Old September 15th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 10 meter antenna and radiation angles

Hi All. I will be getting my General Class license in the very near
future I hope. Of course, they got rid of CW after I finally had 5
WPM mastered. :-)

I live in New England and a friend of mine lives about 300 air miles
away. He has a 100 foot tower and it's amazing to see him work 20
meters. He also mentioned that he is finding 10 meters is opening more
and is having luck there also.

Unfortunately, all I have access to at this time is a 25 watt 10
meter rig. For my first HF antenna, I would like to be able to
communicate with my HAM friend as a priority, with any further
contacts a bonus. He recommended a full wavelength dipole set up as
an inverted V and experiment with wire angles. I know the inverted V
is much more omni directional than a flat dipole.

So the antennas I have considered which I hope have the proper take
off angles a
Inverted V
Moxon Beam
10 meter extended double Zepp (low radiation angle?)
10 meter vertical loop (experiment with loop angle and feedpoints)
Some type of sloper (dipole, end-fed, delta loop type?)

I'm hoping someone out there has had some luck with medium range
consistency (300 miles in my case) at 10 meters. I have a fairly
large yard but it is heavily wooded. The ground ranges from rich loom
to solid granite. A 44' EDZ is possible but definitely won't be easy,
although I will certainly make the effort. I also have a 10 meter
yagi sitting in pieces but if you think that may work, I will have to
suspend it from trees in a fixed direction.

Thanks!

Old September 15th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Been quite a while since I've been on 10M, but I think 300 miles might
be a little tough. Too far for groundwave and I think a little too
close for E skip. Heck though, give it a try!

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Old September 15th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Scott wrote:
Been quite a while since I've been on 10M, but I think 300 miles might
be a little tough. Too far for groundwave and I think a little too
close for E skip. Heck though, give it a try!

Yep. Too close for local, too far for skywave. But hey, ya never know.

Solar activity is way down, it isn't like the 70's ...

Regards,
JS
Old September 15th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Denno" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All. I will be getting my General Class license in the very near
future I hope. Of course, they got rid of CW after I finally had 5
WPM mastered. :-)

I live in New England and a friend of mine lives about 300 air miles
away. He has a 100 foot tower and it's amazing to see him work 20
meters. He also mentioned that he is finding 10 meters is opening more
and is having luck there also.

Unfortunately, all I have access to at this time is a 25 watt 10
meter rig. For my first HF antenna, I would like to be able to
communicate with my HAM friend as a priority, with any further
contacts a bonus. He recommended a full wavelength dipole set up as
an inverted V and experiment with wire angles. I know the inverted V
is much more omni directional than a flat dipole.

You will have to trade that 10 meter rig for something that will work 80
meters or 40 meters. While the band may open sometime for that distance,
it is too far away for ground wave and maybe too close for sky wave most of
the time. No antenna that can be put up by most hams can help you reach
that distance 99.9 % of the time on 10 meters.

Old September 15th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Denno wrote:
I'm hoping someone out there has had some luck with medium range
consistency (300 miles in my case) at 10 meters.

300 miles is close to NVIS propagation and is
very unlikely on 10m at the present time.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Old September 15th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

If somehow you can sell that 10 m rig and get any kind of old all band SSB
transceiver, you can work your buddy 99% of the time on 75 meters with a
simple dipole. That's what 75 meters is made for. You can sit and talk for
hours, armchair copy. And when he isn't around you can talk to others, you
can't do that with what you are trying to do on 10 m.

Rick K2XT
Old September 15th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
Denno wrote:
I'm hoping someone out there has had some luck with medium range
consistency (300 miles in my case) at 10 meters.

300 miles is close to NVIS propagation and is
very unlikely on 10m at the present time.

IF super intense Es is going on (Usually in the summer, with
maybe couple times in Winter Solstius (xmas-new years), MAYBE -
but even this is a stretch! As stated, better 80-40 Meters, and BTW, IF
you should get THAT short skip on 10 (400 miles, or LESS), then bet 6
Meters is open! , but
then, I digress: Good Luck-- Jim NN7K
Old September 15th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Denno" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Hi Denno

The greatest quality of HAM radio is your being able to experiment with
about anything that pleases you. It is so unlikely that you will ever be
satisfied with audio communication with your buddy 300 miles away on ten
meters, that you might consider using Skype for that ONE contact and set up
anything that seems interesting to you for ten meters. It wont take long
for you to know alot about what antenna is best for you.

Jerry

Old September 15th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

"Denno" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

With 100W, your best bet is probably 40 meters. People on 75 tend to run
some power.

Tam/WB2TT

Old September 15th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Denno wrote in news:1189815507.253313.324210@
19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

[...]

You will not get a consistent path on 10m of 300 miles without some
pretty expensive antenna hardware and high power. Just cannot be done.
You'd actually get off cheaper trying to do it on 2m SSB (which would
probably work OK if you stacked two yagis one over the other and fed them
with a good amp). Your friend would have to reciprocate, though, as
these forward scatter systems are on the edge at best.

Seriously, what you need for that distance is a wire antenna for 75 and
40m. And 160m if you can do it. They don't have to be all THAT high,
though I'd try for about 50 feet if you can. Use 40m during the day, 75m
during the evening and morning and 160m at night. As the sunspot cycle
improves, you'll find that 75 and 40 between them pretty much cover the
distance, day or night.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

2m omnis and radiation takeoff angles - importance Bob Bob Antenna 0 March 2nd 06 02:30 PM
radiation angles Richard Antenna 8 August 21st 04 05:39 PM
Need schematic or technical info on EBERLINE PAC-ISAGA alpha radiation meter Larry Equipment 0 July 21st 04 06:57 PM
Need schematic or technical info on EBERLINE PAC-ISAGA alpha radiation meter Larry Equipment 0 July 21st 04 06:57 PM
Incoming radiation angles Art Unwin KB9MZ Antenna 33 January 6th 04 12:11 AM