Old June 2nd 11, 10:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default WiFi Link from top of tower

Just another one to break.

The rule gets about as much respect as laws against
jaywalking, littering, or cussing in South Pasadena during
the first week of March, but it's on the books
ne'ertheless.

--
Quote "Get SSL VPN services now, KEEP Government OUT of your
business... "
Old June 3rd 11, 12:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Like Mike, I also have the MFJ-1800. And boy was I
surprised when none of my shack full of type N to SMA
adapters didn't work. I can't believe they reversed the
polarity of the center pins for WIFI SMA connectors.
Urrrrgh

That's due to an FCC requirement. The FCC says (or used to say) that
the antennas on consumer-type Part 15 wireless gear had to be "not
commonly available" or words to that effect. Reverse-polarity
gendering, reversed threads, etc. are all common techniques... and of
course, as soon as one is used, it rapidly becomes so popular that it
ceases to be "not commonly available" :-)

The specific intent was to try to discourage consumers from changing
the antennas on WiFi gear. The certification of WiFi equipment is
done on the system as a whole (radio + antenna), and changing to a
higher-gain antenna automatically invalidates the certification and
makes the WiFi system technically illegal to operate (at least, until
it's re-tested and re-certificated with the new antenna).

If I recall correctly, the FCC modified the rules a year or two ago.
A system's manufacturer is now allowed to test their system with one
or more types of antennas, having different amounts of gain, and
publish the gain number for the highest-gain antenna with which the
system has been successfully certificated. It's then legal for an
installer to substitute a different antenna than the original... as
long as the substituted antenna has the same, or lower gain than the
highest-gain antenna that the manufacturer has certificated.

These rules are, I suspect, honored far more in the breach than in the
observance... and there seem to be very few manufacturers who go to
the trouble of publicizing the "highest-gain antenna allowed with this
system" information. That's probably going to be done only for
high-grade commercial gear, not consumer-grade routers or the like.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old June 3rd 11, 11:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 06/02/2011 12:36 PM, moronsbegone wrote:

If I could find a lower end name "Repeater" capable AP point
unit like a NetGear or similar and program it to autologon to
unprotected WiFi access points That would Kick butt.
Thats called promiscuous mode but has moral issues.

Hello, and moral issues aside for the moment, you'll probably discover
very quickly that unlike a few years ago most, if not all, Wi-Fi access
points/cable routers in your area these days are probably protected
either by WEP (old) or WPA-2. (A Wi-Fi laptop with a network scan
utility will usually indicate protected/open networks). And even many
of those with older equipment have gotten wise.

The newer boxes usually have the protection turned on out-of-the-box
with a password (changeable by the user/administrator). Older boxes had
WEP turned off by default and a lot of users just plugged them in and
never bothered to read the user guide and/or turn on the protection.
Sincerely, and 73s from N4GGO,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail:
Old June 3rd 11, 11:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 06/03/2011 06:43 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:
[...]

Hello, and I forgot to add that if your objective is to access public
Wi-Fi (which is usually unprotected) at a distance then have at it.
Sort of like stationary war driving. My previous comments pertained to
accessing private/home Wi-Fi nets. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail:
Old June 3rd 11, 12:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hello once more. One last thing to add is that even if one installs a
high-gain Wi-Fi antenna, depending on the distance to the source, you
probably won't have clear line-of-sight and subject to multipath
problems. The network might show a "4 green bars" signal strength one
moment and be yellow, red, or out the next). Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail:

Old June 5th 11, 04:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"J.B. Wood" wrote in
:

[...]

Give me 5 minutes and "Back-Track-3" and I can crack a wep key.
google backtrack 3 and version 4 and weep!!
Old June 5th 11, 04:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"J.B. Wood" wrote in
:

Hello once more. One last thing to add is that even if one
installs a high-gain Wi-Fi antenna, depending on the
distance to the source, you probably won't have clear
line-of-sight and subject to multipath problems. The
network might show a "4 green bars" signal strength one
moment and be yellow, red, or out the next). Sincerely,

That is most likely where my problem is. Remember this is just
a redneck style Git'r done solution till my commercial one
arrives, a vertical anttenna in front of a dish has got all
ears and no mouth written all over it.
Now if I was using a feed horn [cantenna type] well that would
prove tx power and your sugestion as well is the culprit, we
know the clutter thing is in there because this whole shmoosh
is indoors. I hate running high power $$$ and frequent
burnouts of the finals. I like to think a half watt is all
I'll need. Now if I can get my TX to look like a Laser beam
hey hey.

Seriously check this out;
www.youtube.com/watch?v=piFISJKyV6c
www.youtube.com/watch?v=weEZtBTfEMU

The software is free but I preffer the USB dongle os
running BackTrack 3 It's a bit simpler, and you need 2 wifi
dongles, prefferably the Athros as suggested, II use them on
other versions of Linux too, they seem to be the best for
hackin around, they are permiscuos and can Inject packets to
an already busy data streem thanx to the MAC address
spoofabilty they have.
You can also use this software to turn a laptop with two
dongles into a covert repeater. But expect downtime with that
idea.
You can Cache everybodys WEP keys buy faking your IP as one of
the AP points in the Air. Send all 'packets copy' to a data
BIN folder and run the desypher software built in to get the
wep, wpk and such. Even SSL ports. It's my job to keep these
script kiddies out of my network, I have to know this stuff.
Our wireless Credit card system is constantly under attack
by NIX kids [wannabe hacker teens running linux] As long as I
can crack it, they will not use it, it's sitting there off
line collecting dust per order ME!! WEP is not safe neither
is WPK, though a data base dictionary service is needed for
WPK sometimes for 25 bucks these hackers will take your glop
of ssl data and within 1 day send you the security key.
This is the nightmare behind CLOUD computing, the access to
several hundred micro proccessors to crack a key is now CHEAP,
I use 40 lab machines to convert and crunch a DVD 2 hour video
in ten minutes with cloud computing software. It's realy FARM
computing not quite the same as the term local ads are running
such as google is now cloud computing.
Unfortunatly Criminal minds are more intrested in this more
then we are.

Old June 5th 11, 05:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"amdx" wrote in
:

" W4NNG" wrote in message
Hello fellow HRO's

I've got a 50ft tower w/ rotor. Been thinking mounting
a 2.4 Ghz WiFi antenna on the rotor to see what it picks
up in way of WAP / WLAN's

To get around cable loss problem was going to put a USB
adapter at antenna then run USB cable up tower. Have
tested USB at ~ 5X it's spec'd range but
suspect the 60 - 70' run will be way too long.

Anyone know of a way to 'remodulate' so to speak to 802.11
wirelessly link the output from the antenna mounted
adapter back to computer?

Thanks for any thoughts
A programmable router would be better, especially one that

has a Linux os and is Hackable. Here is an interesting video
that makes a run of the mill Lynksys 80 dollar router do what
a [600 dollar] Cisco AirNet 2400 can, Repeater and all, they
hack the OS and install their free to public home brew
features.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08eVqpPVGiU

So much for spending 600 bucks if it works, you'll be under a
hundred. Only 235 milliwatts max though.
Personally I am lazy and employed; I would just go out and buy
a Cisco 1/2 watt or other top end product and be done with it.
Can't use a whole watt if you woryy about FCC dudes lurking
around, that and a 30 db gain your way over limit.
Too bad these little routers do not support PoE [Power over
eithernet, you can use a power injector [40 bucks] to send the
power to the router through two of the 6 conductors of the
CAT5 cable.

For now just run a cat 5 cable and low voltage power supply
bell wire to the router witch HAS WiFi 2 channel built in.
Check and make sure there are External Antenna outputs on this
otherwise walk away from it. Soldering 2.4 GHz equipment
___s#$ks. If I didn't own a 1300 dollar wire bonder unit I
wouldn't try it, but fortunately I do and the job still stinks
, If your not a neat freak with connections you have sporadic
rf leaking everywhere.

Bob

W4NNG

Hi Bob,
I have done something similar to what you want to do. I
picked up MFJs yagi
antenna MFJ-1800
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/man/pdf/MFJ-1800.pdf
and a $13.00 wireless USB adapter. I adapted an N connector
to the wireless USB adapter.
(a little troublesome, large connector, small adapter) I
then connected the N connector/adapter assy
to the yagi. I mounted the whole thing in a 4" pvc pipe. I
purchased two 15 ft USB male to female cords.
I found I had intermitent performance, The problem was 30
ft of USB cords,
I cut back to one 15ft cord
and the ass'y works wonderfully. I can see over 20 wifi
signals from where I'm at, only 3 to 4 are strong
signals (over 50%, whatever that means). While trying to
solve the intermitent performance I did find
there are cords available with amplifiers built inline to
extend the usable USB cable length. I did not try
these I just moved my yagi. The others are way ahead of my
knowledge regarding the wireless router and
it's operation on top of your tower.
Mike

Old June 5th 11, 05:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

" W4NNG" wrote in
:

Hello everyone

Like Mike, I also have the MFJ-1800. And boy was I
surprised when none of my shack full of type N to SMA
adapters didn't work. I can't believe they reversed the
polarity of the center pins for WIFI SMA connectors.
Urrrrgh !!!

The router discussion is interesting I need to keep it
simple. Of my various goals one of them is to passively
receive signals. At least at my level of knowledge it
will be best if the computer links directly to the adapter.

Haven't had the chance to look around but I do like the
Ethernet cable up the tower suggestion. Is there a
particularly good adapter for doing this?

"amdx" wrote in message

" W4NNG" wrote in message
Hello fellow HRO's

I've got a 50ft tower w/ rotor. Been thinking mounting
a 2.4 Ghz WiFi antenna on the rotor to see what it picks
up in way of WAP / WLAN's

To get around cable loss problem was going to put a USB
adapter at antenna then run USB cable up tower. Have
tested USB at ~ 5X it's spec'd range but
suspect the 60 - 70' run will be way too long.

Anyone know of a way to 'remodulate' so to speak to 802.11
wirelessly link the output from the antenna mounted
adapter back to computer?

Thanks for any thoughts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08eVqpPVGiU

Video instructions on a cheap linksys hack.
This would be work but CHEAP CHEAP.

Old June 5th 11, 05:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

" W4NNG" wrote in news:UFhAj.20559$yk5.18269
@newsfe18.lga:

MFJ-1800

http://www.gigaparts.com/parts/gpcpa...nal/nw0054.jpg

Judging by the pic, the Feed looks hackable, I would change that
in a heartbeat, by by booger feed hello n female feed.