Old May 12th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Long inverted V not working well, why?

On Sat, 12 May 2007 06:42:30 -0700, Danny Richardson wrote:

http://www.cebik.com/wire/vang.html

Good morning, Danny.

Thanks for the pointer. That one was a real eye opener. I always thought
that any angle 90 degrees or greater at the feedpoint was OK. I think
mine is something like about 100 degrees. I'll see if I can raise the
ends up a bit and see what difference that makes.

Old May 12th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 12 May 2007 10:37:13 -0400, Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) wrote:

Thanks for the pointer. That one was a real eye opener. I always thought
that any angle 90 degrees or greater at the feedpoint was OK. I think
mine is something like about 100 degrees.

Actually I just calculated it out and it's more like around 130 degrees,
or each leg is just 25 degrees down from horizontal. So, according to
Cebik that should be pretty good.

Old May 12th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2007 10:37:13 -0400, Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) wrote:
Thanks for the pointer. That one was a real eye opener. I always thought
that any angle 90 degrees or greater at the feedpoint was OK. I think
mine is something like about 100 degrees.

Actually I just calculated it out and it's more like around 130 degrees,
or each leg is just 25 degrees down from horizontal. So, according to
Cebik that should be pretty good.

What is the length of your feedline?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old May 12th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 12 May 2007 12:47:32 -0500, Cecil Moore wrote:

What is the length of your feedline?

That I don't know at the moment. I downloaded your imax.exe program and
ran some numbers.

There sure aren't very many numbers that are good for all bands 160
through 10.

No doubt my feedline is wrong for a lot of frequencies, made more clear by
the fact that there are a few frequencies where my LDG autotuner can't
find a match.

However, how much does the feedline length matter IF the autotuner is able
to find a good match point?

I can get 1.5:1 or better from everywhere in the 160 and 80 meter bands,
and the high end of the 40-meter band (on the low end I can't get below
about 2:1).

I'm about to go outside and try some different feedline lengths.

Old May 12th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) wrote:
No doubt my feedline is wrong for a lot of frequencies, made more clear by
the fact that there are a few frequencies where my LDG autotuner can't
find a match.

However, how much does the feedline length matter IF the autotuner is able
to find a good match point?

Some impedances are outside the matching range and some
impedances are barely inside the matching range. Some
of the latter may not be a "good" match point. I model
my antenna systems to get a ballpark idea of what
impedance I am up against and use an antenna analyzer
to fine tune the system.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

IC-M710 long distance communication, how long ? Newbie Digital 5 January 23rd 07 09:29 PM
2.4ghz inverted V? KG0WX Antenna 1 March 21st 06 05:32 PM
Wire Antenna Element s : Five Foot (5') Long -=V=- Fifty Foot (50') Long RHF Shortwave 0 October 16th 05 12:46 PM
Long Wire or Long Dipole JEFF UK Shortwave 16 January 28th 04 02:55 AM
Inverted "V" with angle=60° Reg Edwards Antenna 2 July 13th 03 09:42 PM