RadioBanter

-   -   Long Wire Balun (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1209-long-wire-balun.html)

Cecil Moore February 9th 04 01:01 AM

P N P wrote:

Could someone direct me to a site that would show me how to build a balun
for my long wire antenna to allow me the use of 50 ohm cable down to the
receiver ?

If the "long wire" is not resonant, a balun won't do much good. What
are you doing with the coax braid at the point of connection to the
long wire?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

'Doc February 9th 04 06:01 AM

John,
No, I won't bother. A balun is unnecessary. Yhe
so called 'longwire balun's aren't, really, but they
seem to be a money maker for the manufacturers. Besides,
isn't a long wire antenna unbalanced to start with?
'Doc

'Doc February 9th 04 08:14 AM

John,
Could you convert it to a 'Windom'? Sure, or a dipole, or
continue the thing around and make a loop out of it. Lots of
possibilities depending on the area you have to work with.
The question is, will a particular length and 'shape' be of any
benefit? Beats me, just depends on what frequency(s) you want
to use it on. Nothing works well on all frequencies, and almost
anything will work well on some frequency (lot of help, huh?).
There's also no 'rule' that says you have to keep whatever
antenna
you start with. If something doesn't work as well as you would
like, try something else. There is no one 'best' antenna...
'Doc

Bob Miller February 9th 04 02:32 PM

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 11:52:07 -0800, "P N P"
wrote:

Could someone direct me to a site that would show me how to build a balun
for my long wire antenna to allow me the use of 50 ohm cable down to the
receiver ?
T.I.A.
John

I would skip the balun and just get an inexpensive antenna tuner from
MFJ. Attach your long wire to it, twist the controls for maximum
static at a particular frequency, and that's it.

Bob
k5qwg

Mikey February 9th 04 02:53 PM

John, you don't necessarily need a balun. Not knowing your installation, I
would most likely split the coax at the feedpoint (which, for longwires, can
be virtually anywhere), and run the shield to ground (counterpoise, etc.).
No balun needed...

- Mike KI6PR
El Rancho R.F., CA

P N P February 10th 04 02:24 AM

The length is unknown at present, it runs up the trunk of a tree in the back
yard then across the roof of the house - I could convert it to a Windom as
have "length" to play with ?

Whoopydoo February 10th 04 10:54 AM

A long wire balun or should we say unun is a great help for converting the
high impedance of a very long wire compared with frequency to an impedance
that is much closer to 50 ohms....

Check out.

http://dxantennas.com

"P N P" wrote in message
Could someone direct me to a site that would show me how to build a balun
for my long wire antenna to allow me the use of 50 ohm cable down to the
receiver ?
T.I.A.
John

---

Reg Edwards February 10th 04 11:35 AM

"Whoopydoo"
A long wire balun or should we say unun is a great help for converting the
high impedance of a very long wire compared with frequency to an impedance
that is much closer to 50 ohms....

========================

Only half right.

If the input impedance of a long wire is LESS THAN 50 ohms then a unun makes
it worse.
----
Reg

Spike February 15th 04 05:22 AM

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
"Whoopydoo"
A long wire balun or should we say unun is a great help for converting

the
high impedance of a very long wire compared with frequency to an

impedance
that is much closer to 50 ohms....

========================

Only half right.

If the input impedance of a long wire is LESS THAN 50 ohms then a unun

makes
it worse.
----
Reg

If the input impedance of the wire is less than 50 ohms then either
1) it is not a long wire, it is a short wire,or
2) it is in intimate contact with the ground or counterpoise it is being
worked against;
if ground then it is a buried radial; if counterpoise then it's half a
transmission line.

The e-mail is fake. A real one is on QRZ.
KC5UES