Old February 11th 04, 01:30 AM
Ronald Walters

Default Recomend Size of Aux Antenna for use with MFJ-1025/6 or ANC-4

Have a MFJ-1026 noise canceling signal enhancer and have determined that the
only way it can really achieve the desired results in most cases is with a
remote antenna.

I use a 40 meter double extended center feed zepp on 80 and 40 meters with
great results. Recent birdies (Noise) from a man made product which I can
not track down gives me S-9+ signals on 80 meters and around S-7 on 40 every
17 kc's.

I have read were some success using a 20 meter dipole has provide a strong
enough signal for the MFJ to be effective. I am thinking of using a 40
meter dipole 40 feet lower than the Zepp and around 40 feet parallel to the
Zepp. That large of a antenna however might induce to much RF on the Aux
antenna connected to the MFJ and cause future problems.

Looking for recommendations from users of the ANC-4 or MFJ-1025 or 1026.
Your input will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

73 - Ron W4LDE

Old February 11th 04, 11:44 AM
Thomas C. Sefranek

"Ronald Walters" wrote in message
m...
[...]

The "birdies" are probably NOT generated outside your QTH.
Put up a long wire INSIDE as your sense antenna.
Do NOT use an antenna that is well coupled to the transmitting antenna!

It is not easy to properly adjust the MFJ, but with a careful tuning,
you can null out the "birdies". Be sure to write down the settings for the
frequencies you,,, frequent.

73 - Ron W4LDE

--
*
| __O Thomas C. Sefranek
|_-\,_ Amateur Radio Operator: WA1RHP
(*)/ (*) Bicycle mobile on 145.41, 448.625 MHz

http://hamradio.cmcorp.com/inventory/Inventory.html
http://www.harvardrepeater.org

Old January 3rd 05, 12:00 AM
gwatts

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:13:55 GMT

Thomas C. Sefranek wrote:
"Ronald Walters" wrote in message
m...

Have a MFJ-1026 noise canceling signal enhancer...
Looking for recommendations from users of the ANC-4 or MFJ-1025 or 1026.

The "birdies" are probably NOT generated outside your QTH.
Put up a long wire INSIDE as your sense antenna.
Do NOT use an antenna that is well coupled to the transmitting antenna!

I use the telescoping, screw-in whip antenna that came with the ANC-4
and get good results on bands 160-20. I also have an outdoor vertical
wire, maybe 10 feet or so that I can hook to the ANC-4 and it
occasionally does better than the whip. My main antenna is an end fed
wire, approx. 200 feet and horizontal. After midnight I use the ANC-4
to pick out AM broadcast DX, it's surprising how well it works with
careful tuning. I don't use it much above 20m.

It is not easy to properly adjust the MFJ, but with a careful tuning,
you can null out the "birdies". Be sure to write down the settings for the
frequencies you,,, frequent.
73 - Ron W4LDE

I have to readjust my settings every 15-30 minutes, very small
readjustments but necessary.

73,
W8LNA