Old April 2nd 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Suggestions for Intermittent Antenna?

My 40M beam works only intermittently. Typically under normal
conditions, the received signals are weak and the SWR is very high.
If I rotate the antenna, it "comes alive" in some directions and works
fine for a while, then dies again. In all cases, if I transmit into it
with a KW is comes alive and works fine for a while (few minutes) and
then dies again. A single dit will fix it. 100W does not do it.

I replaced the coax which runs around the rotator and it made no
difference. I just recently learned that a local friend also has an
intermittent antenna which can be restored by transmitting a KW into it.

Is this a common problem? is there a generic solution? Any hints
would be appreciated. Note that it is not too easy when up on the tower
to jiggle things while someone on the ground tries to watch the SWR and
shout back and forth. We tried that when we replaced the coax.

Thanks!

Bob W8ERD
Old April 2nd 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Apr 2, 11:52 am, Bob Dixon wrote:
[...]

What you have is an electrical connection that is physically an
electrical
circuit but has a corrosion build up at the joint. A poorly connected
pressure
on the coax is often the cause. Change to a soldered connection and
make
sure the connection is tight. If you have twisted wires on the antenna
put
wire nuts on them.to increase pressure on the joint.
The antenna itself can create similar problems if you have not used a
conductive grease
at telescopic joint connections
Have fun
Art

Old April 3rd 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Bob Dixon" wrote in message
[...]

This antenna is probably going to have to come down for a look-see. I
would suspect something very near the area closest to the mast, but
those coils are a suspect too.

Running high power into the antenna might fix it, or might burn a coil
or other part up. I guess the rationale was to heat up an intermittent
connection, and "weld" it back together. Hoo boy, I'd pass on that.

Setting the antenna down will allow you to do some maintenance on the
whole thing. If you have one intermittent, problems can show up in other
places too, so its time to bite the bullet. Certainly not pleasant with
a 40 meter beam.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old April 3rd 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dear Bob: Great to hear from another of Kraus' boys. I had a similar
problem with a large LPDA after it had been up for a while. Its pattern
went backwards. It had to be taken down whereupon a loose connection was
found. So many things to go wrong.

At least better weather is coming. 73, Mac N8TT
--
J. McLaughlin; Michigan, USA
Home:
"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
what brand/model? the 40-2cd has a known problem with the loading coil
connections becoming intermittant that gives symptoms just like that.
other loading coils, baluns, or matching section connections may do the
same thing on other models.

Old April 4th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tam Tam is offline

"Bob Dixon" wrote in message
[...]

- 73 de Mike N3LI -- Hide quoted text -

I had a problem like that with a little Yagi for 10M I bought at a
hamfest. The Aluminum rod for the gamma match was riveted to the coax
connector. Repair was to replace the Al tube with a brass one and a
new connector was soldered to the tube.

Jimmie

About the same here with a CushCraft 2m beam. Very intermittent. The SO239
shell was supposed to make contact by virtue of being screwed into an
aluminum angle iron. It didn't. Replaced the SO239.

Tam/WB2TT

Antenna Suggestions, Please ? Robert11 Antenna 5 June 16th 07 12:10 AM
antenna suggestions? LJ Shortwave 8 March 19th 04 03:16 PM
REQ: Antenna suggestions Foopy Antenna 3 October 10th 03 03:54 PM
40M HF antenna suggestions Mark Sheffield Antenna 13 September 20th 03 08:49 PM
Antenna Suggestions Ed Price Antenna 1 September 6th 03 01:54 AM