Old December 9th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default noise-to-signal ratio

When I entered rec.radio.amateur.antenna this morning there were 116
new posts in the ng. My filters killed 98 of them outright.
The preponderance of them were _not_ spam.

I've no doubt the ng has already lost a number of valuable contributors
as a result of this wretched state of affairs.

I can remember 8-10 years ago when this ng was an active, on-topic,
vibrant place for gentlemen (and ladies) to discuss antennas.

Sad.....

Followup to alt.test if you have any hope of _me_ seeing it.

Jonesy W3DHJ
Old December 10th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

There are still worthwhile folks here.

The draw of the internet and cell phones has taken its toll on the numbers
of ham radio operators; ironically, the number of newsgroup spammers and
trolls may lead some of the ex-hams back to the radio.

Russ
W6OHM

Old December 10th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

998cc wrote:
There are still worthwhile folks here.

The draw of the internet and cell phones has taken its toll on the numbers
of ham radio operators; ironically, the number of newsgroup spammers and
trolls may lead some of the ex-hams back to the radio.

The internet is not for children. If you don't have a decent spam
filter on your email--shame on you. If you don't have a decent spam
filter on your newsreader, shame on you.

If you think your definition of a troll is everyone elses' think
again--some define troll as, "Does not agree with me."

Go figure ...

Regards,
JS
Old December 10th 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Dec 9, 8:03 pm, John Smith wrote:
998cc wrote:
There are still worthwhile folks here.

The draw of the internet and cell phones has taken its toll on the numbers
of ham radio operators; ironically, the number of newsgroup spammers and
trolls may lead some of the ex-hams back to the radio.

The internet is not for children. If you don't have a decent spam
filter on your email--shame on you. If you don't have a decent spam
filter on your newsreader, shame on you.

If you think your definition of a troll is everyone elses' think
again--some define troll as, "Does not agree with me."

Go figure ...

Regards,
JS

I spent the weekend setting poles in 24 degree temps and fresh snow
and running wire to construct two new Beverage antennas (800
footers)... Not all done yet, but getting there... My S/N ratio is
perfect...

denny / k8do
Old December 10th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Denny wrote:

I spent the weekend setting poles in 24 degree temps and fresh snow
and running wire to construct two new Beverage antennas (800
footers)... Not all done yet, but getting there... My S/N ratio is
perfect...

denny / k8do

When I fully retire, wife and I agree we need to leave the
Land-of-the-Loonies (California.)

Be nice to have a space to have some REAL antennas back!

Envy you, you must be in "Gods' Country!"

Warm regards,
JS

Old December 11th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

998cc wrote:
There are still worthwhile folks here.

The draw of the internet and cell phones has taken its toll on the numbers
of ham radio operators; ironically, the number of newsgroup spammers and
trolls may lead some of the ex-hams back to the radio.

The internet is not for children. If you don't have a decent spam
filter on your email--shame on you. If you don't have a decent spam
filter on your newsreader, shame on you.

If you think your definition of a troll is everyone elses' think
again--some define troll as, "Does not agree with me."

indeed that is true

Go figure ...

Regards,
JS

Old December 11th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Dec 9, 10:46 am, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
When I entered rec.radio.amateur.antenna this morning there were 116
new posts in the ng. My filters killed 98 of them outright.
The preponderance of them were _not_ spam.

I've no doubt the ng has already lost a number of valuable contributors
as a result of this wretched state of affairs.

I can remember 8-10 years ago when this ng was an active, on-topic,
vibrant place for gentlemen (and ladies) to discuss antennas.

same could be said of RRAP too unforunately Ham in general rewaded the
harrassers and forgers

Old December 11th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

an_old_friend wrote:

You sick b*st*ard, you are the prime example of a mis-guided, depraved,
low-life scum-sucker which he speaks of--get thee behind me satan! LOL

You silly gay perverted b*st*rd!

Disgusted,
JS
Old December 11th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

an_old_friend wrote:

Silly, sick, homosexual FREAK!

PLONK!

Disgusted with your mere existance!,
JS
Old December 11th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

When I fully retire, wife and I agree we need to leave the
Land-of-the-Loonies (California.)

Be nice to have a space to have some REAL antennas back!

Envy you, you must be in "Gods' Country!"

Warm regards,
JS

Well, far enough past the 'sub' urban, half acre, country estates,
that I can have/afford some scrub brush land...

It was a deal made in heaven...
A happy seller who openly snickered in my face as he pocketed the
check as he slicked the dumb city boy out of $900 an acre for swamp
and brush with a big mud hole...
A happy buyer who snickered silently as he got a prime antenna farm
for $900 an acre...

Cheers ... denny / k8do