Old November 10th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

Default Ham radio herd mentality

On 9 Nov, 15:12, (Richard Harrison) wrote:
Art wrote:

"Most hams who strive for maximum radiation that is horizontally
polarized place the radiator parallel to the earth`s surface."

Reflection from the ionosphere nakes unpredictable changes in
polarization. Nevertheless, the angle of arrival equals the angle of
reflection at the ionosphere. Experience shows best results on a
transmission path happen when the antennas at both ends of the path are
complimentary. See E.A. Laport, "Radio Antenna Engineering" page 215,
"High Frequency Antennas".

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

I have no problem with what you state when dealing with skip,
But not all antennas use the skip phenomina such as satellite
antennas,MRO antennas or those used for weather conditions
and wind shear nd ofcourse any helical design antenna
.. What I was pointing out that if one was
looking for maximum gain of a specific structure then the
tipping angle comes into play. If you are looking for "max gain"
without reference to what type of structure of polarization
then yes, go ahead and do the standard axis parallel to the
ground method if you wish. I believe that most radio hams recognise
that a vertical polarised antenna is not the best type to use
when commnicating over ground with horizontally polarised antennas
and I suspect that even CBers are aware of that to.
Art

Old November 10th 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Art wrote:
"I believe that most hams recognise that a vertical polarised antenna is
not the best type to use when communicating over ground with
horizontally polarised antennas and I suspect that even CBers are aware
of that too."

Crosspolarization creates an extreme loss if the ionosphere isn`t in the
path constantly mixing the polarization.

For several years I worked in what was then the world`s largest
shortwave broadcasting plant. All our antennas for many bands and target
areas were horizontally polarized. I`ve visited many commercial
shortwave plants and it`s the same story. Horizontal polarization
predominates. Our antennas were designed for operation over 1-hop or
2-hop paths. They could be received with any piece of wire in any
attitude but would likely work best with a rhombic or curtain that
exactly matched the transmitting antenna but on the receiving end of the
path. Those worked very well indeed on the program relay circuits.

C.B. is supposed to be a line-of-sight service. As mobile stations which
may at any moment be located on any azimuth are involved, vertical
antennas which don`t discriminate against any azimuth are likely the
best choice for base and mobile stations which work together.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI