Old April 17th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Cobwebb Homebrew

Hi Richard

You might have the answer there. I will ask my friends tomorrow what Ariel's
there using. The G5RV is a homebrew half size with 300ohm vertical feeder
straight into 50ohm coax that has a coax Air Core Choke Ugly Balun in it.

Thanks

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:37:56 +0100, "Barrett"
wrote:

Hi Richard

I have a manual tuner and two auto tuners that I have used and it makes no
difference to improve the received signal. I have also used two different
radios with the same outcome.
I'm wondering if the G5RV is to close and is causing this or if the square
10"x10" mounting plat that I have used in the centre of the Cobwebb might
be
causing the problem.

The G5RV is at the same height as the homebrew Cobwebb and they are about
15ft apart. All other bands do not sharply drop off like 28MHz does on
receive signals.

Thanks

Hi Barrett,

One other thing that comes to mind is you may be cross-polarized,
which for line of sight transmission (and this close proximity so
qualifies) can exhibit substantially depressed signals.

This would mean that your Cobwebb homebrew is very much horizontally
polarized, and that your G5RV has enough slope to it to be
sufficiently vertical to your buddie's vertical signals.

I will let you sort out the particulars - like the buddies are also
vertical (if not, well, there goes that theory).....

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old May 19th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Apr 17, 12:05*am, "Barrett" wrote:
Hi Richard

You might have the answer there. I will ask my friends tomorrow what Ariel's
there using. The G5RV is a homebrew half size with 300ohm vertical feeder
straight into 50ohm coax that has a *coax Air Core Choke Ugly Balun in it.

Cobwebb antenna question? Barrett Antenna 10 February 29th 08 06:29 PM
MA5B VS G3TPW CobWebb Barrett Antenna 1 October 20th 07 10:24 AM
Homebrew Web Site, New Homebrew PODCAST [email protected] Boatanchors 1 August 28th 05 01:12 PM
Cobwebb Antenna Paul Logan Antenna 0 May 16th 04 11:45 PM
cobwebb David Browne Antenna 6 March 17th 04 08:13 AM