Old July 26th 03, 02:02 PM
Robert McCown

Default Staples and twin lead

Is is a bad thing to hold twin lead 450 ohm feedline in place with staples?
I'm thinking the kind that come from a staple gun or the insulated ones you
drive with a hammer.
If not, should I put the staples through the dielectric or over the wires?
Thanks.
Bob AB0OD

Old July 26th 03, 04:10 PM
WB3FUP \(Mike Hall\)

I will be interested to see the replies. I have
mine hung with a series of TV coax cable clips. I
use the portion that goes over the coax to contain
one of the wires. I have not noticed any
difference, pre and post hanging. I was careful
to avoid hard right angles.

--
73 es cul

wb3fup
a Salty Bear

"Robert McCown" wrote in
message
. ..

Old July 26th 03, 07:06 PM
donut

W7TI wrote in
:

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 13:02:35 GMT, "Robert McCown"
wrote:

Is is a bad thing to hold twin lead 450 ohm feedline in place with
staples? I'm thinking the kind that come from a staple gun or the
insulated ones you drive with a hammer.
If not, should I put the staples through the dielectric or over the
wires? Thanks.
Bob AB0OD

As long as you don't damage the dielectric, it should be ok. I've
installed thousands of feet of twinlead for TV reception using staples
and never had a problem.

For transmitting, you must keep in mind any possible arcing due to
damaged dielectric, but the mere presence of a metallic staple should
not make any difference in SWR or losses.

Ideally, the twin lead should not touch walls. It was always mounted using
those insulated screw-in standoffs.
Old July 26th 03, 07:13 PM
Richard Clark

wrote:

Is is a bad thing to hold twin lead 450 ohm feedline in place with staples?
I'm thinking the kind that come from a staple gun or the insulated ones you
drive with a hammer.
If not, should I put the staples through the dielectric or over the wires?
Thanks.
Bob AB0OD

Hi Bob,

Stapled to what? Untreated wood? In the rain? THAT would look like
a fair sized resistor hung on the line. Insulate the staples? You
still have the same resistor now capacitively fed. Would you notice
with either circumstance? Odds I would offer is 50:50.

Are you the type to chase down the last 1dB? You would have to squint
hard at the S-Meter to see it. If you chase below 1dB, switch to
ceramic standoffs.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old July 28th 03, 06:18 PM
David

The staples won't have any noticeable effect at HF frequencies but I
strongly agree with all of those who recommend spacing the feedline away
from any surface with standoffs.

David KG2LI