Old November 8th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Is this a loading coil?

Hi, I was looking up antennas on google, and found a radio shop's
antenna page. These antennas have some kind of coil welded onto them.
Are these what you would call loading coils? And by the picture I
can't tell if the coil is at the bottom, middle or top of the antenna.
Any guesses?

http://www.mpaudio1.com/cbmobileantennas.html

Jim

Old November 8th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

James barrett wrote:
Hi, I was looking up antennas on google, and found a radio shop's
antenna page. These antennas have some kind of coil welded onto them.
Are these what you would call loading coils? And by the picture I
can't tell if the coil is at the bottom, middle or top of the antenna.
Any guesses?

http://www.mpaudio1.com/cbmobileantennas.html

Presumably, the plastic looking things in the center
are insulators which makes the coils = loading coils.
But with CB antennas, one needs to be careful about
presumptions as some are designed for looks only.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old November 8th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"James barrett" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I was looking up antennas on google, and found a radio shop's
antenna page. These antennas have some kind of coil welded onto them.
Are these what you would call loading coils? And by the picture I
can't tell if the coil is at the bottom, middle or top of the antenna.
Any guesses?

http://www.mpaudio1.com/cbmobileantennas.html

Jim

"Handel 50,000 Watts"

Orchestra?
CB?

I'm just aghast.

Old November 8th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

H. Adam Stevens wrote:
"Handle 50,000 Watts" Orchestra? CB?
I'm just aghast.

You've got to understand CB lingo. That's
50,000 watts forward power (with 49,990
watts reflected power.) :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old November 8th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
t...
H. Adam Stevens wrote:
"Handle 50,000 Watts" Orchestra? CB?
I'm just aghast.

You've got to understand CB lingo. That's
50,000 watts forward power (with 49,990
watts reflected power.) :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Try quoting me correctly next time.
The word in the ad is "Handel."

Old November 8th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"James barrett" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I was looking up antennas on google, and found a radio shop's
antenna page. These antennas have some kind of coil welded onto them.
Are these what you would call loading coils? And by the picture I
can't tell if the coil is at the bottom, middle or top of the antenna.
Any guesses?

http://www.mpaudio1.com/cbmobileantennas.html

Jim

yep, and this is where you get the amps to melt them down:
http://www.davemade.com/mobile.htm

Old November 8th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

On 8 Nov, 14:37, "Dave" wrote:
"James barrett" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi, I was looking up antennas on google, and found a radio shop's
antenna page. These antennas have some kind of coil welded onto them.
Are these what you would call loading coils? And by the picture I
can't tell if the coil is at the bottom, middle or top of the antenna.
Any guesses?

http://www.mpaudio1.com/cbmobileantennas.html

Jim

yep, and this is where you get the amps to melt them down:http://www.davemade.com/mobile.htm

You may be looking at the spring between the antenna and the bumper
which allows a long whip style antenna
to bend with the wind while mobile
Art

Old November 9th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

art wrote:

yep, and this is where you get the amps to melt them down:http://www.davemade.com/mobile.htm

You may be looking at the spring between the antenna and the bumper
which allows a long whip style antenna
to bend with the wind while mobile
Art

Ohh that's a loading coil alright, seen plenty of 'em at
cb-swap/meets/shows in the midwest. The shows used to be a lot more
open, now you have to know someone or be invited.

He should be warned, those BIG mobile amps draw a lot of amps and you'll
be into adding extra batteries in the trunk and alternators under the
hood! (think ambulance/swat-team/military vehicle industrial alternators.)

Also, those BIG base amps can cause you to drop a new box into yer
house/shack to supply the power--above 5KW just gets too crazy, IMHO ...
and don't even think about it unless you have a place out in the boonies.

Anything above the smallest base amp with the big tubes is kinda
crazy--IMHO.

You want to run more power than that, think about starting up a real
am/fm broadcast station!

Regards,
JS
Old November 9th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith wrote:
art wrote:

[...]

Hi, I'm not really sure what all of that means. I'm learning about
antennas, and I've been doing a lot of reading on the web until I can
get a copy of the ARRL Antenna book. I'm learning the terminology and
the other day read a thread about loading coils. I had no idea what that
was, so I went in search of an explanation. So, when I saw the radio
shop selling antennas with funny looking coils I wondered if that's what
a loading coil looked like. But I had expected a loading coil to be at
the bottom of the antenna, these looked like they might be in the middle
of the antenna. Does that even work?

BTW, I enjoy reading old threads from Roy and Cecil. A ton of great
information there. I have learned alot, and have much more to learn. I
want to try to make a 2 meter yagi (3 elements) this weekend and
experiment a little. Maybe I can finally hit that repeater 30 miles
away. ;-)

Jim

Old November 9th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

James Barrett wrote:

[...]

Well, that page deals with bootleg/illegal cb equipment. However, years
ago I bought a 1KW+ dave made amp which had been modified a bit and
covered 40-10m, it worked quite well, I drove it with a small homemade
xmitter I bought at a swap.

In addition to the material you are getting from the arrl
material--loads of amateurs have put together web pages dealing with
antennas/amps/equip. Most provide an email address and most are only
too glad to advise/help. And of course, you will find everyone here
interested in antennas and can share good advice, and you are quite
correct--Cecil, Roy and others have a LOT of good knowledge on amateur
antennas ...

varying effects on radiation pattern, matching requirements, etc.
EZNEC, Roys little program makes it a snap on graphing what to expect ...

Keep reading/studying, you'll get hooked and grab a license!

Regards,
JS

Most accurate loading coil calculator on the web ON4AA Antenna 2 July 29th 07 05:04 PM
40 Mtr loading coil for CA-HV Nick Antenna 0 March 24th 07 08:56 AM
Antron + loading coil [email protected] CB 0 December 9th 04 06:44 PM
Radial loading coil Ron Antenna 4 September 14th 03 03:10 PM