Old February 16th 04, 04:03 AM
Drink

Default Extra Class License Study Material

I've been studying for my Extra Class for a pretty long time now (Sheesh!
A couple YEARS) and understand that the question pool has changed. No, I'm
not interested in a question pool/cheat sheet. I want to make sure I
understand all the subject matter and pass the test. I have the "ARRL Extra
Class License Manual" published in 2000 and want to continue studying with
it. Here's my question.
Since the question pool has changed, has the material changed? Should I
go buy the 8th printing to make sure I have a manual that focuses on newer
requirements?
o_o_o_o
Best Regards, /| ,[_____],
Jim, WP3JQ |¯¯¯L --O|||||||O-
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)
EM60qk 30.447439N 086.628959W

Old February 16th 04, 04:40 AM
Richard Clark

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:03:50 -0600, "Drink" wrote:

I've been studying for my Extra Class for a pretty long time now (Sheesh!
A couple YEARS)

Should I
go buy the 8th printing to make sure I have a manual that focuses on newer
requirements?

Hi OM,

Relieve the stress and just take the test. You don't need a perfect
score to pass.

If you don't pass, take it again.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old February 16th 04, 05:54 AM
Ralph Mowery

"Drink" wrote in message
I've been studying for my Extra Class for a pretty long time now

(Sheesh!
A couple YEARS) and understand that the question pool has changed. No,

I'm
not interested in a question pool/cheat sheet. I want to make sure I
understand all the subject matter and pass the test. I have the "ARRL

Extra
Class License Manual" published in 2000 and want to continue studying with
it. Here's my question.
Since the question pool has changed, has the material changed? Should I
go buy the 8th printing to make sure I have a manual that focuses on newer
requirements?

Forget about learning anything from the question pool book. Just get the
new Q/A book and memorize the thing. If you want to learn things, got a
ARRL Handbook. I took the old advanced test and only read the answers once.
Took the old Extra test and never did read the Q/A book. I did have an
advantage of having a good electronics background andwas a ham for about 25
years before. Electronics don't change but the rules and frequencies do
change.

I have had to take many tests where I work for various things. One was on
refrigeration systems as required by the government. The company had about
20 of us in a cram session for a day and the next day we took the test. The
instructor made one statement the stuck with me. He said "that many of us
may know more about refrigeration than I do but we are going to learn the
answers the government wants". I know almost nothing about refrigeration,
but I did learn the rules for releasing freon in the atmosphere.

Old February 16th 04, 07:22 PM
Mike Coslo

Drink wrote:
I've been studying for my Extra Class for a pretty long time now (Sheesh!
A couple YEARS) and understand that the question pool has changed. No, I'm
not interested in a question pool/cheat sheet. I want to make sure I
understand all the subject matter and pass the test. I have the "ARRL Extra
Class License Manual" published in 2000 and want to continue studying with
it. Here's my question.
Since the question pool has changed, has the material changed? Should I
go buy the 8th printing to make sure I have a manual that focuses on newer
requirements?

You can download the question pool from ARRL:

http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/2002_Extra_Pool3_.pdf

ot text:

http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/2002_Extra_Pool3_.txt

You can also take one of the online tests at a place like qrz.com

Nothing wrong with using the question pool. If you can read a study
guide book where the answers are, it's just about the same thing. Go for
it, Drink!

p.s. unless you are into the idea of memorizing 800 some questions,
you're better off to take the online tests, then study up on the
questions you missed.

- mike KB3EIA -

Old February 16th 04, 11:27 PM
Duane Allen

Jim, WP3JQ wrote:

... Since the question pool has changed, has the material changed? Should I
go buy the 8th printing to make sure I have a manual that focuses on newer
requirements?

Jim,

Mike, KB3EIA suggests using
http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/2002_Extra_Pool3.pdf. This is a good idea.
You also will need the graphics
http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/2002_Extra_Graphics.pdf that go along with
the question pool.

Actually the questions of the pool are arranged very nicely for
organizing your studies. And they contain indication of how many
questions on the exam are related to each general area. Basically one
question from each group. If you can answer all the questions in each
group, you should be able to answer all the exam questions.

SUBELEMENT E1 -- COMMISSION'S RULES [7 Exam Questions -- 7 Groups]
Download the Part 97 rules from
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...7cfr97_02.html

SUBELEMENT E2 -- OPERATING PROCEDURES [5 Exam Questions - 5 Groups]
SUBELEMENT E3 -- RADIO WAVE PROPAGATION [3 Exam Questions - 3 Groups]
SUBELEMENT E4 -- AMATEUR RADIO PRACTICES [5 Exam Questions -- 5 Groups]
SUBELEMENT E5 -- ELECTRICAL PRINCIPLES [9 Exam Questions -- 9 Groups]
SUBELEMENT E6 -- CIRCUIT COMPONENTS [5 Exam Questions -- 5 Groups]
SUBELEMENT E7 -- PRACTICAL CIRCUITS [7 Exam Questions -- 7 Groups]
SUBELEMENT E8 -- SIGNALS AND EMISSIONS [4 Exam Questions -- 4 Groups]
SUBELEMENT E9 -- ANTENNAS [5 Exam Questions -- 5 Groups]

For your studies, since you don't want to depend on rote memory of the
answers, I suggest that you go throught all the questions as if you were
taking an open book exam. If you have a good knowledge, two hours per
day for two weeks or less should get you through the questions.

During my review, for those questions where I didn't know answer or had
forgotten the equations, I looked up the material in references. The
ARRL Handbook served as a reference for more than 80 percent of
subelements E2 through E9. A calculator that can convert between
rectangular and polar coordinates proved very useful. While most of my
review just refreshed that which I knew before, in answering questions
on Q, I actually learned something new.

Best wishes,

Duane, N6JPO

Old February 17th 04, 12:15 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Drink" wrote in message
I've been studying for my Extra Class for a pretty long time now

(Sheesh!
A couple YEARS) and understand that the question pool has changed. No,

I'm
not interested in a question pool/cheat sheet. I want to make sure I
understand all the subject matter and pass the test. I have the "ARRL

Extra
Class License Manual" published in 2000 and want to continue studying with
it. Here's my question.
Since the question pool has changed, has the material changed? Should I
go buy the 8th printing to make sure I have a manual that focuses on newer
requirements?
o_o_o_o
Best Regards, /| ,[_____],
Jim, WP3JQ |¯¯¯L --O|||||||O-
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)
EM60qk 30.447439N 086.628959W

Try the practice exams at sites like QRZ.com and I think eham has them also.

However, the license manual published in 2000 is seriously out of date.
Since that time, the material has been dramatically expanded. The material
from the old Advanced Class licensed was added into the Extra exam and there
have also been some rule changes. Most of that Advanced Class material was
NOT covered in the guide available in 2000. You've missed the window where
the Extra exam had not yet been upgraded to include that material.

So try the practice exams and see where you stand. The odds are that you
will need to study the 8th edition to successfully prepare for the test.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old February 17th 04, 03:59 PM
Vito

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:03:50 -0600, "Drink" wrote:

I've been studying for my Extra Class .....

Hi OM,

Relieve the stress and just take the test. You don't need a perfect
score to pass.

If you don't pass, take it again.....

Try a practice exam at www.qrz.com.

Understanding the answers is all well and good but more and more the "right"
answer depends on FCC and/or ARRL fiat rather than physics. Nor is that
unreasonable. Why require theory if everybody is an appliance ham anyway?
The times, they are a changing and nobody can stop it.

73, K3DWW

Old February 17th 04, 09:35 PM
Crazy George

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
I have had to take many tests where I work for various things. One was on
refrigeration systems as required by the government. The company had

about
20 of us in a cram session for a day and the next day we took the test.

The
instructor made one statement the stuck with me. He said "that many of us
may know more about refrigeration than I do but we are going to learn the
answers the government wants". I know almost nothing about refrigeration,
but I did learn the rules for releasing freon in the atmosphere.

You call it nitrogen and do it quickly when no one is looking, right?
--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address

Old February 17th 04, 10:10 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Vito" wrote in message
"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:03:50 -0600, "Drink" wrote:

I've been studying for my Extra Class .....

Hi OM,

Relieve the stress and just take the test. You don't need a perfect
score to pass.

If you don't pass, take it again.....

Try a practice exam at www.qrz.com.

Understanding the answers is all well and good but more and more the

"right"
answer depends on FCC and/or ARRL fiat rather than physics. Nor is that
unreasonable. Why require theory if everybody is an appliance ham anyway?
The times, they are a changing and nobody can stop it.

73, K3DWW

Well the hams may end up being "appliance operators" but they will each be
responsible for the quality of signal that there station puts out. The FCC
will not accept the excuse that one doesn't know how to address problems
with their station signal whether or not the material remains on the test.
They will continue to require that you comply with the rules and thus it's a
good idea to actually learn and understand the material.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old February 17th 04, 10:53 PM
W4JLE

How can you be so elitist as to expect anyone to learn anything, is it not
sufficient that they want it?

It's simply is not fair for someone to obtain somethng through effort, if
you have it and I want it, I deserve it with no additional effort on my
part.

It is Kenwood, Icom or whatever's responsibility that my station works
correctly. I can't be bothered by some stupid rules or code as in inhibits
my right to everything.

Member "No code, No test, Know Nothing International"

.com...