RadioBanter

-   -   Electron ratio to form a radiation field (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/119122-electron-ratio-form-radiation-field.html)

art May 10th 07 12:55 AM

Electron ratio to form a radiation field

What is the ratio of magnetic electrons emitted from a radiator
compared with
with the number of electrons emmitted due to current flow?
What is the combination ratio required of both types of electrons to
form a radiation field?
Regards
Art

Dave May 10th 07 01:23 AM

Electron ratio to form a radiation field

"art" wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the ratio of magnetic electrons emitted from a radiator
compared with
with the number of electrons emmitted due to current flow?
What is the combination ratio required of both types of electrons to
form a radiation field?
Regards
Art

what is a 'magnetic electron'?? and why would electrons be emmitted due to
current flow?

Cecil Moore[_2_] May 10th 07 01:37 AM

art wrote:
What is the ratio of magnetic electrons emitted from a radiator
compared with with the number of electrons emmitted due to current
flow?

Art, emitted electrons are corona discharges. What is
emitted from an antenna is primarily photons. Each
photon has both electric and magnetic properties
and the ratio is 377 ohms in the far field.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Richard Clark May 10th 07 01:41 AM

Electron ratio to form a radiation field

On Thu, 10 May 2007 00:23:40 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

"art" wrote in message
roups.com...
What is the ratio of magnetic electrons emitted from a radiator
compared with
with the number of electrons emmitted due to current flow?
What is the combination ratio required of both types of electrons to
form a radiation field?
Regards
Art

what is a 'magnetic electron'?? and why would electrons be emmitted due to
current flow?

Hi Dave,

All electrons are magnetic. All electrons flow in current. Electrons
emmitted (sic) would first have to be accelerated by a potential that
exceeds the work function of the metal they inhabit, and then avoid
the resistance to their movement found outside that metal. This is
called induction current.

Emission, except in a vacuum, is considered to be a nuisance as it
causes havoc in the vicinity (such as superheating air to
luminescence). There would be electrons of emission only in the first
few micrometers from the conductor (not sure why that would be of any
particular advantage). Of course, all such terms and their usages are
conventional. Their usage and application in this thread probably
have meanings that deviate wildly from the norms of accepted usage.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

art May 10th 07 03:24 AM

Electron ratio to form a radiation field

On 9 May, 18:49, Cecil Moore wrote:
art wrote:
I am looking for the ratio of particals emitted.

To the best of my knowledge, all coherent photons are
identical.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

If they are all identical how do they manage to avoid combining energy
prior to escaping from the enclosed surface? I noted that you said
both had
electric and magnetic properties but I could not rationaly deduce that
they were the same. You also stated that the electrons were corona
discharges
which is new to me. If this is all basic physics shouldn't everybody
be in agreement with respect to the transition to a magnetic field.
Tom states I have a problem with the basics so if there is uniformity
in the resposes I would be happy to realigne my thoughts but he
supplied no input
of value only a personal opinion.
Regards
Art

art May 10th 07 03:36 AM

On 9 May, 18:44, Tom Ring wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
art wrote:

What is the ratio of magnetic electrons emitted from a radiator
compared with with the number of electrons emmitted due to current

flow?

Art, emitted electrons are corona discharges. What is
emitted from an antenna is primarily photons. Each
photon has both electric and magnetic properties
and the ratio is 377 ohms in the far field.

Art does seem to have some serious problems with basic physics. Not too
surprising.

I guess after that remark he'll now characterize me as a guru. ;)

tom
K0TAR

As you have stated I seem to have serious problems. If that is the
case the remedy is to familiarise myself to what everybody calls basic
physics.
By asking questions I am seaching for a correction to my so called
erronious views. Is that a no no on this newsgroup? Since it is a
matter of basics the thread should be extremely short as there will be
no disagreement !
I could not classify you as a guru if you are not willing to put a rod
into the ground by giving a response that would prove or not prove to
be in agreement with all.
Art

Cecil Moore[_2_] May 10th 07 04:23 AM

art wrote:
I noted that you said both had
electric and magnetic properties but I could not rationaly deduce that
they were the same.

Balanis has a pretty good treatment of the
subject but I don't have that book with me.

You also stated that the electrons were corona discharges
which is new to me.

Instead of becoming energetic enough to leave the
conductor, electrons normally shed their excess
energy in the form of photons.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

art May 10th 07 05:18 AM

On 9 May, 20:23, Cecil Moore wrote:
art wrote:
I noted that you said both had
electric and magnetic properties but I could not rationaly deduce that
they were the same.

Balanis has a pretty good treatment of the
subject but I don't have that book with me.

You also stated that the electrons were corona discharges
which is new to me.

Instead of becoming energetic enough to leave the
conductor, electrons normally shed their excess
energy in the form of photons.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Cecil,
I think that we are all in agreement now on the legitimacy of adding a
time
metric to Gauss's equation unless it was a quirk of luck that two
programs came to agreement. We also know that for a dc current flow we
cannot produce a radiating field because we must have two vectors
created by a time varying field. In other words the particles must be
different in some way
as like particals cannot collide or combine to form a radiative field.
I believe we also know that any combination of particals must occur
after release from the gravitational field and where I could go along
with your corona description
and the interface impedance of 377 ohms. From this analysis the
particles could well have the same properties as you state but of
different polarities which prevents initial collisions or a joining
mechanism. If this conforms with
known basic physics then one should see the importance of the ratio of
emitted particles. If this does not conform to known basic figures I
would like to know why .Then my thinking becomes in conformance with
the elite in this group such that sniping and derision can come to an
end. Gauss gave me the overall picture of the formation of radiation
as a completed jigsaw puzzle picture but I am looking for knoweledge
of the individual connecting parts for a more detailed analysis which
is accepted by those familiar with basic physics
to bring myself inline with those knoweledgable in the arts. All I
need is some answers to my question that evokes agreement from all and
the thread gets closure. If it is basic physics it should not be that
hard for the experts to explain. Cecil you are familiar with the many
aspects of radiation thus you have a great opportunity to supply the
required info that cannot be refuted by others .,So sieze the
opportunity where others are shying away.
Best regards
Art
Art

Richard Harrison May 10th 07 06:18 AM

Art Unwin wrote:
"What is the combination ratio required of both types of electrons to
form a radiation field?"

A company called Tigertek, Inc. answers questions such as this. Art can
search on "amateur radio fact of the day from Tigertek" and their pages
should appear. Click on "Facts of the Day, Software and Forums". Select
"November 26, and see: "Electromagnetic E/H Ratio". Click and find:
"----at a distance of several wavelengths or more from any type of
electromagnetic radiator the ratio of electric to magnetic field
strength (E/H) always becomes equal to approximately 377 ohms, which is
the approximate electromagnetic impedance of space."

Jan 3: Electron Facts

July 29: Does Your Antenna Radiate Particles?
"----Unlike protons and neutrons, photons have zero rest mass. (Albert
Einstein`s special relativity theory predicted that massless particles
travel at the speed of light in a vacuum.) Furthermore, unlike protons
and neutrons which are composed of smaller particles called quarks that
are bound together with massless smaller particles called gluons,
photons (and electrons) are elemental particles that are not composed of
smaller particles. Transmitting antennas do indeed radiate particles."

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Richard Clark May 10th 07 07:13 AM

Electron ratio to form a radiation field

On Thu, 10 May 2007 00:18:25 -0500, (Richard
Harrison) wrote:

"----Unlike protons and neutrons, photons have zero rest mass. (Albert
Einstein`s special relativity theory predicted that massless particles
travel at the speed of light in a vacuum.)

It should be added that "particles" accelerated to the speed of light
(radiation) have infinite mass requiring infinite energy to get them
there.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Jon K疇re Hellan May 10th 07 09:06 AM

Harrison) wrote:

"----Unlike protons and neutrons, photons have zero rest mass. (Albert
Einstein`s special relativity theory predicted that massless particles
travel at the speed of light in a vacuum.)

It should be added that "particles" accelerated to the speed of light
(radiation) have infinite mass requiring infinite energy to get them
there.

Particles with non zero rest mass, that is.

Cecil Moore[_2_] May 10th 07 12:13 PM

art wrote:
Cecil you are familiar with the many
aspects of radiation thus you have a great opportunity to supply the
required info that cannot be refuted by others .,So sieze the
opportunity where others are shying away.

Art, I am moving myself to a new QTH and just don't have the
time. To the best of my present knowledge, all of the coherent
photons are identical.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Denny May 10th 07 12:43 PM

Electron ratio to form a radiation field

Ahhh come on guys, and Art, , get a grip...

Electrons are 'emitted' from the surface of a conductor only under
specific circumstances, such as the Photoelectric Effect, in a direct
electric arc such as an arc welder, off the hot surface of a
filament, off the cathode of an electroplating device, etc.... All of
these are mass events where the departing electrons will in time
change/erode the surface material of the emitter...

Electrons do not normally depart the surface of an RF antenna; local
corona discharge, or mechanical short circuit, or electric arc, being
the main exceptions and are not germain to the intended purpose of
the RF antenna..
The antenna surface is not eroded or mass altered by the long term
emission of electromagetic waves because no electrons are being
launched/emitted off the surface res ipsa loquitor...

OK, now back to the regularily scheduled reruns of Howdy Doody you
can learn a lot from these

denny / k8do

Cecil Moore[_2_] May 10th 07 02:22 PM

Denny wrote:
Electrons are 'emitted' from the surface of a conductor only under
specific circumstances, such as the Photoelectric Effect, in a direct
electric arc such as an arc welder, off the hot surface of a
filament, off the cathode of an electroplating device, etc.... All of
these are mass events where the departing electrons will in time
change/erode the surface material of the emitter...

Is that because the departing electrons leave "holes"
in the conductor atoms? :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

art May 10th 07 02:29 PM

On 10 May, 04:43, Denny wrote:
[...]

Denny, I believe you are correct that what is known as basic physics
does not have universal consensus in this group which is not all that
bad because we are all amateurs.I know that mass is not constant in
itself since it is always self adjusting to maintain equilibrium. It
would also appear that what is emitted is so small and numourous that
it can be seen as a cloud or a field.
I also believe there is some sort of consensus that these two clouds
are still somewhat homogenous after they have escaped from the initial
gravitational forcesi.e merging of these entities is achieved beyond
the arbitary border.
Some have gone off at a tangent by introducing 377 ohms as a ratio
which ofcourse is an impossibility which destoys the credability of
their whole statement. At the back of my mind I was trying to
determine how the makeup of skin depth occurs since at a moment in
time the surface of the conductor is seen as composed entirely of
static particles and what changes occur when the material conducts
since the surface is totally boundduring the radiation process. So Tom
this is a good time to bow out, since once again on this group we have
encountered a situation where actual knoweledge is piece meal at best
and where continuation could only introduce falacies to the subject.
One thing I am assured of is that despite claims offered this is by no
means BASIC physics theory but a collection of fragmentary knoweledge
which could easily evolve in what is termed junk science as the many
opinions merge.
Gentlemen have a great day and try to concentrate on the beginnings
that Gauss has now provided us by the addition of the metric of time
and formulate a theory within that context since it presents an avenue
of new additional information.than that previously known.
Regards
Art

Richard Clark May 10th 07 06:47 PM

Electron ratio to form a radiation field

Hi Art,

If you are, as you say, interested in where you depart from simple
physics; then an enumeration follows:

On 10 May 2007 06:29:46 -0700, art wrote:

1)
I know that mass is not constant in
itself since it is always self adjusting to maintain equilibrium.

Mass is constant unless you are performing nuclear reactions. You
don't have sufficient energy to do that at home.

2)
would also appear that what is emitted is so small and numourous that
it can be seen as a cloud or a field.

You don't have sufficient energy at home to force emission. An
incandescent antenna is one that would be readily obvious to everyone
for miles around.

3)
I also believe there is some sort of consensus that these two clouds

There are not two of anything in emission.

4)
are still somewhat homogenous after they have escaped from the initial
gravitational forcesi.e merging of these entities is achieved beyond
the arbitary border.

Gravity is fundamentally one of the weakest forces in nature, emission
requires considerable energy and would easily eclipse its influence.

5)
Some have gone off at a tangent by introducing 377 ohms as a ratio
which ofcourse is an impossibility which destoys the credability of
their whole statement.

This ratio is a fact of nature. You could, of course, change it by
changing nature, or having invented an underwater CB antenna.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

art May 10th 07 06:54 PM

On 10 May, 06:29, art wrote:
On 10 May, 04:43, Denny wrote:

[...]

Art- Hide quoted text -

For those who are interested in the finite details of radiation I just
read in a industrial magazine that it has been determined that the
electric field in the near zone is transformed into a electric field
of an opposite polarity in the far zone.
This by implication upsets the idea that surrounds radiation emmission
from the far zone if there is still in existence an electric field.
Thus it would appear that basic physics has still not determined the
inter relative actions from a dormant static field to a mobile
radiative field. Note that the introduction of the word of ' polarity'
into the subject of antennas is not unusual in the antenna
industry.i.e. it is their words not mine.
Regards
Arthur
Art

robert casey May 10th 07 07:24 PM

art wrote:
What is the ratio of magnetic electrons emitted from a radiator
compared with
with the number of electrons emmitted due to current flow?
What is the combination ratio required of both types of electrons to
form a radiation field?
Regards
Art

You mean the radiation from an antenna driven by a radio transmitter?
It doesn't emit electrons, but it does emit photons at that radio
frequency.

Go find a book on electromagnetism and fields, but be prepared for
calculus level math in that book. I took such a class 30 years ago, and
got a "C", and remember even less now. A high school physics book might
be enough depending on your needs.

[email protected] May 10th 07 07:45 PM

robert casey wrote:
art wrote:
What is the ratio of magnetic electrons emitted from a radiator
compared with
with the number of electrons emmitted due to current flow?
What is the combination ratio required of both types of electrons to
form a radiation field?
Regards
Art

You mean the radiation from an antenna driven by a radio transmitter?
It doesn't emit electrons, but it does emit photons at that radio
frequency.

Go find a book on electromagnetism and fields, but be prepared for
calculus level math in that book. I took such a class 30 years ago, and
got a "C", and remember even less now. A high school physics book might
be enough depending on your needs.

The current (May/June) issue of QEX contains the article:

Electromagnetic Radiation: A Brief Tutorial

It contains equations but no calculus that I noticed.

"magnetic electrons emitted from a radiator" isn't mentioned, but
that isn't a surprise to most people.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

art May 10th 07 08:06 PM

On 10 May, 11:45, wrote:
robert casey wrote:
art wrote:
[...]

Remove .spam.sux to reply.- Hide quoted text -

Jim, you have no legitamacy in the subject of radiation, your past
posts prove that. On top of that you do not talk for most people as
you intimate.
You haven't yet capitulated on the static subject or negated the truth
of the mathematics and examples supplied. Just stating consistently
that you can't this or you can't that just doesn't elevate your
stature.

art May 10th 07 08:28 PM

On 10 May, 12:06, art wrote:
On 10 May, 11:45, wrote:

robert casey wrote:
art wrote:
[...]

stature.- Hide quoted text -

Some have stated that 377 ohms is a ratio. I don't understand that
assertion
since I understood that a ratio is not confined to a specific unit and
in fact
does not have units. I am aware that the impedance of a particular
atmosphere is 377 ohms but that is certainly not a ratio. Some say one
must have a knoweledge of calculus to understand radiation. Another
declares he read a book on radiation that did not use calculus which
is just as well if one becomes careless with terms such as a ratio.
But no matter, this newsgroup is a living example of the use of free
speech where amateurs can take on the guise of professionalism despite
their lowly education level.

[email protected] May 10th 07 08:30 PM

Electron ratio to form a radiation field

Particels of what?

On May 9, 6:44 pm, art wrote:
On 9 May, 17:37, Cecil Moore wrote:

art wrote:
What is the ratio of magnetic electrons emitted from a radiator
compared with with the number of electrons emmitted due to current

flow?

Art, emitted electrons are corona discharges. What is
emitted from an antenna is primarily photons. Each
photon has both electric and magnetic properties
and the ratio is 377 ohms in the far field.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Cecil,
When power is supplied there are two vectors formed by particles that
are emitted from the radiator. I am looking for the ratio of particals
emitted. You can call them photons, electrons, particles or what ever
is fine by me.
The second question is related to the flow or movement of these
particles from the enclosed surface to the outside of the surface ( I
will call this an arbitary boundary unless there is cries of
disagreement). The passage of the
two types of particles thru the boundary allows for the combination of
their individual energies to form a radiated field. Thus I was asking
what the ratio of one type of particle to the other type of particle
is required to do that. Obviously if the combination is created by
collision it would appear that the ratio is 1:1 but I do not know
personally how the combination occurrs.
I understand that the electrons change wavelength to break away from
the gravitational field (equilibrium) at the parting point and then
change back to the originating wavelength at or before the formation
of the radiating field. If this is correct then the number of
electrons if any that do NOT escape from the enclosed surface have to
be accounted for UNLESS ALL ESCAPE which would infer an equal ratio of
electron emmissionfor the formation of a radiative field. If the
initial ratio is not equal then obviously the rest will return to the
initial gravitational field possibly to form a skin depth since the
velocity of return is the same as the initiating velocity. Hopefully
the above will apply a clue as to where I am comming from.
Regards
Art

Cecil Moore[_2_] May 10th 07 08:58 PM

From: http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...845268,00.html

Mathematically, the Zo of free space is equal to the square root of the
ratio of the permeability of free space (發) in henrys per meter (H/m)
to the permittivity of free space (o) in farads per meter (F/m):

Zo = (發/o)1/2

= [(1.257 x 10-6 H/m)/(8.85 x 10-12 F/m)]1/2

= 377 ohms (approximately)

The exact value of the Zo of free space is 120 pi ohms, where pi is the
ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter.
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

[email protected] May 10th 07 09:15 PM

art wrote:
On 10 May, 11:45, wrote:
robert casey wrote:
art wrote:
[...]

As for "legitamacy" (sic), I have an EE degree and 35 years experience
in the field, do you?

As for speaking for others, I mearly noted that babbling nonsense
about "magnetic electrons emitted from a radiator" not being in the
article will not be a surprise to most of the people who post here.

You haven't yet capitulated on the static subject or negated the truth
of the mathematics and examples supplied. Just stating consistently
that you can't this or you can't that just doesn't elevate your
stature.

I haven't a clue what all that babble means as with most of your
babbling, strung on sentence structured, non-paragraph formatted,
rambling, postings.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

art May 10th 07 09:45 PM

From:http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...845268,00.html

Mathematically, the Zo of free space is equal to the square root of the
ratio of the permeability of free space (發) in henrys per meter (H/m)
to the permittivity of free space (o) in farads per meter (F/m):

Zo = (發/o)1/2

= [(1.257 x 10-6 H/m)/(8.85 x 10-12 F/m)]1/2

= 377 ohms (approximately)

The exact value of the Zo of free space is 120 pi ohms, where pi is the
ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter.
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

O.k. Cecil I will for the moment embrace that a ratio must have a unit
of measurement which puts me in line with all the amateurs of this
newsgroup (see I am flexible). I will also change from particles now,
to electrons and now to protons as requested ( see I am flexible
again)
For my interest, what is the unit that must be used for the front to
back ratio of a directive antenna?
Regards
Art

Frank's May 10th 07 09:58 PM

Electron ratio to form a radiation field

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
t...

From: http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...845268,00.html

Mathematically, the Zo of free space is equal to the square root of the
ratio of the permeability of free space (發) in henrys per meter (H/m) to
the permittivity of free space (o) in farads per meter (F/m):

Zo = (發/o)1/2

= [(1.257 x 10-6 H/m)/(8.85 x 10-12 F/m)]1/2

= 377 ohms (approximately)

The exact value of the Zo of free space is 120 pi ohms, where pi is the
ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter.
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

Also the ratio of E/H. [(V/m)/(A/m)] = [ohms].

Frank

Cecil Moore[_2_] May 10th 07 10:08 PM

art wrote:
For my interest, what is the unit that must be used for the front to
back ratio of a directive antenna?

Power ratios are commonly stated in dB.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Cecil Moore[_2_] May 10th 07 10:10 PM

Frank's wrote:
Also the ratio of E/H. [(V/m)/(A/m)] = [ohms].

Is that a cause or an effect? :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Richard Harrison May 10th 07 10:41 PM

Electron ratio to form a radiation field

Art wrote:
"For my interest, what is the unit that must be used for front to back
ratio of a directive antenna?"

I must be an idiot for venturing an answer, but ratios can be just
numbers, but numbers have origins. If radiated power in one direction is
twice that in another (reference), we can say it has a directive gain of
two or we can say it has a 3 dB gain. Front to back ratios have the same
origins and units. For legitimacy, Terman says on page 871 of his 1955
opus:
"The directive gain can be expressed either as a power ratio, or in
terms of the equivalent number of decibels.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

art May 10th 07 11:17 PM

On 10 May, 14:41, (Richard Harrison) wrote:
Art wrote:

"For my interest, what is the unit that must be used for front to back
ratio of a directive antenna?"

I must be an idiot for venturing an answer, but ratios can be just
numbers, but numbers have origins. If radiated power in one direction is
twice that in another (reference), we can say it has a directive gain of
two or we can say it has a 3 dB gain. Front to back ratios have the same
origins and units. For legitimacy, Terman says on page 871 of his 1955
opus:
"The directive gain can be expressed either as a power ratio, or in
terms of the equivalent number of decibels.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

So it is now the norm not to cancel units of measurement in physics?
Woe is me. Free speech takes on a new meaning for some but not
acceptable from others meaning a term for a formula can now be called
a ratio with units of one's choice. Still, this is amateur radio after
all, it does not have to follow professional standards as most was
learned in the CB era

Cecil Moore[_2_] May 10th 07 11:24 PM

art wrote:
So it is now the norm not to cancel units of measurement in physics?
Woe is me. Free speech takes on a new meaning for some but not
acceptable from others meaning a term for a formula can now be called
a ratio with units of one's choice. Still, this is amateur radio after
all, it does not have to follow professional standards as most was
learned in the CB era

Art, maybe you should take time to study "dimensional
analysis". It really opened my eyes a half-century ago.
If you want to divide joules by amps, just put the most
elementary dimensions into the division and see what
are the results.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

art May 11th 07 12:31 AM

art wrote:
So it is now the norm not to cancel units of measurement in physics?
Woe is me. Free speech takes on a new meaning for some but not
acceptable from others meaning a term for a formula can now be called
a ratio with units of one's choice. Still, this is amateur radio after
all, it does not have to follow professional standards as most was
learned in the CB era

Art, maybe you should take time to study "dimensional
analysis". It really opened my eyes a half-century ago.
If you want to divide joules by amps, just put the most
elementary dimensions into the division and see what
are the results.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Cecil, this augument is an old one. I remember Roy really get his
knickers
in a twist when some of the group referred to F/B db. Sometimes you
just have to go with the flow. Many antenna experts have given up on
this group
since they could not or would not do what you have done succesfully
i.e. record posts in response to everybody and anybody. I prefer to
provide a subject where I know that those who visualise themselves as
pro's in the business of antennas expose their limitations to the
World. It really is like politics everybody can spout about what is
incorrect but few can offer an explanation of what is correct. Many
just evoke memories of what they did in yesteryearat work or what they
achieved in memory tests at exams when the truth is that the
experience that they refer to is ones that they repeated year after
year but never where they have advanced in technical proweress from
times over 50 years ago, as if the World has stood still. Give me
strength. We really are just a bunch of old men speaking of the old
times with the same stories time over time again as if we are at a
coffee break and where the majority moved over years ago from CB radio
with appliance and technical mentality learned on channel 13 or what
ever it was. Seems like for some over time see their experience of
employment grew to the proportions of giants in industry as they grew
older when in fact they are living in illusions.
Thanks for the free advice as to what I should do but I already have a
life.
Art

[email protected] May 11th 07 12:55 AM

Art wrote:

[...]

Example:

Forward gain = 12db
Reverse gain = 2db

Front to back ratio = 12db/2db = 6; no units as they cancel.

5th grade mathematics.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

From:http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...845268,00.html

Frank, you got my attention when you pointed to the above link.
I read it a few times and 377 ohms was refered to as Zo. I can't find
any reference
that states Zo is a ratio. Did you intend to point to another link
that specifically points
to Zo is a ratio? Surely you are not following in the steps of others
where anything can be written
right or wrong as long as it creats an augument or distress? You
disapoint me!
Some in this group are already thinking it is legal for a ratio to
have units assigned
because of the inference that the link say's it's so which is an
untruth and
you are perpetuating the spread of untruths. This is similar to
another untruth
that is being perpetuated with respect to photons just because one
person
it be so stated. It is getting to the point that if you read it on the
net don't believe it
unless it can be verified

Art

Mathematically, the Zo of free space is equal to the square root of the
ratio of the permeability of free space (發) in henrys per meter (H/m) to
the permittivity of free space (o) in farads per meter (F/m):

Zo = (發/o)1/2

= [(1.257 x 10-6 H/m)/(8.85 x 10-12 F/m)]1/2

= 377 ohms (approximately)

The exact value of the Zo of free space is 120 pi ohms, where pi is the
ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter.
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

Also the ratio of E/H. [(V/m)/(A/m)] = [ohms].

Frank- Hide quoted text -

Roy Lewallen May 11th 07 01:22 AM

Richard Harrison wrote:
Art wrote:
"For my interest, what is the unit that must be used for front to back
ratio of a directive antenna?"

I must be an idiot for venturing an answer, but ratios can be just
numbers, but numbers have origins. If radiated power in one direction is
twice that in another (reference), we can say it has a directive gain of
two or we can say it has a 3 dB gain. . .

Forgive me for picking a nit here, but the front/back ratio is the ratio
of radiated *field strength* or radiated *power density*, not radiated
power. Strictly speaking, there is zero power radiated in any single
direction.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

art May 11th 07 01:40 AM

Art wrote:

[...]

Not so fast! It would appear that we have some real experts in the
group
that would disagree with you on this, probably because they judge
your
performance on your postings and not on the extensive experiences.
I suspect that some did not go along with your lengthy verbal
launchings
on the illigitimacy of adding a time metric to Gaussian law
regardless
of mathematical proof given, You were not able to pinpoint a
mathematical error and relied on the word "can't" around which
many of your utterings revolve. There was a fable written about
a person who called "wolf" once to often who had nobody to
blame but himself. If you make a habit of lying then the truth
get's a hard time in obtaining belief.

Owen Duffy May 11th 07 01:54 AM

Electron ratio to form a radiation field

(Richard Harrison) wrote in news:18308-
:

Art wrote:
"For my interest, what is the unit that must be used for front to back
ratio of a directive antenna?"

I must be an idiot for venturing an answer, but ratios can be just
numbers, but numbers have origins. If radiated power in one direction

is
twice that in another (reference), we can say it has a directive gain

of
two or we can say it has a 3 dB gain. Front to back ratios have the

same
origins and units. For legitimacy, Terman says on page 871 of his 1955
opus:
"The directive gain can be expressed either as a power ratio, or in
terms of the equivalent number of decibels.

This seems to introduce a new concept of "directive gain", which isn't
Directivity as it is commonly used / understood, and it isn't Gain as it
is commonly used / understood. It also seems to be based on a flexible
reference (being "another" direction).

What is wrong with the concept that Directivity (either the maximum, or
in a specific direction) is the ratio of the power density (more
correctly) in that case to the power density averaged over all
directions, and that Gain=Directivity/Loss.

Richard, you seem to have used a textbook to define something that it
didn't.

Owen

[email protected] May 11th 07 02:05 AM

art wrote:
Art wrote:

[...]

People beyond 5th grade math? I expect most posters are.

snip rambling babble

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Frank's May 11th 07 02:09 AM

From:http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...845268,00.html

[...]

I think you are confusing a posting by Cecil. Anyway, quoting
from "Engineering Electromagnetics" by Nathan Ida, 2nd ed. p 743:
"....the reference field is E (an arbitrary choice used in
electromagnetics as a convention). Thus we define the ratio between
Ex(z) and Hy(z) as eta = Ex(z)/Ey(z) = ...... sqrt(mu/epsilon) [ohms]
This quantity is an impedance because the electric field intensity is
given in [V/m] and the magnetic field intensity is given in [A/m].
The quantity eta is called the intrinsic impedance or wave impedance
of the material.....".

Frank