Old February 10th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Aluminum foil capacitance hat

Old February 10th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Aluminum foil is fine for the purpose, electrically, but I think you'll
have a dickens of the time maintaining good contact to it. You might
even end up creating a rectifying junction which could generate
harmonics when transmitting and intermod when receiving.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

MGFoster wrote:

I've made some Al foil cap. hats for a 34ish foot linearly loaded dipole
(based on NN0F's antenna in the ARRL Antenna book, 21st ed, p. 6-35 - he
used 6ft wires as cap. hats and 450 ohm ladder wire as the radiator, w/
coax feed). I was wondering if Al foil has enough "umpffh" to act as
cap. hat material?

Cap hat construction: 45 inch cardboard rolls wrapped in 1-1/2 layers
of Al foil (shiny side out). 300 ohm twin-lead (the ant. radiator)
leads soldered to copper tape, which was stuck to the Al foil (I check
for continuity between the foil & the copper tape & between leads & Al
foil they were OK). Final version wrapped in clear packing tape.

I attached this ant. to my Elecraft K1 & got 4.7:1 SWR on 80 meters
(where I expected it to resonate). On 15 meters got 1.2:1 SWR. Ant. is
abt 45 ft above ground, fed by RG58 coax. Ground is concrete.
Actually, the ant. is on my apartment bldg roof. That roof is covered
in a silver paint or metallic weather-proofing (I don't know). The
ground surrounding the apartment bldg is concrete and asphalt. I always
select "Very poor - cities, industrial" as a ground description when
using the EZNEC pgm.

Thanks for any comments.

Old February 11th 08, 05:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Old February 11th 08, 11:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

MGFoster wrote:

What do you mean "maintaining good contact to it"? The copper tape
adheres well & doesn't move. The foil is secured in place by the
packing tape (it completely covers all of the foil surface and copper
tape connections). The tubes propeller a bit in the wind, but I don't
think that causes any disruptive flexing of the foil; at least not
enough to cause the soldered/taped connection to break/discontinue.

I couldn't xmt on 40M cause of the high SWR, but I could rcv &, except
for the noisy conditions, it sounded fine.

Thanks for your comments.

The instant aluminum comes in contact with air, an oxide layer forms on
it. The oxide layer is a hard, brittle ceramic which is an excellent
insulator. Making electrical contact to aluminum requires breaking
through the oxide to the metal underneath. This causes broken pieces of
the oxide to dig into the aluminum. If pressure is maintained and no air
ever strikes the aluminum again, the contact will remain sound. That is,
in fact, how aluminum house wiring is (properly) handled -- a high
pressure contact, with a generous amount of grease to prevent contact
with air.

If your contact jiggles a bit in the wind or for any other reason, the
physical contact in various places will be broken at times. Each time,
more oxide is formed and, when pressure is reapplied, it breaks and gets
pushed into the aluminum. Eventually, you have a surface that's mostly
shards of oxide and little or no metallic aluminum. (This is also why
tin plated contacts always inevitably fail.)

In addition, copper and aluminum form an electrolytic cell. So if any
moisture is present, corrosion of the joint will occur and contact will
eventually become bad or lost altogether.

That's what I mean by the difficulty of "maintaining good contact". Your
system will work fine. For a while.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old February 11th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

MGFoster wrote:

[...]

What is the antenna length?

Now as for Al foil as an antenna construction material:

It works electrically, but isn't very strong. Your cardboard tubes
aren't terribly weatherproof either. You might be able to shellac them
heavily. But still it isn't a very good choice.

Making contact with the aluminum could be an issue. Tubular aluminum is
used on antennas, but the connection is usually helped by corrosion
inhibitors, and nuts/bolts with washers to help "dig in" to the AL. Your
thin foil will deform at best, and more likely rip with that sort of
treatment.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Old February 11th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 03:01:38 -0800, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

That is,
in fact, how aluminum house wiring is (properly) handled -- a high
pressure contact, with a generous amount of grease to prevent contact
with air.

Hi Roy,

If I recall history and physics correctly (and simultaneously), house
wiring failed through cold flow, a property of aluminum to relax under
a one-time application of pressure (impulse rather than sustained
pressure) and thus the joint failed. The failure raised resistance,
resistance raised temperature, temperature raised flames.... no more
common use of aluminum in house wiring.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old February 11th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Richard Clark wrote:

Hi Roy,

If I recall history and physics correctly (and simultaneously), house
wiring failed through cold flow, a property of aluminum to relax under
a one-time application of pressure (impulse rather than sustained
pressure) and thus the joint failed. The failure raised resistance,
resistance raised temperature, temperature raised flames.... no more
common use of aluminum in house wiring.

When I put in a new service entrance in 1979, it was after the problems
with ordinary aluminum house wiring were discovered and it was no longer
being used. But the service entrance cable I got was aluminum. The
service box connectors are marked as approved for both aluminum and
copper wiring, and have a compression fitting which doesn't give the
aluminum anywhere to flow. Generous application of NoAlOx or a similar
grease was also required for proper installation, so that's what I did.
It's been completely trouble-free for nearly 30 years now. So it was,
and is, possible to use aluminum wire. But it has to be done correctly,
with due regard to its vagaries.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old February 11th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Old February 11th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Old February 12th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Richard Clark wrote:

[...]

The problem with AL house wire is that the pure Al that the wire is made
of will flow under pressure. When it was used with Cu wire switches and
outlets the attachment points could not maintain the pressure to insure
adequate contact.
At work one day the personnel department secretary requested one of the
company two way radios for her desk. I installed a Motorola HT220 in a
desk charger and plugged it into the outlet next to her desk. That night
the mobile home trailer that we used for personnel burnt to the ground.
To this day I don't know if there was a connection. ;^)... However, the
radio was a mess. The trailer was manufactured during the copper
shortage that necessitated the use of Al wire.

Dave Nagel WD9BDZ