Old March 4th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default WiFi Link from top of tower

Jerry wrote:
If this was *my* project, I'd install a Wireless Bridge at the top of the
tower and supply it with both a CAT 5 cable and a pair of wires to power it.
I'd also have a Router at the ground for connection to the LAN.
What would be the problem with installing a Wireless Switch atop the tower
with it's CAT 5 and power wires to allow the ground based computer with its
RJ 45 port to "see" the signals from the nearby wireles sites? Wouldnt
that allow using only one CAT 5 device? Then, it is possible to connect to
the Internet (thru any WiFi site you are able to receive and enter) with
only one Wireless device.
I I thought it was possible to connect to the Internet with only one
Wireless device. And, a CAT 5 cable device is far better than a USB cable
for long cable runs.

You can also create a "MESH" network where the router acts as an access
point relaying data between nodes. I have a Linksys access point that
will do it with others of the same model, and the famous Linksys
WRTG54-L running one of the Linux distributions for it (for example
Tomato) can do it.

Then all you need is a router running a similar system near the
base of the tower, and one on top of it.

Using a gain antenna is also possible to increase your range, but
you have to be careful about gain. In the U.S. you can increase
the output power 10 times (from 100mw EIRP to 1W EIRP) for mobile
devices (up to 4W EIRP for directional point to point links).

Here in Israel, there is a limit of 100mW EIRP, no matter what,
even for licensed hams (25W limit for satellite use only).

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old March 4th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jerry wrote:
"Highland Ham" wrote in message

Jeff wrote:

In that case you need 2 routers ,R-1 in top of the mast with a
(sensitive) internal or external antenna having one of its ethernet
ports connected to an ethernet port of the second wireless router R-2
serving as a wireless bridge and fitted lower on the mast ,having a not
so sensitive antenna but sufficient for communication with any wireless
router or adapter inside the house/shack.
R-2 should be set to communicate on an 'extremity' channel say channel
13 ,which will hopefully not be needed by R-1. This to avoid that the 2
routers 'bite' each other .

A (wireless) router is a bi-directional input-output device .
When the wireless side is receiving it passes the information on to the
ethernet port serving as output and vice versa.

Hope the above makes sense

Surely all you need is a wireless card in the pc that you wish to connect
to the router on the mast. If you happen to have a router in the house
as well it is no different to your next door neighbour having a WiFi
network. You just connect to whichever router you wish to.

=================
As long as you use the 2 routers connected with their ethernet ports ,with
each router on a different Wifi channel

One outdoor router on top of the mast won't be enough. When that router
receives its WiFi signal from a remote station ,it outputs that signal to
its ethernet port(s) , so in order for the indoor PC with a WiFi port to
receive that signal ,you need a WiFi bridge eg another wireless router
connected piggy-back with the one on top of the mast ; there is no escape
from it.

In the end it will highly likely be easier and more cost-effective to run
an ethernet cat5 cable from the router on top of the mast to the indoor PC
along the router's low voltage power supply cable , of course unless the
router on top of the mast has its own local battery nearby which is being
charged by a local solar panel , doing away with (long) cables altogether.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Hi Frank

I'd like to learn more about WiFi DX. So, this post is a request for
information

If this was *my* project, I'd install a Wireless Bridge at the top of the
tower and supply it with both a CAT 5 cable and a pair of wires to power it.

I'd use PowerOverEthernet (PoE).. runs the power up the Cat 5, and it's
already galvanically isolated. Off the shelf adapters to feed the power
in and take it out.

Old March 4th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Jerry wrote:

[...]

If you want omni for the top of tower, you can put the gain antenna down
at the shack. 10-20dBi is easy to come by, and gives you a factor of
3-10 range improvement.
Old March 4th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
"Jeff" wrote:

Surely all you need is a wireless card in the pc that you wish to connect to
the router on the mast. If you happen to have a router in the house as well
it is no different to your next door neighbour having a WiFi network. You
just connect to whichever router you wish to.

Jeff

Usually, WiFi Routers come with firmware, that only allow the RF Port to
communicate with the Ethernet Lan and Wan Ports, and not with other
connected client devices. This can be modified via a Open Source
firmware revision, but is NOT the usual case.
I for one, use a Buffalo AirStation G HP at the top of the tower,
feeding a 24dbi Panel Antenna. It is powered via the extra two Pairs in
the Ethernet cable, via a really nice little 9-18 Vdc Input/5 Vdc Output
Dc/Dc Switching Power Supply. This setup also has a really nice little
Trendnet IP400W Pan/Tilt/Zoom WebCam that is also connected to the Lan
side of the Router, and provides a easy way to picture the neighborhood.
Both devices, when operating, draw about 700ma and the whole system is
powered by a 12Vdc Solar charged 8D Battery, and the Dc/Dc takes care of
the voltage drop encountered in using the 24 Gauge wires in the Ethernet
Cable run of 100 ft.

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply
Old March 5th 08, 09:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jimmie D" wrote in message

"Jerry" wrote in message

" W4NNG" wrote in message
news
Thanks for all the suggestions

Don't understand the '... second wireless adapter ...' suggestion?
where's
it get power?

I've got an EUB-362EXT adapter. (has an SMA connect) Was the longest
range
device I could find. Antenna will be connected directly to it, rather
than
using the adapter dipole inserted inside a reflector

FWIW - The EUB adapter significantly out-performs a low cost linksys
usb
adapter both using their own antenna's. Parked at same location
linksys
found 2 WAP's the EUB found 8

Hi Bob

It would seem that Frank's (KN6WH) suggestion about using a Bridge or
Router, or Switch avoids alot of the USB limitations. Have you tried
using a CAT 5 device located at the top of the tower?
I thought the CAT 5 devices were far better than USB for remote WiFi.
But, if you have data / experience that shows otherwise, I'd like to
learn more about why the USB is chosen.

Jerry KD6JDJ

Placing a wireless router at the top of the tower is not a solution. I am
assuming of course that the OP wants to connect to other wireless routers.
I wanted to do something like this and all the computer tech people I
asked said wireless routers dont talk to each other wirelessly.

Jimmie

Hi Jimmie

I am not experienced enough to contradict computer techs. But, I have
used a *CAT 5 connected Wireless Bridge* to connect my computer to the
Internet by wirelessly connecting to a distant Wireless Router. Maybe I'm
using the wrong terminology. But, I want to indicate to the OP that using
CAT 5 rather than USB can allow the "wireless device" to be located far away
from the computer.

Jerry

Old March 5th 08, 12:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Placing a wireless router at the top of the tower is not a solution. I am
assuming of course that the OP wants to connect to other wireless routers. I
wanted to do something like this and all the computer tech people I asked
said wireless routers dont talk to each other wirelessly.

================================
Correct ! and because of that you would need a wireless bridge
operating on a different RF channel than the wireless router which
'senses the neighbourhood'. To prevent clashes the wireless bridge
should operate on a channel not used by the other wireless router.
All of this refers to standard consumer type of routers.

Whatever , a single router connected by cat5 cable to the monitoring PC
indoors seems to be the most cost effective solution.
Cat5 can be laid underground when run in plastic water pipe ,together
with the power supply wiring for the router.

For the past 16 years our satellite dish is located away from the house.
Its 75 Ohms coax runs through 20mm OD polyethylene water pipe (blue
colour , as is nowadays standard in Europe)

Where the cable(s) leave the water pipe ,the pipe opening should point
downwards such that water ingress is prevented. The exits should be
left open to prevent condensation inside the water pipe.
I have never had a problem with any type of cable when run underground
this way.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH
Old March 5th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

" W4NNG" wrote in message
[...]

Depends on the particular wireless box. Some D-Link boxes, for
instance, have a point-to-point or point-to-multi-point capability.

Also, if the box at the top of the tower is an access point in
infrastructure mode, it essentially repeats packets that it receives.
This is so that two computers that are connected to the AP can talk to
each other.
Old March 7th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hello everyone

Like Mike, I also have the MFJ-1800. And boy was I surprised when none of
my shack full of type N to SMA adapters didn't work. I can't believe they
reversed the polarity of the center pins for WIFI SMA connectors. Urrrrgh
!!!

The router discussion is interesting I need to keep it simple. Of my
various goals one of them is to passively receive signals. At least at my
level of knowledge it will be best if the computer links directly to the
adapter.

Haven't had the chance to look around but I do like the Ethernet cable up
the tower suggestion. Is there a particularly good adapter for doing this?

"amdx" wrote in message

" W4NNG" wrote in message
Hello fellow HRO's

I've got a 50ft tower w/ rotor. Been thinking mounting a 2.4 Ghz WiFi
antenna on the rotor to see what it picks up in way of WAP / WLAN's

To get around cable loss problem was going to put a USB adapter at antenna
then run USB cable up tower. Have tested USB at ~ 5X it's spec'd range
but
suspect the 60 - 70' run will be way too long.

Anyone know of a way to 'remodulate' so to speak to 802.11 wirelessly link
the output from the antenna mounted adapter back to computer?

Thanks for any thoughts

Bob

W4NNG

Hi Bob,
I have done something similar to what you want to do. I picked up MFJs yagi
antenna MFJ-1800
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/man/pdf/MFJ-1800.pdf
and a $13.00 wireless USB adapter. I adapted an N connector to the wireless
USB adapter.
(a little troublesome, large connector, small adapter) I then connected the
N connector/adapter assy
to the yagi. I mounted the whole thing in a 4" pvc pipe. I purchased two 15
ft USB male to female cords.
I found I had intermitent performance, The problem was 30 ft of USB cords,
I cut back to one 15ft cord
and the ass'y works wonderfully. I can see over 20 wifi signals from where
I'm at, only 3 to 4 are strong
signals (over 50%, whatever that means). While trying to solve the
intermitent performance I did find
there are cords available with amplifiers built inline to extend the usable
USB cable length. I did not try
these I just moved my yagi. The others are way ahead of my knowledge
regarding the wireless router and
it's operation on top of your tower.
Mike

Old March 7th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

W4NNG wrote:
I surprised when none of
my shack full of type N to SMA adapters didn't work.

None of your adapters didn't work? Isn't that a
good thing? :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old March 7th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hello everyone

Like Mike, I also have the MFJ-1800. And boy was I surprised when none of
my shack full of type N to SMA adapters didn't work. I can't believe they
reversed the polarity of the center pins for WIFI SMA connectors. Urrrrgh
!!!

The FCC requires that Part 15 WiFi devices, having detachable
antennas, *must* use connectors which are not the common, generic,
off-the-shelf standard types.

This was done in order to (try to) (help) enforce the rule that Part
15 radios, and their antennas, must be certificated as a complete
system (radio + antenna), by the manufacturer or by an organization
which does the installation.

Manufacturers of such devices can perform the testing certification
with several different types of antennas, and using such antennas with
that particular device is legal (since they've been certificated as a
system).

Plugging an arbitrarily-chosen antenna into a WiFi radio (access point
or client) will void the Part 15 certification of the device, and it
becomes technically illegal to operate it. That's why a whole bunch
of nonstandard (reverse-polarity, reverse-thread, or otherwise altered
and perverted) connectors are used... the manufacturers are *trying*
to deter people from "one from column A, one from column B"
interplugging, because that's what the FCC has instructed them to do.

The rule gets about as much respect as laws against jaywalking,
littering, or cussing in South Pasadena during the first week of
March, but it's on the books ne'ertheless.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO