Old September 23rd 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Ringo ARX-2 vs ARX-2B - What's the deal?

On Sep 23, 4:16 pm, Jim-NN7K . wrote:
Realistically, it
probably makes little difference, overall, but was a sales pitch,
started by AEA, on its Isopole antenna.

I saw a large difference when I tested mine. Using stable local
signals to test, I often saw 3-4 S units worth of difference on
the old IC-22u I was using at that time.
But the difference will vary to each installation, length of coax,
etc... It's even possible for the common mode currents to add
in phase and cause an increased gain, but that is very rare.
The decoupling kit makes the antenna work the same no
matter the length of coax, etc..
Well worth the trouble I think.
BTW, I've compared the decoupled cushcraft to the isopole.
The decoupled cushcraft was close, much closer than the
non decoupled version, but the isopole was still the best
by a slight margin. The isopole was probably the best dual
5/8 antenna ever made as far as decoupling the line.
But for the money and slimmer looks, the 2B cushcraft is
pretty good. I used one for a long time.
MK

Old September 24th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:06:19 -0700, nm5k wrote:

BTW, I've compared the decoupled cushcraft to the isopole. The decoupled
cushcraft was close, much closer than the non decoupled version, but the
isopole was still the best by a slight margin. The isopole was probably
the best dual 5/8 antenna ever made as far as decoupling the line. But
for the money and slimmer looks, the 2B cushcraft is pretty good. I used
one for a long time. MK

Speaking of Isopoles, apparently the outfit that bought the Isopole
segment of AEA has never brought them to market. Fair enough. However,
there is an outfit called Spectral (from Brazil, I believe) that is
selling an "Isopole" that looks all the world in their ads the same as an
AEA model. Their pricing is rather steep compared to when AEA was still
a going concern. Has anyone tried one?

Fortunately, I still have most of a new 2m Isopole in a box that I picked
up at a hamfest a few years back.

73, de Nate

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds,
the pessimist fears this is true."

Ringo Ringo CB 1 March 26th 05 01:58 PM
Ringo Ranger II Harbin Antenna 6 November 16th 04 08:18 AM
"Deal with the Devil"? (KUSC, Clear Channel deal) Charles Hobbs Broadcasting 0 July 22nd 03 01:08 AM