Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 2nd 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Default Front-to-back ratio for UHF antenna

Hello:

I have been trying to find the answer to my question on the front-to-
back ratio on UHF antennas, and so far have been unsuccessful.

I think I understand what the front-to-back ratio is, but the specs on
my Winegard PR-8800 (8 bay bowtie) show negative front-to-back ratios
(-9 dB @ ch 14; -17 dB @ ch 32; -11 dB @ ch 50; -9 dB @ ch 69). The
"dB over reference dipole" is: 10.7 dB @ ch 14; 12 dB @ ch 32; 11 dB @
ch 50; 12.5 dB @ ch 69. How can the front-to-back ratio be negative,
and is this good or bad? I am assuming this could be bad in my case
as I would like the signal at the back of the antenna to be minimal.

I am currently trying to improve our HDTV reception. I currently have
the PR-8800 antenna in our attic hooked to a Radio Shack 30 dB mast
amp. This antenna works very well overall. But from time to time, on
a couple channels the HD signal strength will drop all the way down,
enough to drop the signal or cause break-up. I've been considering a
Winegard HD9095P or PR9032 to use in conjunction with the PR-8800
since they have a higher gain than the PR-8800, then rotate the
PR-8800 the other way to receive some different stations.

I really appreciate the help and feedback on this!!

Thanks,
--
Chris