Old June 9th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Dryer Vent Lead In

Is it possible to use a dryer vent as a place to bring in my coax? It
doesn't seem like the air coming out is too hot for the coax... Does anyone
have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Old June 10th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

NotMe wrote:
Is it possible to use a dryer vent as a place to bring in my coax? It
doesn't seem like the air coming out is too hot for the coax... Does anyone
have any experience with this?

Thanks.

I would be more concerned with the humidity then temperature, unless you
are sticking the line right in back of the dryer, don't do, and there
are no connectors in the vent, no problem.

Paul
WD8OSU

Old June 10th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"NotMe" wrote in message
Is it possible to use a dryer vent as a place to bring in my coax? It
doesn't seem like the air coming out is too hot for the coax... Does

anyone
have any experience with this?

Thanks.

It's an ideal solution if you can't or don't want to drill holes in the
wall. Make sure you leave enough cable to make a drip loop outside the house
and if possible angle the cable slightly upwards as it comes through the
vent. This ensures any water or condensation runs back outside and drips of
onto the ground where it won't do any harm.

I use the same method myself.

Mike G0ULI

Old June 10th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 17:54:46 -0500, "NotMe" wrote:

Is it possible to use a dryer vent as a place to bring in my coax? It
doesn't seem like the air coming out is too hot for the coax... Does anyone
have any experience with this?

Thanks.

If you can do it without kinking the coax too much, which could cause
the center conductor to touch the braid, especially with hot air
softening the foam-or-whatever insulation, it could be workable.

Of couse, in loosening the air tube from the vent, you may end up with
hot air in the house, unless you seal everything over.

bob
k5qwg
Old June 10th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Bob Miller" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 17:54:46 -0500, "NotMe" wrote:

Is it possible to use a dryer vent as a place to bring in my coax? It
doesn't seem like the air coming out is too hot for the coax... Does
anyone
have any experience with this?

Thanks.

If you can do it without kinking the coax too much, which could cause
the center conductor to touch the braid, especially with hot air
softening the foam-or-whatever insulation, it could be workable.

Of couse, in loosening the air tube from the vent, you may end up with
hot air in the house, unless you seal everything over.

bob
k5qwg

Never done it with a dryer vent but I have done it with a plumbing vent. I
installed a T in an attic and ran the coax up through the roof. Make sure
you seal where the coax goes into the T or you will get some funky odors in
your house.

Jimmie

Old June 10th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jimmie D wrote:
Never done it with a dryer vent but I have done it with a plumbing vent. I
installed a T in an attic and ran the coax up through the roof. Make sure
you seal where the coax goes into the T or you will get some funky odors in
your house.

Anyone ever tell you that your signal STINKS?!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

73 OM,
--
HZ
Old June 10th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Hank Zoeller" wrote in message
Jimmie D wrote:
Never done it with a dryer vent but I have done it with a plumbing vent.
I installed a T in an attic and ran the coax up through the roof. Make
sure you seal where the coax goes into the T or you will get some funky
odors in your house.

Anyone ever tell you that your signal STINKS?!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

73 OM,
--
HZ

All the time when I told then what I had done.

Jimmie

Old June 10th 07, 08:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"NotMe" wrote in
:

Is it possible to use a dryer vent as a place to bring in my coax?
It doesn't seem like the air coming out is too hot for the coax...

You need to check the maximum temperature at the end of a drying cycle when
the clothes have no water left in them and the temperature of the exhause
air is highest.

If it is less than the maximum temperature for the coax (typically around
60 deg C, then you can set about derating the power handling capability for
the coax in the higher ambient temperature.

Owen
Old June 10th 07, 08:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Owen Duffy wrote in
:

If it is less than the maximum temperature for the coax (typically
around 60 deg C, then you can set about derating the power handling
capability for the coax in the higher ambient temperature.

That was supposed to read

If it is less than the maximum temperature for the coax (typically
around 60 - 80 deg C, then you can set about derating the power handling

Old June 10th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"NotMe" wrote in message
Is it possible to use a dryer vent as a place to bring in my coax? It
doesn't seem like the air coming out is too hot for the coax... Does
anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Why not drill the hole through the metal plate that is part of the dryer
vent. That way the coax is not actually in the air flow.

Tam/WB2TT

I lead men in battle an_old_friend[_3_] Policy 0 May 4th 07 07:06 PM
100 Ohm Twin Lead Sonny Hood Antenna 36 May 18th 06 04:46 AM
DC Power Lead? Theo Boatanchors 0 February 1st 05 10:02 AM
Lead in wire Pierre Vachon Shortwave 3 November 10th 04 04:58 AM