Old February 15th 04, 05:29 PM
Gary Boyer

Default Mast

I am looking for some suggestions on putting up a 30-40 foot mast or push up
pole...it does not have to be the fiberglass poles that you see
advertised...the mast would be used for an inverted vee 80 meter antenna
only...also, how do you bracket to the house or how would you attach it to
something similar...thanks...Gary...K8BY

Old February 15th 04, 06:03 PM
Tarmo Tammaru

"Gary Boyer" wrote in message
I am looking for some suggestions on putting up a 30-40 foot mast or push

up
pole...it does not have to be the fiberglass poles that you see
advertised...the mast would be used for an inverted vee 80 meter antenna
only...also, how do you bracket to the house or how would you attach it to
something similar...thanks...Gary...K8BY

I have done this with Radio Shack TV mast house brakets. Be sure to get the
kind that allows the pipe to extend all the way to the ground. If the mast
is bigger than 1-3/8, you may have to drill new holes in the braket and get
bigger U bolts; I got muffler clamps at an auto supply store for that.
Install 2 brakets, one as high as possible, and one about half way down.
Unless your house is very tall, you will still have to guy the top.

Tam/WB2TT

Old February 15th 04, 07:21 PM
Stephen Cowell

"Tarmo Tammaru" wrote in message

"Gary Boyer" wrote in message
[...]

My house is 23' at the peak... I don't use guys (yet).
I have a house with vinyl siding, so I had to fabricate
a mount that goes off the roof, not the side of the eave.
Basically, it's two 2x4s, about 3' long, lag-bolted to
the surface of the roof about 18" apart at the peak
of the roof, parallel to each other and sticking out
over the side of the house about 6". Then there's a
1x4 lag-bolted across the ends of the 2x4s, with a
U-bolt through it. The mast extends 8' above this
point, with a pulley/rope system to raise and lower
an 80m inverted vee. Push the mast into the ground
as far as you can before tightening the U-bolt, prevents
loosening up later.

I'm using 17ga chain-link top rail, which is one gauge lower
than antenna mast (16ga) and cheaper. I used a galvanised
bracket to be the yardarm for the pulley... it's the same
piece used to hold the end of the chain link to the pole,
about 6" long doubled strap. Counting the rope and pulley,
about $30 in the whole mast setup (minus dipole/etc).

I have used a roof-peak mast mount with good results...
this is the tilt-over bracket that has a mast pocket built in.
With one good set of guys, you can go up 20' from the peak
with not much problem. For this kind of installation I would
not recommend going with the cheaper hardware... use
the 16ga pieces and guy in the middle of the second
section. This route is more expensive, but preferable...
it's strong enough to support some other antennas as
well as the dipole.

If you feed with balanced line, you should take pains that
the feedline is not rattling against the mast... a piece of
string tied to the fence and the middle of the line works
for me. Thankfully, the shack's window is right below
the peak I'm using. There's a ground rod there, of course,
with the mast ground attached below the shack ground.
__
Steve
KI5YG
..

Old February 15th 04, 07:34 PM
Cecil Moore

Gary Boyer wrote:
I am looking for some suggestions on putting up a 30-40 foot mast or push up
pole...it does not have to be the fiberglass poles that you see
advertised...the mast would be used for an inverted vee 80 meter antenna
only...also, how do you bracket to the house or how would you attach it to
something similar...thanks...Gary...K8BY

Guyed Vs self-supporting makes a huge difference. A TV mast comes
in ten foot sections and will work for the above if guyed. TV
telescoping poles are available at Home Depot, Lowe's, Radio Shack,
et al. My favorite is 20 ft of fiberglas pole mounted on top of
20 ft of 2x4s.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old February 16th 04, 12:13 AM
JGBOYLES

I am looking for some suggestions on putting up a 30-40 foot mast or push up
pole...

Radio Shack used to sell all the stuff you would need. I would check with them
first.
Home Depot and Lowes also sell home TV antenna equipment that should get you
fixed up. I have done what you are contemplating many times.
73 Gary N4AST

Old February 16th 04, 01:49 AM
Art Unwin KB9MZ

Cecil Moore wrote in message ...
Gary Boyer wrote:
I am looking for some suggestions on putting up a 30-40 foot mast or push up
pole...it does not have to be the fiberglass poles that you see
advertised...the mast would be used for an inverted vee 80 meter antenna
only...also, how do you bracket to the house or how would you attach it to
something similar...thanks...Gary...K8BY

Guyed Vs self-supporting makes a huge difference. A TV mast comes
in ten foot sections and will work for the above if guyed. TV
telescoping poles are available at Home Depot, Lowe's, Radio Shack,
et al. My favorite is 20 ft of fiberglas pole mounted on top of
20 ft of 2x4s.

Re fibre glass pole. How is it made? Solid or hollow?
Is it a vaulting sports pole that is modified? Fishing pole?
Can you supply any details?
Art
Old February 16th 04, 03:06 AM
Z.Z.

Art Unwin KB9MZ wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
... My favorite is 20 ft of fiberglas pole mounted on top of
20 ft of 2x4s.

Re fibre glass pole. How is it made? Solid or hollow?
Is it a vaulting sports pole that is modified? Fishing pole?
Can you supply any details?

I'd be interested in the 20 ft of 2x4. What's the best way to do
that?

73... MArk AA7TA

Old February 16th 04, 05:29 AM
Cecil Moore

Art Unwin KB9MZ wrote:
Re fibre glass pole. How is it made? Solid or hollow?

They have both solid and hollow, round and square.

Can you supply any details?

Here's where I get mine in Houston. The one I like comes in
40 foot lengths.

http://www.ryanherco.com/auto/GRPind...EC=860&GRP=120
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old February 16th 04, 05:18 PM
Mikey

Gary, you've got a lot of choices. Radio Shack, or your local TV shop, or
even Home Depot can sell you steel masts, and guy wires, as well as house
brackets. I don't recommend this, though, if you're wanting to do an
inverted vee (why would anyone want one of those, anyway?). But if you
insist on a vee, then you should probably consider either a Rohn 25/45
tower, or look at ABS/PVC 3" pipes - you can get them in 20' sections,
they're easy to join together, and they can be guyed with nylon/dacron line.

- Mike KI6PR
El Rancho R.F. CA

"Gary Boyer" wrote

Old February 17th 04, 03:25 PM
Stephen Cowell

"Mikey" wrote in message
Gary, you've got a lot of choices. Radio Shack, or your local TV shop, or
even Home Depot can sell you steel masts, and guy wires, as well as house
brackets. I don't recommend this, though, if you're wanting to do an
inverted vee (why would anyone want one of those, anyway?).

What do *you* use on 75/80m? Most folks use an
inverted vee... very easy to erect. My lot has power
lines in the back, and street in the front, and is narrow;
the vee makes a lot of sense for my installation.

Inverted vees are more omnidirectional than dipoles,
and are closer to 50ohms impedance. There is a real
bonus from not having to put up *two* supports, as
well as having the one support in the middle, where
guys (if necessary) are easier to fit on your property.

But if you
insist on a vee, then you should probably consider either a Rohn 25/45
tower, or look at ABS/PVC 3" pipes - you can get them in 20' sections,
they're easy to join together, and they can be guyed with nylon/dacron

line.

Now why would someone put up a tower just to
hold an inv. vee? And a PVC mast? I have never
seen one used... it's going to have more wind loading,
as well as taking up more sky space for the neighbors.
__
Steve
KI5YG
..