Old May 28th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Confused over coax and windom - newbie

On Sun, 27 May 2007 22:40:57 -0700, John Smith I
wrote:

OK. Let's apply logic here ...

1) If you have used a VOM and there is continuity between the center
conductor of one end of the coax, with the center conductor of the
opposite end of the coax, the center conductor is ok.

2) If you have continuity between the outer conductor of one end of the
coax (shield) with the outer conductor of the opposite end of the coax
(shield), the outer shield of the coax is ok.

snip
Warmest regards,
JS

In view of your logic, let me tell you about my situation recently
when I tested a piece of coax on which I installed on connector.

There were already two connectors on the coax and I removed one that
was crimped and had slipped. I put on my connector and tested it with
my radio, no signal. Hmm, I needed to check the wire.

1) I tested the center conductor and the shield on the connector I
just installed... Short. OOPS!

I cut off the connector and replaced it.

2) Tested the center conductor and shield on the connector I just
installed... Short. OOPS again.

3) after cutting off my connector again, I tested the other connector.
between the coax and shield. Open. Great!

I soldered on the connector for the third time.
4) tested the center lead and shield of my connector... SHORT! Hmmmm

5) I cut off my connector and tested again. Open ?????

I tested the other connector again. Open.

ahhhh. I tested the center conductor from end to end.... OPEN!!!

I tested the center conductor to the shield on the end where I was
installing my connector.... SHORT!!!!

Time for a new piece of coax....

73 for now
Buck
N4PGW

--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGW

www.lumpuckeroo.com

"Small - broadband - efficient: pick any two."
Old May 28th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Buck wrote:

You were either working with one EXPENSIVE piece of coax (and attempting
to save the pocket book)--else you demonstrate your super human
perseverance!

JS
Old May 28th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 28, 8:24 am, Buck wrote:

[...]

Sounds like too much heat.. You may be melting the clear jacket
and shorting the pin to shield. Be careful using too much heat when
soldering the shield. Sounds like you have a manly soldering gun..
MK

Old May 28th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
Sounds like you have a manly soldering
gun..
MK

Or an underpowered one which produces
too great an area under the temp vs.
time curve.

An old-fashioned iron with a high
thermal mass tip is less likely to
damage the coax.

Chuck

Old May 29th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 28 May 2007 07:55:53 -0700, John Smith I
wrote:

Buck wrote:

You were either working with one EXPENSIVE piece of coax (and attempting
to save the pocket book)--else you demonstrate your super human
perseverance!

JS

actually, I was thinking I was just that sloppy.... lol

Old May 29th 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 28 May 2007 15:56:10 -0400, Chuck

Sounds like you have a manly soldering
gun..
MK

Or an underpowered one which produces
too great an area under the temp vs.
time curve.

An old-fashioned iron with a high
thermal mass tip is less likely to
damage the coax.

Chuck

Inside the coax near the other connector, the wire had broken and one
of the broken ends shorted the coax, the other broken end touched
nothing. I had to look long and hard. It was apparently just a
defect. It also happened to be the only accessible piece of coax
handy at the time. As stated above, I was just thinking I was
shorting out the coax connector, but when I cut it loose and it wasn't
shorted, i knew it had to be at the other end. However, the other end
appeared to be non-shorted. It wasn't till I took time to test the
length of center conductor that I discovered the open.

Old May 29th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Buck wrote:

Buck:

I have fought things like you describe only to fail and go to bed angry
.... then get up in the morning and see the problem immediately! :-)

Regards,
JS
Old May 29th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 28 May 2007 20:19:40 -0700, John Smith I
wrote:

Buck wrote:

Buck:

I have fought things like you describe only to fail and go to bed angry
... then get up in the morning and see the problem immediately! :-)

Regards,
JS

I know the feeling

Old May 30th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 28-May-2007, wrote:

On May 28, 8:24 am, Buck wrote:

[...]

Sounds to me like the connector he didn't replace had an open center pin and a shorted braid.
Remember to make both short and open checks at both ends.

Ken
Old May 30th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Ken Fowler" wrote in message
. ..

On 28-May-2007, wrote:

On May 28, 8:24 am, Buck wrote:

[...]

A meter that will read capacitance can be real handy. The end that has the
lowest capacitance is the OPEN end.

Confused with BF998 David Homebrew 3 July 7th 06 01:17 PM
I am confused about this auction Cmd Buzz Corey Shortwave 8 July 9th 05 07:22 AM
Best coax and entry route. (And newbie question). [email protected] Antenna 3 January 17th 05 03:19 PM
koreans confused about steveo ha pi dai CB 0 December 31st 04 06:18 AM
Balun's... I'm confused... Fred Antenna 4 February 29th 04 08:00 AM