Old February 29th 04, 03:08 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"Richard" wrote in message

"Tam/WB2TT" wrote in message
Richard,

Why don't you go to the web site you referenced, and click on "Ask

seller
question", or doesn't he know? I did not read the whole thing. With the

The seller does not know.

Funny, but figuring out what frequency an antenna might be for, even with
the physical and electrical parameters spelled out must be more difficult
than I imagined. I'm really surprised that after giving these details

lower
down in the thread, the antenna cannot be figured. I'm gobsmacked.

It can be figured out, but it is a lot of work. If you have the actual
antenna, I would measure the SWR at some frequencies, starting at 10 or 11
meters. Of course, if you have access to an MFJ Antenna analyzer, you are in
luck.

Tam/WB2TT

Old February 29th 04, 04:16 PM
Richard

"Stevens" wrote in message
Have you tried to put the model number (I couldn't read it in the
picture) into Google to see what it returns?

Yea, done that and nuthin'.

I wonder what the quarter wave frequency would be for a length of wire 30"
long with a base coil of approximately 0.330uH. Same wonder with a 0.660 uH
coil.

Old February 29th 04, 05:33 PM
Richard Clark

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 12:58:41 -0000, "Richard"
wrote:
I'm really surprised that after giving these details lower
down in the thread, the antenna cannot be figured. I'm gobsmacked.

Hi Richard,

You would be even more so if you had sat through a cycle of
correspondence of trying to make sense of the Patent for that same
antenna. We get a lot of that too, and at that point, some may
respond briefly because Patents don't have to make sense. Would you
care to delve into the mysteries of a Faster than Light antenna? Just
needs magnets in the right place (or was that for better gas
mileage?). Some details just don't add up to better understanding.

We even get Patent holders who come here to proclaim their latest
invention, and then ask us how it works - or worse, proclaim it does
work and it is our bound obligation and duty to prove it.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old February 29th 04, 05:48 PM
Reg Edwards

I wonder what the quarter wave frequency would be for a length of wire 30"
long with a base coil of approximately 0.330uH. Same wonder with a 0.660

uH
coil.

====================================

Rich, wonder no longer.

Download program BOTLOAD2.

For a 30" rod -

With base loading coil 0.33 uH, Fres = 69.1 MHz.

With a base loading coil 0.66 uH, Fres = 55.7 MHz.

----
Reg, G4FGQ
.................................................. ..........
Regards from Reg, G4FGQ
For Free Radio Design Software go to
http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp
.................................................. ..........

Old February 29th 04, 07:29 PM
Richard

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
I wonder what the quarter wave frequency would be for a length of wire

30"
long with a base coil of approximately 0.330uH. Same wonder with a

0.660
uH
coil.

====================================

Rich, wonder no longer.

Download program BOTLOAD2.

For a 30" rod -

With base loading coil 0.33 uH, Fres = 69.1 MHz.

With a base loading coil 0.66 uH, Fres = 55.7 MHz.

The antenna has three radials, and each has a loading coil right at the
begining.

Now I would have thought that at the feedpoint, the impedance would be low,
so I think then one would assume the radials are suppossed to acting as 1/4
wavelength radials. If that were true, then the freqency at which the
radials are quarter wavelength would be the operating frequency of the
antenna.

I've remeasured the coils after removing the rubber insulation to get a
better look.

For Radial #1

Length: 6mm
O.D.: 11mm
Turns: 9
Pitch: closewound

For Radial #2

Length: 6mm
O.D.: 11mm
Turns: 9
Pitch: closewound

For Radial #3

Lenngth: 13mm
O.D.: 11mm
Turns: 20
Pitch: closewound

I wonder if the coils should all be different, but by mistake the radials 1
& 2 are identical. I just don't know.

The new length of the radial is 72mm orabout 28.5". They are 2mm diameter
stainless steel rods.

I tried to use Botload2, but not sure what I'm doing. Can you please do the
two calculations again Reg? Ta.

Old February 29th 04, 09:25 PM
Reg Edwards

I see, you wish to know the two resonant frequencies of the radials.

Measure the dimensions of the radial loading coils and calculate their
inductance. Make no attempt to measure inductance.

First you will have to enter a crude frequency into program BOTLOAD2.

Then insert the overall length of a radial into the program. You MUST
include the length of the loading coil in the length.

Also insert the diameter of the radial in the program.

Use keys 1 and 2 to VARY frequency up and down until the program indicates
the value of loading coil is equal to its actual value. ie., the value you
have calculated from its dimensions.

The frequency at which the indicated coil inductance is equal to the value
you have calculated is the resonant frequency of the radial.

You don't really need the coil-design part of the program. Initially just
enter some crudely correct values for the dimensions. But you can use it to
check your calculation of coil inductance.

You will be using the program in a somewhat different manner to its primary
purpose. You are using it to measure frequency whereas frequency is really
a program input parameter.

The only output parameter you are interested in is coil inductance.

Let me know how you get on.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

==================================

Old March 1st 04, 01:51 AM
Richard Harrison

Richard Clark wrote:
"---patents don`t have to make sense."

A search to show the patent application is for something not already
patented is, I think, a part of the process.

This patent search may favor the impractical to the extent that sane
knowing people choose not to pursue the impractical, so no prior patent
may be found.

The patent office may issue a patent for a Yagi / Uda antenna in which
the director is longer than the driven element and the reflector is
shorter than the driven element.

Many patents either don`t work as claimed or have such limited utility
that they aren`t imitated.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI