Old January 18th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default folding a dipole in half

If you are having trouble with neighbours, then make a wooden antenna
using brush-handles, or even a fishing pole. Let the neighbours see it
and make a fool of themselves when they accuse you of disturbance to
the TV sets. Then you can use the real antenna another day without
fear. ;-)

Or get a Ham buddy to make a QSO on your station while you are over
at the neighbors! "How can it be my station when I'm standing here in
front of you?? hehe

Must remember that one :-)
Thanks!

Old January 19th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roy Lewallen wrote:
"Thus we see that the (quarter wavelength) folded dipole exhibits the
qualities of a shunt-tuned circuit and has a terminal resistance value
Ra of high magnitude."

Yes, my copy of Bailey says the same. I got the 6000 ohms from page 509
in the catalog section where large diameter rods were used for the 200
MHz antenna.

Looking at Bailey`s page 508, Fig. 8-14, it seems a 1/2-wavelength
perimeter can be opened into a loop instead of a folded dipole and iits
radiation resistannce drops to about 5 ohms. This is a mixed blessing
because as Roy says, "There`s no free lunch". A loop configuration does
not lower the loss resistance in the conductor and this will extract a
larger percentage of the energy fed to the conductor with a lower
radiation resistance.

A closed loop has an inductive reactance at frequencies below first
resonance (when the wire perimeter is almost 1/2-wavelength). This
reactance can be compensated with a simple low loss series capacitor. It
is unfortunate to not have room for a straight radiator.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

I'M HALF HOG Lllloyd DaViEs Policy 2 October 2nd 06 08:21 PM
folding an antenna leg Richard Clark Antenna 0 June 9th 05 09:20 PM
half-wave dipole in the forest Mark T. Kennedy Antenna 86 October 1st 04 11:09 PM
folding antenna, can it be refolded cme Antenna 4 February 23rd 04 01:33 AM