RadioBanter

-   -   Long Wire Balun (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1209-long-wire-balun.html)

Richard Harrison February 17th 04 04:50 PM

Reg, G4FGQ wrote:
"If the input impedance is LESS THAN 50 ohms then an unun makes it
worse"

A transformer can step down as well as step up. Early crystal sets
stepped down antenna impedance to the low impedance of the rectifier
using a continuously variable autoformer (a sliding contact on a coil).
Position was adjusted for best results.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Reg Edwards February 20th 04 12:10 AM

Wrong!

If a long wire antenna, regardless of Zo, is about 1/4 wavelengths long it
will have an input impedance less than 50 ohms.

A conventional balun will bring it down to much less.

And a conventional balun will not work the other way round.
---
Reg

Stephen Cowell February 20th 04 07:10 AM

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
Wrong!

If a long wire antenna, regardless of Zo, is about 1/4 wavelengths long it
will have an input impedance less than 50 ohms.

For me, it has to be over a wavelength
before I'll call it 'long' wire... 1/4 wave is
*definitely* not a long wire, by any stretch
of the imagination.
__
Steve
KI5YG
..

Stephen Cowell February 24th 04 02:04 PM

"Edmund H. Ramm" wrote in message
In "CW"

writes:

That is the generally excepted definition.

" Stephen Cowell" wrote in message
.com...

For me, it has to be over a wavelength
before I'll call it 'long' wire... 1/4 wave is
*definitely* not a long wire, by any stretch
of the imagination.
__
Steve
KI5YG

On the contrary, it is the generally accepted definition.

You're saying that a 1/4 wave wire is 'long'?
__
Steve
KI5YG
..

CW February 25th 04 01:26 AM

I think reading lessons should be in your future. You're saying that you're
right and I'm wrong when we said the same thing?

No, I'm confirming your
statement (a longwire antenna has to be longer than one wavelength),
while at the same taking exception to what CW wrote.