Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 9th 04, 12:05 AM
mustang

Default Mobile Helical Winding info please

I'm trying to wind a set of helicals to use mobile on HF, and I'm
wondering what guides there are. I have made them by close winding a
half wavelength of wire on the rod, and have tried close winding on the
top section of the rod, then widening the turns beteeen there and the
base feedpoint. A length of 3/4 wavelength of wire is suggested there.
But I am getting very weird effects. Can someone who has done this give
me some tips please? I have searched the net, but find very little on
this subject. I use a GDO, simple z bridge, and a vswr meter of course.
Briefly, the weird effects include the freq DROPPING as wire is pruned!
And an inability to get above 13.5 MHz if aiming at 14 MHz...it
fluctuates as wire is cut and spacing is altered.
Frustrating.
Any tips & help appreciated.
Thanks,
Adrian
VK5AW

mobile antenna impedance comparison H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H Antenna 23 January 22nd 04 10:32 AM
"Homebrew FM tap" for the mobile ? Joe Antenna 6 January 15th 04 04:46 PM
Mobile Antennas Jerry Antenna 0 September 8th 03 07:27 PM
Need HF / Mobile Antenna Recommendation Craig Buck Antenna 3 August 10th 03 03:49 PM
Wanted: SWAN Mobile Antenna Info Norm VE3CZI Antenna 4 July 18th 03 10:44 PM