Old February 23rd 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default tv ant look alike? LP

ml wrote:
isn't the digital channles a different freq here in nyc we mostly
use channels 2-13 i understood the new digital channels to be of
a diff freq and band i dunno

Any TV channel can be used for analog or digital.
As of early 2009, all channels will be digital.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old February 23rd 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article , ml wrote:

isn't the digital channles a different freq here in nyc we mostly
use channels 2-13 i understood the new digital channels to be of
a diff freq and band i dunno

All of the TV frequencies fall into one of three ranges: VHF low-band
(traditionally channels 2 - 6), VHF high band (channels 7 - 13), and
UHF (channels 14 on up).

During the big digital-TV transition, the upper end of the UHF
frequency range (700-800 MHz) is going away entirely. It's being
auctioned off or allocated to commercial and public-safety interests.

During the transition period, the full-power TV stations have each
been allocated a second channel in the remaining portion of the UHF
frequency band, which they've been using for their ATSC (digital-TV)
signals... these are on UHF channels which had not previously been
used in the station's service area. The stations have continued to
transmit NTSC analog on their original frequencies.

It's important to understand that with digital TV, the "station
number" displayed on the TV, and to which you tune, doesn't
necessarily correspond to the actual RF frequency.

During the final switchover, each station will either:

- Drop its old NTSC frequency entirely, and move its full-power
transmission to its current (transition) ATSC frequency, or

- Stop using its ATSC transition frequency, and switch its current
NTSC transmitter over to ATSC digital, or

- Drop its old NTSC frequency, and start transmitting ATSC digital on
a newly-allocated frequency.

My impression is that most of the stations now on channels 14 on up
(UHF) will be doing the second of these. Most of the stations now on
VHF will do the first of these - they'll give up their VHF frequency
and move to UHF.

There *are* a few stations which will keep using their VHF frequencies
(channels 2 - 13) and just switch them over to full-power digital
operation. Most of these are in the VHF highband (7-13), but there
are a small handful in the lowband (2-6) which will stay there.

In many areas of the country, a good UHF-only antenna is all you will
need for digital TV, after The Big Day. This is fortunate for the
many people who have bought "digital TV" antennas - most of these are
UHF-only.

In urban areas of the country, quite a few people will need antennas
which handle both UHF, and the highband part of the VHF spectrum.

In a very few urban areas, people will need antennas with
full-frequency TV-band coverage (VHF low, VHF high, and UHF) in order
to get all of the channels.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old February 23rd 08, 11:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
ml ml is offline

In article ,
(Dave Platt) wrote:

In article , ml wrote:

[...]

thanks very much, i was a little confused guess the only thing that
remain to be seen, is if once all digitial if i'll create more/less
or same 'TVI" i presume less I don't really give any now on most
occasions except close to 100w or 50w 2m/440 as my antennas are
close to the tv ant
Old March 3rd 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave Platt wrote:
It's important to understand that with digital TV, the "station
number" displayed on the TV, and to which you tune, doesn't
necessarily correspond to the actual RF frequency.

I just got my first HDTV. My rabbit ears work just
fine on the HDTV signals. Here in Tyler, TX, I get
analog channels 7, 19, 51, & 56. I now get additional
digital channels 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 19.1, 19.2, 22.3,
51.1, 51.2, 56.1, & 56.2. Incidentally, 7.1 is VHF
Channel 10.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old February 24th 08, 11:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:50:46 +0000, ml regurgitated the following

my first thought as far as a look alike was to a LP , just
wondering of all of the antennas out there anyone know which specific
brand might come closest to looking like a regular tv antenna?

Any log periodic would probably fool most folks. You might even get
away with putting up a 80m-10m LP, and just say it's for big screen tvs

Alex/AB2RC