use a plumb line to build
|each one, the buildings will be farther apart at the top than at the bottom.
|Also, if you have a swimming pool with a perfectly flat bottom, the
|center will be deeper than the sides because it's closer to the center
|of the earth.

When the Central Arizona Project canal was built they drilled a few
tunnels through mountains. They actually bored the holes with a
slight arch to follow the curvature of the Earth.

On the other hand near Apache Junction, AZ, they project the
subsidence that would occur during the 50 year engineered lifetime and
built the canal with higher banks so that when it sinks the correct
volume of water will still flow. If there is any in 50 years.

Sometimes the nits do count, but not in mobile antennas [g].

Wes Stewart February 7th 04 07:47 AM

On 07 Feb 2004 03:46:51 GMT, oUsama (Yuri Blanarovich)
wrote:

[snip]

|I used the knowledge to design more efficient mobile antenna for 160.

So now it's 0.51% efficient instead of only 0.49% right? [g]

Mark Keith February 7th 04 09:23 AM

Cecil Moore wrote in message

I do think it's quite normal to have a slight taper, ....

Then you disagree with the guys who say it has no taper. Guess what,
Mark? That puts you on my and Yuri's side of the argument.

Maybe so, but I place much less importance on this than he does. To
me, it means very little, if anything. It surely will not effect how I
will design mobile antennas. After all, as Wes pointed out on his web
page, the change in radiation resistance is what really improves the
efficiency of a short loaded antenna. Not the current distribution in
itself. The improved current distibution is just a method used to
change the radiation resistance. Taper or no taper, in the usually
short 1 ft or so space a coil would occupy, "1/8 the length of a 8 ft
whip" the difference either way is not worth worrying about. And the
worrysome taper is only in the upper section of the coil, so really
it's less than 1/8 of the total antenna length. Most of the plots I
see are more bow shaped than a gradual taper due to the peak in
current. I'm glad Wes commented on the current peak...This was
something I had seen previously in modeling the antennas/coils a few
weeks ago, and had wondered about..
If we could do away with the high ground losses, we wouldn't need to
elevate the coils, or use hats. That's why often a base load 10-11m
vertical on a large car roof is about as good as a center load. Less
ground loss due to the better psuedo ground plane under the antenna.
MK

Cecil Moore February 7th 04 03:46 PM

wrote:

Richard Clark wrote:
So, what gets responded to, the efficiency or Cecil's goofball claims?

Classic example:

Install a one ohm resistor at a current loop.

In many circuits, a one ohm resistor is a negligible amount of resistance
and allows one to view the current waveform on an o'scope. If you like,
use a toroidal pickup coil to view the current waveform. The current
waveform will look the same either way.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore February 7th 04 04:11 PM

Mark Keith wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote in message
Then you disagree with the guys who say it has no taper. Guess what,
Mark? That puts you on my and Yuri's side of the argument.

Maybe so, but I place much less importance on this than he does.

You may also place less importance on strawberry ice cream than
he does.

To me, it means very little, if anything.

Yuri was accused of "Repeating misleading information". Here is
a typical response to one of Yuri's postings:

"You like to call names, insult people, and argue rather than take
the time to learn basic electronics. ... If you look at HOW an inductor
works, the current flowing in one terminal ALWAYS equals the current
flowing out the other terminal."

Note the word "ALWAYS". The ad hominem attacks upon Yuri is probably
one reason he considers the subject to be important.

Someone probably rejected relativity and said, "How much effect does
the orbit of Mercury have on the people of earth?"
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Clark February 7th 04 04:46 PM

wrote:

Richard Clark wrote:
So, what gets responded to, the efficiency or Cecil's goofball claims?

Classic example:

Install a one ohm resistor at a current loop.

Another Classic goofball example:
In many circuits

Richard Clark February 7th 04 05:27 PM

On 7 Feb 2004 01:23:13 -0800, (Mark Keith) wrote:

[...]

You show that nothing has changed in three months:

Hi Mark,

I offered an EZNEC analysis that supported (circumspectly) Yuri's
position, but he blew it off chasing rainbows. Using the protocol
(already published by Yuri) for emulating a solenoid (and not just the
contentious one point load), that solenoid is found residing on
segments 50 to 59 (spanning 10 inches):
1 W2E1 1 0.00
2 .95623 0.00
3 .9205 0.00
4 .88976 0.00
5 .86122 0.00
6 .83415 0.00
7 .80815 0.00
8 .78296 0.00
9 .75843 0.00
10 .73443 0.00
11 .71088 0.00
12 .68771 0.00
13 .66486 -0.01
14 .64229 -0.01
15 .61997 -0.01
16 .59787 -0.01
17 .57596 -0.01
18 .55421 -0.01
19 .53261 -0.02
20 .51115 -0.02
21 .48979 -0.02
22 .46853 -0.02
23 .44736 -0.02
24 .42627 -0.02
25 .40523 -0.02
26 .38424 -0.02
27 .36329 -0.02
28 .34238 -0.03
29 .32148 -0.03
30 .30059 -0.03
31 .27969 -0.03
32 .25878 -0.03
33 .23785 -0.03
34 .21688 -0.04
35 .19585 -0.04
36 .17477 -0.04
37 .1536 -0.05
38 .13234 -0.05
39 .11095 -0.06
40 .08941 -0.07
41 .06769 -0.08
42 .04576 -0.12
43 .02355 -0.21
44 .001 -4.38
45 .02202 -179.8
46 .04579 180.00
47 .0707 180.00
48 .09404 180.00
49 .11529 180.00
50 .13404 180.00
51 .14984 180.00
52 .16235 180.00
53 .17155 180.00
54 .17718 180.00
55 .17057 180.00
56 .15943 180.00
57 .15069 180.00
58 .1433 180.00
59 .13668 180.00
60 .1306 180.00
61 .12495 180.00
62 .11962 180.00
63 .11457 180.00
64 .10975 180.00
65 .10512 180.00
66 .10066 180.00
67 .09634 180.00
68 .09216 180.00
69 .08809 180.00
70 .08413 180.00
71 .08025 180.00
72 .07646 180.00
73 .07274 180.00
74 .06908 180.00
75 .06549 180.00
76 .06194 180.00
77 .05845 180.00
78 .05499 180.00
79 .05158 180.00
80 .04819 180.00
81 .04484 180.00
82 .0415 180.00
83 .03819 180.00
84 .03488 180.00
85 .03159 180.00
86 .02829 180.00
87 .02499 180.00
88 .02167 180.00
89 .01831 180.00
90 .01491 180.00
91 .01141 180.00
92 .00777 180.00
93 Open .00363 180.00

I will not hesitate to point out that the variation in signal strength
between the point load and the distributed load varied by
one-quarter dB
Which represents ALL the steam in the claim of outrageous losses due
to EZNEC's (pilot error) inability to model correctly.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Yuri Blanarovich February 7th 04 07:47 PM

K3BU:
[snip]

|I used the knowledge to design more efficient mobile antenna for 160.

KB7QHC:
What design did you start with and at what efficiency?

What design did you end up with and at what efficiency?
What was the improvement in efficiency?

N7WS:

So now it's 0.51% efficient instead of only 0.49% right? [g]

Nope, more like going from not getting answers to my calls or CQ (S0 or less
:-) to getting reports from W6, through P4 to Eu of S6 to S9. Even getting hell
from W8JI for wiping out - QRMing the DX window.
You learned heads figure out the efficiency improvement in dBm, uV or dB or S
units. It may not jive with your decimal points, but is OK with me.

In the past Cecil showed some results from mobile antenna shootouts, where
simple change in position of the loading coil can mean dBs or tens of dBs
difference. Might not be reflected in your modeling results, but reality
speaks. Those who built and used the stuff know it. Those who calculate it
"know better"?

This is getting amusing and eye opening how many flat earth society members are
out there. Keep on harping!

KB7QHC:
Marketing claims are cheap and I need only pick up a copy of People Magazine

off the newsstand to read them for free.

I am not marketing nothing (yet), just defending the truth and reality. YMMV

Yuri, K3BU

Richard Clark February 7th 04 08:13 PM

On 07 Feb 2004 19:47:26 GMT, oUsama (Yuri Blanarovich)
wrote:

K3BU:
[snip]

|I used the knowledge to design more efficient mobile antenna for 160.

KB7QHC:
What design did you start with and at what efficiency?

What design did you end up with and at what efficiency?
What was the improvement in efficiency?

N7WS:

So now it's 0.51% efficient instead of only 0.49% right? [g]

Might not be reflected in your modeling results, but reality
speaks.

Hi Yuri,

The long and short of it is that you have absolutely nothing to back
up your assertions of vastly improved efficiency - that's the reality
compared to your testimonials that wouldn't get a vote on American
Idol.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Yuri Blanarovich February 7th 04 08:56 PM

The long and short of it is that you have absolutely nothing to back
up your assertions of vastly improved efficiency - that's the reality
compared to your testimonials that wouldn't get a vote on American
Idol.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

You are right, and you uncovered me. Shocks!
Yep, the real life results mean nothing!
Long live flat earth!

Bring your mobile 160m setup to shootout with mine and let's see your .01 dB
difference.
Can we stick to arguments without ridicule? Or is W8JI disease spreading
around?

I am grateful for the "wisdom" displayed here, for it illustrates the level of
knowledge and experience. I will use it in my article for the benefit of those
who will appreciate it. Some of the jabs will end up looking silly. Again,
Cecil, my hat off to you for your help and patience.

Yuri da BUm

Richard Clark February 7th 04 09:06 PM

On 07 Feb 2004 20:56:12 GMT, oUsama (Yuri Blanarovich)
wrote:

Long live flat earth!

Can we stick to arguments without ridicule?

Hi Yuri,

What are the answers to the technical questions:

Yuri Blanarovich February 7th 04 09:21 PM

What are the answers to the technical questions:
What design did you start with and at what efficiency?

Classical mobile whip with 160m loading coil and whip.

What design did you end up with and at what efficiency?

Improved K3BU design based on knowledge gained from current distribution in a
Details can be obtained against non-disclosure agreement.

What was the improvement in efficiency?

Significant, from S0 to S7 - S9.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

73 Yuri, K3BU/m

Richard Clark February 7th 04 09:44 PM

On 07 Feb 2004 21:21:50 GMT, oUsama (Yuri Blanarovich)
wrote:
Details can be obtained against non-disclosure agreement.

Uh-huh. chip offers the same data and opportunity.

Cecil Moore February 7th 04 11:30 PM

Richard Clark wrote:
I offered an EZNEC analysis that supported (circumspectly) Yuri's
position, but he blew it off chasing rainbows.

Don't know about anybody else, but that posting never appeared on
my news-server. That's the first time I have ever seen it.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore February 7th 04 11:38 PM

Richard Clark wrote:
The long and short of it is that you have absolutely nothing to back
up your assertions of vastly improved efficiency ...

Even it that were true, it wouldn't change the result of the argument
based on W8JI's assertion:

If you look at HOW an inductor works, the current flowing in one
terminal ALWAYS equals the current flowing out the other terminal.

The only question is: Do you support W8JI's position even though his
own measurements proved otherwise?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Clark February 7th 04 11:39 PM

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 17:30:06 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:
I offered an EZNEC analysis that supported (circumspectly) Yuri's
position, but he blew it off chasing rainbows.

Don't know about anybody else, but that posting never appeared on
my news-server. That's the first time I have ever seen it.

You mean you actually read this group?

Richard Clark February 7th 04 11:53 PM

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 17:38:53 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:
Richard Clark wrote:
The long and short of it is that you have absolutely nothing to back
up your assertions of vastly improved efficiency ...

Even it that were true

Even IF

Cecil Moore February 8th 04 12:29 AM

Richard Clark wrote:

wrote:

Richard Clark wrote:
The long and short of it is that you have absolutely nothing to back
up your assertions of vastly improved efficiency ...

Even it that were true

Even IF

Shirley, you understand a conditional statement, Richard. The following
is a logically true statement: "If the moon was made of green cheese,
then a cow could indeed jump over it." May I recommend a good logic
textbook? _Logic_, by Ruby.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp